Moved to T6.1 after T6 and T5.

Crazymind

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have collected it in the morning. I thought my T6 was forever… and here I am on my T6.1. Mixed feeling as well. I drove my T6 6 hours yesterday to go and collect the T6.1. And I drove 6 hours today to take it back home.Few things are noticeable immediately: foot rest missing, non much space for my phone, Sport mode gone, no paddles. A pillar now plastic, before they were covered in fabric, so the door cards. And of course the big elephant in the room: that dash.
I already miss my beautiful comfort dash and the storage! t6.1 has no storage! Moving to the T6.1 is a bit of a shock ( maybe a bit too dramatic here ). However everything else is better to be fair. Starting with the BiTdi engine: is very well refined, quieter than my 150hp, with less vibrations at idle. In terms of power, my 150 was Pendle mapped (196hp) and you can’t feel much difference! The btdi is probably faster the first 3 gears and push Better in 7th. Sound proof seems better. When idling I have to check the Rpm to check if the engine or running or not. Steering is lighter but it appears sharper. Well done Vw. It seems with the 6.1 Vw has rounded all the sharp corners of the T6. It’s”” smoother to drive, just that little bit more needed.
8-F079576-59-F4-4949-AB51-25-E68-D4-C8645.jpg

IMG-0359.jpg

I have collected it in the morning. I thought my T6 was forever… and here I am on my T6.1. Mixed feeling as well. I drove my T6 6 hours yesterday to go and collect the T6.1. And I drove 6 hours today to take it back home.Few things are noticeable immediately: foot rest missing, non much space for my phone, Sport mode gone, no paddles. A pillar now plastic, before they were covered in fabric, so the door cards. And of course the big elephant in the room: that dash.
I already miss my beautiful comfort dash and the storage! t6.1 has no storage! Moving to the T6.1 is a bit of a shock ( maybe a bit too dramatic here ). However everything else is better to be fair. Starting with the BiTdi engine: is very well refined, quieter than my 150hp, with less vibrations at idle. In terms of power, my 150 was Pendle mapped (196hp) and you can’t feel much difference! The btdi is probably faster the first 3 gears and push Better in 7th. Sound proof seems better. When idling I have to check the Rpm to check if the engine or running or not. Steering is lighter but it appears sharper. Well done Vw. It seems with the 6.1 Vw has rounded all the sharp corners of the T6. It’s”” smoother to drive, just that little bit more needed.
View attachment 206554

View attachment 206555
So why did you buy it? Surely you saw one in a showroom and had a test drive?

Yes I have to agree- I absolutely love my 6.1 but the lack of storage is a bit of a letdown. There isn’t even anywhere to put the drivers manual and the glove box is just about big enough for one pair of gloves!!

Glove box doesn’t have the cooling vent anymore either. Lumbar support gone. And hard plastic on the dash…not anymore that plush and squishy feel…
I am very pleased with the DSG software. If it’s from factory, shifting is fast and at the right rpm. And the engine is punchy enough.
So why did you buy it? Surely you saw one in a showroom and had a test drive?
I have not seen one Caravelle t6.1 in flesh and as already highlighted, everything else is better.

Thanks folks! Finally I can fold the mirrors with the key and there are even footwell lights :)

First tank of fuel gone and to my surprise brim to brim was 39mpg. The engine definitely works in a different band of power compared to the 150 remapped.
1200 rpm to 2000rpm, effortless.

First week with the van and I couldn’t stand a few things Vw should have sorted even on the most basic of the Transporter…
Rubber mats on the dash, glovebox cover and film for the touchscreen, gets filthy in no time.
IMG-0502.jpg

IMG-0505.jpg

IMG-0506.jpg

IMG-0507.jpg

IMG-0509.jpg

Looks like your van has every option on the order list ticked... I dare not ask the cost. Amazing digital dash

Great looking van.Please excuse my ignorance. Am getting a T6.1 California at the weekend. Where fid you get your rubber mats and dashboard cover from?

Thanks mate, I got all from VanX . Search for glovebox magnetic lid and dashboard inserts.
I have also bought the 3 pcs rubber floor mat and rubber dash windscreen from Vanstyle.

Back