Heating For Those Without Eber/webasto

Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Now as the nights are getting cooler I am wondering what people who haven't got heating installed use.

Assuming on electric hookup I think the main options would be either small oil filled radiator or electric blanket (either under or over).

Wondering what are peoples thoughts or solutions for this. (I suppose I could wire my heated motorcycle jacket to the leisure battery but thats not a great solution.)

TIA

We have a Webasto but only use it when we don’t have hookup.
We have a 1-2kw fan heater, 700w screwfix oil filled radiator & an Aldi Electric blanket for when on hookup. We had 5 weeks in the Alps skiing early in the year in temps of -20C, sometimes on hookup & occasionally stealthing it.
The oil filled radiator is silent & can be left on all night. The fan heater makes a similar amount of noise as the Webasto.
The electric blanket works brilliantly, 150W, silent & toasty.
A lot of the hookups in Europe are restricted to 3amps in winter so the oil filled radiator & leccy blanket are fine & we use the Webasto on an evening before bed.

We have the 700W oil filled from screwfix and it works very well (silent).
If we don’t have hook up we freeze as we don’t have a Webasto but it is on the list for next season.

Excellent timing, I'm just looking into this as got a petrol webasto planned but other things have taken the money at the minute (roof etc) so looking at more budget options. We'll be using hook up.

We have a young baby (well 6 months old) and the other half is worried he'll be too cold.
I think the fan heater/oil rad combo should keep the van warm enough?

Great idea with the thermal blanket, but obviously that won't keep young un warm, I still may get one.

I'm also going to get a thermal pop top cover as this made a big difference in the previous T4.

Any other budget options?

We made our own internal thermal liner for the poptop, cost us about £30 to make or thereabouts. There are photos on other threads iirc. We also have a Reimo climacover for the outside to keep the snow & wind off.

We have the 700W oil filled from screwfix and it works very well (silent).
If we don’t have hook up we freeze as we don’t have a Webasto but it is on the list for next season.

I can't find the 700w one, there's a 500w version in black, would that be enough do you think?

We have a Webasto but only use it when we don’t have hookup.
We have a 1-2kw fan heater, 700w screwfix oil filled radiator & an Aldi Electric blanket for when on hookup. We had 5 weeks in the Alps skiing early in the year in temps of -20C, sometimes on hookup & occasionally stealthing it.
The oil filled radiator is silent & can be left on all night. The fan heater makes a similar amount of noise as the Webasto.
The electric blanket works brilliantly, 150W, silent & toasty.
A lot of the hookups in Europe are restricted to 3amps in winter so the oil filled radiator & leccy blanket are fine & we use the Webasto on an evening before bed.

So if you had to choose either the radiator or leccy blanket which would it be?

So if you had to choose either the radiator or leccy blanket which would it be?
Depends, they both do different things. If I had kids with me, the blanket wouldn’t be much use. If it’s not below freezing the radiator would be adequate with some thick bedding. For us, the blanket works well because we can use the Webasto to heat the van & then use the leccy blanket at night time. Personally I would choose the blanket over the radiator due to our circumstances.

Excellent timing, I'm just looking into this as got a petrol webasto planned but other things have taken the money at the minute (roof etc) so looking at more budget options. We'll be using hook up.

We have a young baby (well 6 months old) and the other half is worried he'll be too cold.
I think the fan heater/oil rad combo should keep the van warm enough?

Great idea with the thermal blanket, but obviously that won't keep young un warm, I still may get one.

I'm also going to get a thermal pop top cover as this made a big difference in the previous T4.

Any other budget options?

Why is the population going soft? - we never had heating in bedrooms as babies. I still don't.

Why Norwegian Parents Let Their Kids Nap in Below-Freezing Temperatures

Why is the population going soft? - we never had heating in bedrooms as babies. I still don't.

Why Norwegian Parents Let Their Kids Nap in Below-Freezing Temperatures

I dont have the heating on in my bedroom, but even so it never gets as cold as in the van. I have also slept in tents and woken up and it has been snowing.

However things have advanced and now I can sleep in a heated van if I like.

Do you still drive a car with drum brakes, no power steering ABS etc etc. If not why? You never had it when you were young I would guess.

I understand all these methods for having heating what I’m not convinced about is putting the roof up - surely the skiers don’t ?

We have just got a small 700w Dimplex Chico oil-free column heater, quiet and quick to heat up. Previously used a Delonghi 700w oil-filled which is slightly smaller in size but heavier. Also a small Adax Fan Heater, which has 2 power settings, although only stored in van for "just in case"! We prefer the quiet type rather than whirring fans.
The oil filled one retains heat a bit longer when turned off, but that may be a disadvantage when packing up etc. The Chico casing is cooler to handle.

Back