How do I drain my fresh water tank?

Rico996

Having just bought my Campervan and having a demo on the water filling,what wasn’t covered was drainage of the fresh water tank when not in use for long period of time or the onset of winter freezing. Can anyone advise me on the easiest way,if not the only way of draining it? Advice would be greatly received

Many thanks for the link! It was most helpful. It’s a pity I didn’t have this knowledge beforehand from Denby? I’ll be happy now I know how to drain the van. Again,thanks

Picked up our new camper last week, and also had the same question, as in these days of COVID, no handover was completed and just a short video sent to email to demonstrate the roof, bed, fridge etc.
Anyway after a bit of scrambling about, it is an underslung tank, and although the filler is in the side of the vehicle, the drain pipe is under the vehicle in the middle. So, literally had to scramble right under the van to drain surplus water off.
Not the best of designs!

Might be worth fitting an electrically operated drain valve like I did, operates from a button on the dash so no more scrabbling about underneath.

Picked up our new camper last week, and also had the same question, as in these days of COVID, no handover was completed and just a short video sent to email to demonstrate the roof, bed, fridge etc.
Anyway after a bit of scrambling about, it is an underslung tank, and although the filler is in the side of the vehicle, the drain pipe is under the vehicle in the middle. So, literally had to scramble right under the van to drain surplus water off.
Not the best of designs!
Maybe an extension is called for? ( so long as it don’t get torn off on a speed bump?)

If it’s dry and I can be arsed I slide under the van and remove the tank drain cap.
Otherwise I run the tap and drain it, the battery can easily handle it.

Here’s a couple of pics of my underneath.
as you can see, not the easiest to get to!
Even draining all the water with the tap, it does still leave a small amount in the tank, so you have to undo the big round cap to empty it completely, otherwise, a small amount will stay in the tank, which over a period if left will grow all sorts of nasties!4DBE6453-BCC3-4EBD-BA4B-867747755369.jpeg1909E34D-5705-451A-BC5C-05FC2D8C3FD7.jpeg

Back