Bare-bones Transporter Kombi day van - how important is sound deadening, heat insulation etc?

onetwothree

TL;DR : Questions to those who lined their van to minimise road noise - was it worth it? does it make a huge difference? Is noise and comfort really that terrible in an unlined van?

---------

Longer version :

Not long started down the road of looking into getting a camper. After a month or so we're still not much closer to making a decision.

It needs to seat 4 (and a dog) and ideally sleep 2, maybe sometimes 3, or more with an awning. The ideal vehicle for us would be a California Beach, but finding one with the spec we want is expensive, especially now as they seem overpriced everywhere as VW don't currently make them for the UK market anymore.

We don't want a kitchen in it, have no need for a sink or a cooker all the time - we'd rather have the space. I'm think of the vehicle more like a big metal go-anywhere tent without all the faff.

The current plan is to buy a well specced Transporter Kombi - LWB, adaptive cruise control, maybe 4motion - then get it converted into a day van somewhere, somehow, eventually.

In the mean time though, once we get something, I'd like to use the van 'as it' for a while. Keep the Kombi seats for the kids for day trips etc, but I'd probably go camp in it and just make do with something like the £90 IKEA bed I've seen on this forum which looks great, or use one of the many bed attachments/pods that makes use of the kombi seats folded down.

There's a huge part of me that wants a Caravelle instead because it's a much nicer everyday car with all the trimmings and luxuries you could want, and it would also make an excellent day van and part-time camper, but the future conversion possibilities offered by Transporters seem much wider (mainly pop top availability for more internal head height and a bed for one of the kids) .

I'm just wondering how bare-bones some people do it I guess? The majority of conversions I see are 'full' conversions - kitchens, lining, heaters, the works.

Has anyone here camped in an off-the-shelf Kombi (or Caravelle!) regularly and enjoyed the experience? Anyone just live with the boxy plywood lining and make the most of it as is?

TL;DR : Questions to those who lined their van to minimise road noise - was it worth it? does it make a huge difference? Is noise and comfort really that terrible in an unlined van?

---------

Longer version :

Not long started down the road of looking into getting a camper. After a month or so we're still not much closer to making a decision.

It needs to seat 4 (and a dog) and ideally sleep 2, maybe sometimes 3, or more with an awning. The ideal vehicle for us would be a California Beach, but finding one with the spec we want is expensive, especially now as they seem overpriced everywhere as VW don't currently make them for the UK market anymore.

We don't want a kitchen in it, have no need for a sink or a cooker all the time - we'd rather have the space. I'm think of the vehicle more like a big metal go-anywhere tent without all the faff.

The current plan is to buy a well specced Transporter Kombi - LWB, adaptive cruise control, maybe 4motion - then get it converted into a day van somewhere, somehow, eventually.

In the mean time though, once we get something, I'd like to use the van 'as it' for a while. Keep the Kombi seats for the kids for day trips etc, but I'd probably go camp in it and just make do with something like the £90 IKEA bed I've seen on this forum which looks great, or use one of the many bed attachments/pods that makes use of the kombi seats folded down.

There's a huge part of me that wants a Caravelle instead because it's a much nicer everyday car with all the trimmings and luxuries you could want, and it would also make an excellent day van and part-time camper, but the future conversion possibilities offered by Transporters seem much wider (mainly pop top availability for more internal head height and a bed for one of the kids) .

I'm just wondering how bare-bones some people do it I guess? The majority of conversions I see are 'full' conversions - kitchens, lining, heaters, the works.

