How.... how do you afford a van?

Yes understand that just meant if you saved a bit plus your loan would get you a better van!
Not sure if I missed it but what’s your requirements or must haves?
Aircon
Euro6 etc

Black blue or green are the mrs's requirements (van colour not a bloody good hiding)

I want sub 150k miles ideally sub 100k
SWB
Not a bi turbo
T32 for payload freedom
Fsh
Definitely aircon so looking at highlines obvs
Cruise control
Euro 6 not essential but welcome
I like the look of T6's but would def have a T5.1

I have a stack saved on autotrader
I don't gon on FB marketplace

Black blue or green are the mrs's requirements (van colour not a bloody good hiding)

I want sub 150k miles ideally sub 100k
SWB
Not a bi turbo
T32 for payload freedom
Fsh
Definitely aircon so looking at highlines obvs
Cruise control
Euro 6 not essential but welcome
I like the look of T6's but would def have a T5.1

I have a stack saved on autotrader
I don't gon on FB marketplace
A Highline would have been nice but I couldn’t have stretched to that, so went for a Startline with business pack. It has aircon, rear reversing sensors, electric windows with heated mirrors. Yes it’s basic with the black bumpers & not much in the way of other toys & gadgets etc but none of that bothers me. You can get cruise control added for not very much & I can add other bits and pieces as I go if I feel I need to

Rhis is mine potentially but I'm worriwd about underneath and rhe noise when it turna off. Any mechanics can offer feedback perhaps? Cheers

Can you install a pop top on a caravelle/shuttle (window van) - no issues with rigidity?
Yes, but it's a more complex and costly task as they have roof mounted air con which needs relocating. Much involved than just cutting the m metal out of a panel van.

As a result, not many places will pop top a Caravelle.

Well am a bit stuck. I really like the van, they'll knock off almost a grand for my old car which is unexpected but I'm left with a lot of issues. If I buy as is.

1. The van engine bay moo's when you turn it off N75 actuator

2. The aircon works but only when full blast on the blower is selected any other setting and theres nothing so a new fan motor or whatever is needed.

3. The steering wheel control buttons don't work at all so I can't access any of the menus at all so that's no good.

4.there appears to be an active oil leak and lot of oil on the rear end of the prop shaft and surronding area (I think) very concerning as it says says the diff was serviced.

5. The exhaust looks like it will blow away and is falling apart.

Further minor issues are

the passenger window button doesn't close the window, the electric drivers wing mirror doesnt return when you fold them away (with the button)

Should I walk away or ask for money off?

Well am a bit stuck. I really like the van, they'll knock off almost a grand for my old car which is unexpected but I'm left with a lot of issues. If I buy as is.

2. The aircon works but only when full blast on the blower is selected any other setting and theres nothing so a new fan motor or whatever is needed.

3. The steering wheel control buttons don't work at all so I can't access any of the menus at all so that's no good.

4.there appears to be an active oil leak and lot of oil on the rear end of the prop shaft and surronding area (I think) very concerning as it says says the diff was serviced.

Further minor issues are

the passenger window button doesn't close the window, the electric drivers wing mirror doesnt return when you fold them away (with the button)

Sounds enough to put me off if they’re not prepared to put everything right before you buy

Sounds enough to put me off if they’re not prepared to put everything right before you buy
Yeah I agree. It's a big list but then the price is just below 15k so maybe that reflects the issues. I could see it easily costing a couple of grand for me to get it fixed myself. Meh

I could see it easily costing a couple of grand for me to get it fixed myself.
Or a lot more than that! They’re only the things that you’ve identified and they paint a picture of general neglect which to my very non-expert brain doesn’t bode well for the future and almost anything engine or gearbox related in a modern VW van is big bucks. Personally, I’d be walking away, keep stashing money in the pot and try to find another one when I can afford a bit more.

Doesn’t sound terrible the state of the van. If you are handy you could possibly fix the issues with not much in terms of parts but keep into account lots of time. The engine is pretty much buried and any work takes a lot longer than working a car.
Most of the engine work is front end off. You also need space!

Use the MOT checker site to see if the MOTs fail a lot and if advisories have been done. I always do the advisories as I want to keep my car in top shape. It's an additional source of info on how its been looked after or not.

Further minor issues are

If they won’t fix any of the issues to sell a van just imagine how hard it will be to get a warranty repair.
If you accept the warranty is effectively worthless, they are probably not disclosing other problems and you have money to spend on likely repairs then throw your money at them.
Personally I’d run not walk.
It pays to have a poker face when buying anything for big £.

If they won’t fix any of the issues to sell a van just imagine how hard it will be to get a warranty repair.
If you accept the warranty is effectively worthless, they are probably not disclosing other problems and you have money to spend on likely repairs then throw your money at them.
Personally I’d run not walk.

Yep, it seems more like a disposal of a van rather than selling one.

Reactions: CAB
Back