Buying Advice

mindthegap

I have seen a van advertised which I am interested in but am new to VW Transporters so wanted to check what to look out for.

It is a 2016 LWB T30 Highline Euro 6 on 90K miles, full service history with recent service, cambelt change and water pump.
It has also been lowered 40mm with adjustable Bilstein shocks and springs and has new Tomahawk Kato alloys and BFG K02 A/T tyres.

What should I look out for at this sort of age and mileage. I'm thinking things like:

Clutch / DMF
EGR
Suspension

Are these vans generally reliable going past 100K miles or potential money pits to get everything sorted?

Thanks.

Better to buy a cherished van with good history and higher miles than an unloved one with a patchy history and lower miles. Just be aware though, if you hang around this forum having expensive ideas put in your head, it'll still be a money pit even if it's mechanically sound!

Are these vans generally reliable going past 100K miles or potential money pits to get everything sorted?
Some have found they are money pits after warranty. I wouldn’t be concerned about 100K miles.
All the parts you have listed are consumables, part of the cost of maintaining a roadworthy vehicle. Allow for eventual replacement along with all the other consumables.

Hi,

Considering a VW Transporter at 90K miles is a good move. You're right to focus on the clutch/DMF, EGR system, and suspension for potential issues. Regular maintenance is key for these vans. They can be reliable past 100K miles if well cared for.
Get a mechanic to inspect it before buying.

Mindthegap??
Are you the geezer of YouTube that I follow?? :thumbsup:
My old T5 I sold on with nearly 200k on the clock.
I bought it at 66k on the clock at 3 years old. Had it for 13 years and still regret selling it!
Onwards and upwards! Chin chin!

Back