Help request - conversion co. say no need for solar panel.

There's been many a time sitting with engine running to get those beers cold. Wont charge fully as said but you'll try anything in desperation for a cold beer. Fit a panel to minimise desperation

It does depend on usage, but if you want to spend any meaningful time off hookup, a solar panel is invaluable. Unless you’re on a road trip and moving on every night, a DC-DC doesn’t really make up for a lack of solar.

Hi guys, I am due to have my van converted in a few weeks now, all going well. I will be getting a 100 amh leisure battery with split charge relay and 7amh battery charging system. There will be LED lighting in the van, a dometic cre50 compressor fridge, 240 v hook up, 12 v sockets and usb charging sockets. We are a family if 4 - 2 adults 2 teens and would hope to spend a couple of nights off grid on our travels. Whenever I have asked our conversion co. about getting a solar panel they have said we don’t need one because the leisure battery will be enough for a couple of nights off-grid, and if the battery goes low that we will just need to start the van for ten minutes to have a full leisure battery again. So based on that advice I thought we might just see how we go and then get portable solar panels if we find we need them. I’d really appreciate if someone could let me know if that sounds like a good plan, and also if i need to ask for some additional wiring to be done at the conversion stage to facilitate the connecting to portable solar panel. Thanks so much for any advice or words of wisdom! Susan :)
@Dellmassive is the man to answer your question.

just noticed as I scrolled through thread he is already all over it. Nice one @Dellmassive

We have a 50L fridge, led lights, usb etc and often do 2 or 3 nights off grid, when our solar wasn't working, we got MAXIMUM 2 nights from the battery and minimal use of all the other electrics. Using the night heater, or charging phones etc will quickly take this down to 1 day/night or less.

10 minutes running the van is a joke, we need to run ours for at least 2 hours the fully charge a flat AGM 100ah battery, and that's with DC/DC charger.

conclusion; I would not be without solar. Get it if you can, at least run the wires if you can't.

Even if 10 minutes did do anything for the leisure battery, you should bare in mind that running a modern engine from cold for ust that long and then switching off won't do it any good at all. Rarely might not do any damage but I suspect that making a habit of it wouldn't be a good idea.

A solar panel gives you more flexibility on where you stop. Why not get the solar charger fitted with leads installed so you can attach a portable panel if you want. This is what we have.

Pete

Thanks so much for all your responses. I feel incredibly out of my depth here I must admit... But I am eager to learn more. Can I ask Pete, what is the difference between a solar charger with leads and a solar panel? I am so sorry - this is probably a very silly question to be asking....

You can’t just attach a solar panel to the leisure battery. You need a solar regulator (I called it a charger above) between the solar panel and the battery. Some regulators are dual purpose - they handle the flow of power from the alternator to the leisure battery when you are driving, and the flow of the solar power to the leisure battery when you are parked up.
Dell mentions a Ctek model above that is common.

Pete

We have the solar regulator installed in our van ready to use, but we only connect folding portable solar panels to it when we need to. This avoids having solar panels attached to the van all the time. The solar regulator just springs into life when we attach the solar panels.

Pete

Thanks Pete,
That sound very interesting. Thanks a million for all the information. Much appreciated.
Susan :)

Although a panel won't be much use in the winter.. its a big help in the summer months when if we're lucky will get some sunshine and most of us are enjoying van life..

I'm now on day 8 off grid and my leisure battery is still showing full..

You can see from the leisure battery monitor that the fridge compressor is kicking in overnight, then when the sun came up it recharged it to max and float charged it through the day..

Screenshot_20210717-082555_Battery Monitor.jpg

The panel readout was showing a decent solar return..

Screenshot_20210717-080905_Solar Station.jpg

If your budget can stretch I would add a solar panel as it gives you more freedom from having to run the engine or be tethered by a mains cable..

Last edited:
0n my van I opted for the extra solar panel side by side and yes as stated when sun is out like this weekend
mine can run the fridge my wireless internet hub and phone charger and my wife’s on iPad as well
and the meter is at 100% all if you can afford it well worth the cost would not be without mine now
especially on small none electric sites

We are picking up our new conversion from Cambridge campervans next Saturday so very excited! We have opted for the solar panel even though we will go wild rarely. I feel it provides the extra power insurance others have described. We went with Ctek dc-dc charger.

@JasonW. Excuse my ignorance but what kit are you using to produce that data please?
@Susan. I have no idea about the technical stuff that everybody talks about above but I can say that I've just had 4 days away from a hook up or engine run and my battery still has plenty of life in it - lights have been on in the van and awning when needed, fridge has been running, devices charging and the TV has been on for an hour or so each night. I've got a 160W solar panel on the roof.

Whenever I have asked our conversion co. about getting a solar panel they have said we don’t need one because the leisure battery will be enough for a couple of nights off-grid, and if the battery goes low that we will just need to start the van for ten minutes to have a full leisure battery again. So based on that advice I thought we might just see how we go and then get portable solar panels if we find we need them. I’d really appreciate if someone could let me know if that sounds like a good plan, and also if i need to ask for some additional wiring to be done at the conversion stage to facilitate the connecting to portable solar panel. Thanks so much for any advice or words of wisdom! Susan :)
Its disappointing to hear of campervan salesmen giving ridiculous advice like this Susan. "I'm just a salesman, I've no idea" would have been an honest answer, then you could take the same questions to someone who does - fortunately thats what you did!

@JasonW. Thanks for the response - I thought you might say something like that but asked anyway. I've got a BM2 on both starter and leisure batteries but my solar panel goes straight into the CTek D250SA (ie. no separate regulator).

Back