Has anyone here camped in an off-the-shelf Kombi (or Caravelle!) regularly and enjoyed the experience? Anyone just live with the boxy plywood lining and make the most of it as is?
Hi.. @onetwothree ...We use an almost bare bones kombi ...apart from a very basic Slidepod ( just storage and bed ) but when camping everything goes in the van and then unloaded into our awning tent.... It came with the comfort dash ..sunroof and lots more ...
the real only changes to stock vehicle are. New sound system..sound/insulation..leisure battery.. it works for us

A347D967-A226-4974-B7B5-E8E5272AC06A.jpeg

I'm in a similar position as just about to go on our fist camping trip in the Kombi. Like you don't want a fully fitted kitchen at the moment as like the flexibility the Kombi gives. Using a gazebo for the day and currently building a wooden frame for the back (attaching to tie down bolts) that I'll fix some ply across so its level with the folder rear seats. Some sort of mattress / cushions on top of that and we have a bed. Only a temp fix but should at least allow us to see if its something we enjoy...

I'm in a similar position as just about to go on our fist camping trip in the Kombi. Like you don't want a fully fitted kitchen at the moment as like the flexibility the Kombi gives. Using a gazebo for the day and currently building a wooden frame for the back (attaching to tie down bolts) that I'll fix some ply across so its level with the folder rear seats. Some sort of mattress / cushions on top of that and we have a bed. Only a temp fix but should at least allow us to see if its something we enjoy...
Forgot to add already applied sound deading / insulation and scheduled to get the suspension upgraded end Aug.

Forgot to add already applied sound deading / insulation and scheduled to get the suspension upgraded end Aug.

Thanks for the reply @VanDamMan and @Whitty.

How were your vans before the sound deadening went in? You glad you got it put in? Does it make a massive difference, or is it just a little bit nicer to drive because of it?

We’ve just got ours back from being converted, but we put in 3 layers of insulation (deadmat, dodo mat and then the converter added in plastic wool too), and the difference in noise is huge. It’s now probably quieter than the Volvo I used to have. We will have to see what difference it makes to the heat when we finally use it this weekend. We probably went overkill on the deadmat (we put it everywhere, rather than 50%), and we spent about £300 on insulation

I only read the TL;DR version, but yes, yes and yes

Mine is a kombi camper with all removable rear units, I still have the front twin kombi seat in, works well for me in about 20
Min I can take the lot out and it’s a van again

That looks incredible. Did you make the units yourself, or are they available to buy online?

Thanks for the reply @VanDamMan and @Whitty.

How were your vans before the sound deadening went in? You glad you got it put in? Does it make a massive difference, or is it just a little bit nicer to drive because of it?
Again Yes.. to all...prior to this lots of road noise and the rear panels vibrated ..again did far to much ( see pic ) but nicer to drive after

6EA2CE58-87F5-4263-8C6C-E29A1E2E8020.jpeg975603A3-A50F-4501-9006-2722EECBFA88.jpeg

Hi @onetwothree We recently bought a new van and have done exactly what you are thinking of. As the van has to transport 5 of us we need the back seats left in. We also need to cart sail back and forth to the sailing club without them getting damaged. I built a simple box in the back so that the rolled sails slide in and extend under the back seats. For the bed we bought a jaybe bed and that now folds out over the fold flat back seats. I had to make a couple of stand offs to get the bed level. When going camping, the box provides storage and the bed folds up against the back seats. A drive away awning becomes the kitchen / lounge and the kids sleep in a small pop up tent. We have tested this setup and it works for us.

IMG-20200724-WA0008.jpeg

IMG-20200724-WA0006.jpeg

IMG-20200724-WA0004.jpeg

IMG-20200724-WA0002.jpeg

IMG-20200724-WA0000.jpeg

Hi @onetwothree. I built a simple box in the back so that the rolled sails slide in and extend under the back seats...

That's a really neat set up! I'm no woodworking master, but I've made a few things in the past and something like that should be within my capabilities. Love the bed idea too.

I would love to have the skills and time to make something like @stuart-t6 has in his photos above, but I think I'd be able to cobble together something more basic along these lines. Thanks for the inspiration.

My T6 Kombi is also my daily car.
I lined it with the three layers already mentioned. Just got cab doors to do when I upgrade the speakers.
Lining / proofing has made a real difference.
So much quieter inside, nicer for kids on journeys .

Last edited:
Back