Turtle roof rails and bars

Oldmanriver

VIP Member
Hi new on here but just purchased a set of Turtle roof rails and bars for my T28 2017, in the process of conversion. Im interested in what folks think of the build quality especially the plastic mounting inserts for the channels, The plastic caps to go over the bolt holes are too small and the front and rear bolts appear to be too short ie not sure if the bolt goes all the way through he captive nut. Im thinking of returning them but can't find any items similar on the web, what are your experiences please?

Hi new on here but just purchased a set of Turtle roof rails and bars for my T28 2017, in the process of conversion. Im interested in what folks think of the build quality especially the plastic mounting inserts for the channels, The plastic caps to go over the bolt holes are too small and the front and rear bolts appear to be too short ie not sure if the bolt goes all the way through he captive nut. Im thinking of returning them but can't find any items similar on the web, what are your experiences please?
Similar experience yesterday….I even used the plastic insert the opposite way road to the instructions and it seemed to fit better but still could get the front and rear bottles to go in properly they are at least 5 mm too short

return them, and order a set of treefrog roof racks, they're suction mounted, so I went for them to go with my pop top. sounds scary, but they're very strong - just think builders use them for lifting very heavy pieces of glass in. easily removable too. (ofc the only down side is, someone could nick them!)

Bit of success with the turtle roof rails. used threaded M6 steel bar and made may own studs and fitted them to the roof using M6 plain nuts and spring washers, 25mm plain washers and 25mm rubber washers under. had to trim out the holes in the plastic inserts but all then fit nicely in the gutter allowing the rails to sit down nicely on a firm foot. M6 nilock nuts and washers then fitted from above and all screwed down firmly.

IMG_2278.jpeg

IMG_2279.jpeg

IMG_2281.jpeg

IMG_2282.jpeg

IMG_2284.jpeg

IMG_2276.jpeg

Tried to fit a set of Turtle Roof Rails today gave in after about an hour as bolts appear to short, Oldmanriver like your method think I will copy this can you tell me what length you cut the M6 rod to. Thanks

Ascot can’t really remember! I fitted all three then offered the rail up and measured how much protruded, then subtracted the height of a stiff it (nylon insert lock) plus two threads. Hope that helps? Have fun!

I fitted my Turtles with threaded bar a few weeks ago by following this thread:

I went with the suggested 75mm and 95mm - albeit in regards to a different brand - and it was absolutely fine.

As mentioned upthread those plastic brackets are a bit janky ... but the bars are cool.

Back