hello all, just traded my t6 for a 6.1. great to be part of the forum

anto

just took delivery of my new 6.1 transporter, I really like the driving dynamics of the new 6.1 being both quieter and more refined with another 10hp from 140 to euro6 150 is all good. however I am really not happy with the following cheapskate omissions by vw on this version. I have a 6.1 highline same model as my previous t6 and I miss the drivers foot rest, sunglass holder, no sport mode / position in the gearbox, no coasting function, overhead console blanked off, the newly designed storage options in the dash are close to useless, and my biggest gripe is the repositioning of the dash top storage area which has been moved to the right in front of the driver. the resulting reflection onto the windscreen of the tray itself and anything in it is very distracting to the point of being dangerous. how could the design team at vw get this so wrong. I drive with a mat cover over the tray to reduce the reflection. at this point in time I wish I had kept my t6, I just hope the 6.1 grows on me. I changed due to the fact the T7 replacement will be a rebadged transit made in Turkey........not for me, vw has sold its soul as far as I am concerned. as I am the proud owner of x 2 t2 bays and a beetle I've owned every version of transporter to the current 6.1......thats unforgivable. vw have sold their heratige in exchange for maximising profits with their new partnership with Ford.

20230113_102344.jpg

20230113_102319.jpg

20230113_090536.jpg

I think you raise fair complaints - I would really miss the footrest (every automatic I’ve ever driven has them)

just took delivery of my new 6.1 transporter, I really like the driving dynamics of the new 6.1 being both quieter and more refined with another 10hp from 140 to euro6 150 is all good. however I am really not happy with the following cheapskate omissions by vw on this version. I have a 6.1 highline same model as my previous t6 and I miss the drivers foot rest, sunglass holder, no sport mode / position in the gearbox, no coasting function, overhead console blanked off, the newly designed storage options in the dash are close to useless, and my biggest gripe is the repositioning of the dash top storage area which has been moved to the right in front of the driver. the resulting reflection onto the windscreen of the tray itself and anything in it is very distracting to the point of being dangerous. how could the design team at vw get this so wrong. I drive with a mat cover over the tray to reduce the reflection. at this point in time I wish I had kept my t6, I just hope the 6.1 grows on me. I changed due to the fact the T7 replacement will be a rebadged transit made in Turkey........not for me, vw has sold its soul as far as I am concerned. as I am the proud owner of x 2 t2 bays and a beetle I've owned every version of transporter to the current 6.1......thats unforgivable. vw have sold their heratige in exchange for maximising profits with their new partnership with Ford.

View attachment 184959

View attachment 184960

View attachment 184961

Hiya Anto,
They say ‘Retail is detail’ so it is on a vehicle that costs north of 40k!
So the sport mode, paddles, coasting all left off the DSG, that’s retrograde.
I hope the 6.1 new tech makes up for the other shortcomings.
At these prices, there shouldn’t be any shortcomings!
Please let me know how you get on with the new 6.1?
Shrimps on tour
Ps: looks like you’re on the IOM? If so, is there anyone who does camper hire, so we can come over on Ben my Chree foot passenger.

Drove a 6.1 with a view to changing mine , so glad I had a good go in it … absolutly keeping my T6 , in my opinion a far better van

I heard that VW agreed to sell / share EV tech with Ford and part of that deal were wider elements like sharing platforms to make sharing EV tech simpler. Not making excuses for VW but the Transit/Transporter issue appears to be a casualty of wider business deals.

having had a t5.1 for 11 years upgrading to the t6.1 sportliner has for me been a good move,lots of tech upgrades for sure ,i agree with the dash reflection stuff but the lcd display and the multifunction steering wheel and electric doors more than make up for it for me,a few niggly things but all in all love the speed of the 204 engine and the total look of the van,its like driving a range rover and a van mash up!all be it an expensive one

van pic.jpg

I have the DSG in my T6 and was looking through the dash settings this morning. There is a facility to switch off Coasting, so it might just be switched off in the settings by default?

I too have the blanked off upper cubbyhole but a friend who has a T6 camper has a cubby hole but complains that nothing fits in there, and stuff slides out as it is level, not sloped away.

The dash holder reflecting appears abad design indeed. I never use the Sport mode, as it doesn't give any more power, just maintains the current gear a little longer. Thinking about where the power is in diesels, it's low down, so I wonder if anyone ever used Sport mode much.

Hope it grows on you, as you say.
It appears a little silly to rebadge a Transit as a T7! I drove a Mercedes Vito and a Ford Transit before settling on the VW T6. Maybe this is just the usual consolidation of manufactures teaming up with others to Reduce R&D costs? It appears strange when you consider how many models VW produce, and how long the T5/6 variant has been a Cash Cow for them!

Personally I would not be surprised if Skoda get the shell of the T6/6.1 and bring out a Skoda badged T6.2 in the next few years.

Back