How common are EGR problems really?

My van is booked in tomorrow for the EGR replacement. £867 :rolleyes:

Also been researching re-mapping and apparently this can be used to eliminate the EGR system with the added advantage of better performance. Anyone out there done this or have an opinion ??????

Thanks for replies

Also been researching re-mapping and apparently this can be used to eliminate the EGR system with the added advantage of better performance. Anyone out there done this or have an opinion ??????

Is there any risk that the engine could suffer problems down the line caused by the EGR-problmes?
Could any of the soot make it in to the engine and clog stuff. Like piston rings, valves etc.

Is there any risk that the engine could suffer problems down the line caused by the EGR-problmes?
Could any of the soot make it in to the engine and clog stuff. Like piston rings, valves etc.
How far is down the line? I think I read somewhere that vehicle manufacturers are designing for an absolute maximum 10 year life cycle. Emission regulations will probably have the heavy polluters so heavily taxed that they won’t be viable to run. 35MPG isn’t the future.
I’ll probably end up with a very comfortable garden shed.

Does anyone know the revised EGR part number ?

Looking at all the replies here i am thinking that turning off the Stop/Start function would help along with regular long journeys.

This was the latest part number when I bought it. It was manufactured in Aug 2020, and fitted in October.

464ED447-A0F8-4132-AFE7-10B4EABBBDFC.jpeg

So my 2017 204 Bi-Turbo has EGR issues at 45000miles - had the EML reset but it's come back on fairly quickly. I see that the replacement cost has been around the £ 1,000 mark?

I guess this means it's not such a massive job as the T5.1 Bi-Turbo was? That involved removing the front of the van!!

It's pretty annoying that this has developed, especially as I never do short journeys and I would class myself as a spirited driver!

So my 2017 204 Bi-Turbo has EGR issues at 45000miles - had the EML reset but it's come back on fairly quickly. I see that the replacement cost has been around the £ 1,000 mark?

I guess this means it's not such a massive job as the T5.1 Bi-Turbo was? That involved removing the front of the van!!

It's pretty annoying that this has developed, especially as I never do short journeys and I would class myself as a spirited driver!
From my understanding it’s not short journeys that clog the egr, it’s long ones. I believe it doesn’t operate when cold, or under acceleration, but only under steady load, so long journeys. But this has not been confirmed for the T6 as far as I can tell.

Getting my EGR deleted next week - £100 and she's out of my life!

You shouldn't do short journeys because that screws with the DPF.
And you shouldn't do long journeys because that screws with the EGR valve.

:whistle:

What we need is some sort of national lockdown so that we can’t drive our vans, then we can just look at them out of the window parked on the drive.

Oh, hang on a minute.

Getting my EGR deleted next week - £100 and she's out of my life!
I’d be keen to know how you get on, and whether you notice a difference. I really don’t like the idea of an EGR, but understand why it’s there
Mines not out of warranty yet, but I might do this when the time comes, but I really want a Pendle map too.

The longevity with the increased temperature is my main concern as MOT will never know.

I’d be keen to know how you get on, and whether you notice a difference. I really don’t like the idea of an EGR, but understand why it’s there
Mines not out of warranty yet, but I might do this when the time comes, but I really want a Pendle map too.

The longevity with the increased temperature is my main concern as MOT will never know.

I'll post up. My van is remapped (Big Fish Tuning) and they're going to delete the EGR (I should've asked them to do it last year when they mapped it!)

I'll post up. My van is remapped (Big Fish Tuning) and they're going to delete the EGR (I should've asked them to do it last year when they mapped it!)
Presumably you are getting the dpf deleted too? Would be interested in the results

Presumably you are getting the dpf deleted too? Would be interested in the results

Only a software delete on the EGR and not really much to say at the mo, expect the warning light has gone! I haven't had anything done to the DPF but I expect it'll need looking at some time in the future but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it (£500-600, so not in a rush!)

Not sure how true it is, but I was told by a reputable diesel tuning place that the software that manages the EGR also looks after the DPF regens. I was told that if they deleted the EGR they’d have to remove the DPF physically as it would no longer regen. Be interested to see how you get on. :cool:

I ended up putting a new EGR on.

Not sure how true it is, but I was told by a reputable diesel tuning place that the software that manages the EGR also looks after the DPF regens. I was told that if they deleted the EGR they’d have to remove the DPF physically as it would no longer regen. Be interested to see how you get on. :cool:

I ended up putting a new EGR on.

I've heard exactly the same. If you get rid of the EGR you have to lose the DPF, but don't quote me...

Back