Hotspot problem when connect to headunit

Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
When I have my phones hotsot on to share my internet connection all is fine. However when get in the van my phone connects to the Discover Media head unit and my hotspot disconnects abd becomes invisible.
Is it possible for someone to connect to my hotspot whilst we are travelling in the van?

TIA

Sounds like you have the WiFi hot spot on the Discover Media switched on? When the phone connects to WiFi it drops its own hot spot.

Likewise, if you switch on your phones Hot Spot, it will drop any current WiFi connections it has.

I use my phone as a hot spot for all our devices whilst connected via Android auto all the time when we are travelling. Never bothered with the Discover Media's own hot spot option as it needs its own dongle to provide data.

Only one WiFi connection can be established at a time so you have to choose which
Sounds like you have the WiFi hot spot on the Discover Media switched on? When the phone connects to WiFi it drops its own hot spot.

Likewise, if you switch on your phones Hot Spot, it will drop any current WiFi connections it has.

I use my phone as a hot spot for all our devices whilst connected via Android auto all the time when we are travelling. Never bothered with the Discover Media's own hot spot option as it needs its own dongle to provide data.

Thanks, I connect to the vans head unit via bluetooth though not wifi.

Thanks, I connect to the vans head unit via bluetooth though not wifi.
Check on your phone to see if it is connected to any WiFi connections. Dash Cam or something else in the van maybe? As Dilbert says, if you are connected to a WiFi the hotspot will disconnect.

Not teaching you suck eggs, but my kids iPads often refuse to connect to my iPhone 11, sometimes I have to reboot their iPads and other times I have to reboot my phone too. I’ve got family hot spot sharing switched on, but it all seems a bit flakey.

As an experiment, turn off WiFi before turning on Hotspot.

Thanks, do you mean whilst in the van connected to the head unit, turn off wifi, then switch on hotspot. Can try that tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Check on your phone to see if it is connected to any WiFi connections. Dash Cam or something else in the van maybe? As Dilbert says, if you are connected to a WiFi the hotspot will disconnect.

Thanks will do. No dash cam or anything else I can think of. :thumbsup:

Thanks, do you mean whilst in the van connected to the head unit, turn off wifi, then switch on hotspot. Can try that tomorrow.

And also try it when you first enable the Hotspot before getting to the van. It should just make sure WiFi is off before it tries to connect to something.

Back