Heating Fans only working on 4!!!

VWT6JGB

Hello all and thanks in advance if anyone knows how to fix my issue. I have a 2016 T6 which has a problem with the heater/fans. The main issue is that there is now fan/blow on number 1,2, or 3, but number 4 works fine. This is a pain coming into the warmer weather as I can't just have the Aircon on a trickle (1-2) I have to have it full blast 4.

I have contacted some local garages who have told me they can't help and I should go to VW but I know this will cost a lot with VW. One guy told me there is a circuit board located behind the dash that is easy to access which can be swapped out with only 2 screws? He said something about the switches on this board being faulty which can be a common fault?

Any help or advice really appreciated. I would be more than happy to attempt the fix myself if its straight forward.

Thanks!

Got this last week too. My mechanic neighbour said immediately it would be the above mentioned resistor

My 2018 kombi had its resistor changed under extended warranty march 22. Failed again November 22. I swapped out two more resistors, until March 23. It then went into the dealer and had a new fan motor and resistor pack fitted under extended warranty.
So if you change the resistor pack, it could well fail again due to the motor being the underlying issue.

Reactions: mmi
So if you change the resistor pack, it could well fail again due to the motor being the underlying issue.
That's really helpful to know. I've just replaced my resistor due to a blown thermal fuse. It's lasted since 2018 (5 years) but I'll definitely keep an eye on it.
I've put a little video together to help folk diagnose a blown resistor and replace them in their T6:

You can easily replace the thermal fuse for a few pennies / cents.
If you never use fan speed setting 1 in the first place it’s highly unlikely to be a issue.

You can easily replace the thermal fuse for a few pennies / cents.
If you never use fan speed setting 1 in the first place it’s highly unlikely to be a issue.
Both valid points. The problem with replacing the thermal fuses is that you need a spot solder rather than a heat solder. A normal soldering iron tip is about 380-420 degrees C and requires prolonged contact with the metals to ensure the tin flows in and makes a good contact. If that heat reaches the thermal fuse then the fuse will blow as it's attached. So I agree the replacement fuses are cheap, but the trade-off is that you need a little bit more skill/equipment to replace these fuses. Secondly, I wonder where people would stand with warranty issues if they fixed their own resistors and then had an issue. That said I've already ordered replacement fuses for the resistor so I can "Fix" it and have it ready as a spare.
I've got to be honest and say that the amount of corrosion on my 5 year old resister meant I was quite happy to swap the whole resistor out. Corrosion on electrical units is never a good thing... poor design and metal choices, probably to keep the costs down.
The point you made about never using setting one is excellent :thumbsup:. Basically saying the slowest fan speed equals the highest resistance and therefore the most heat produced by the resistor pack. Great observations. Thanks for sharing

That's really helpful to know. I've just replaced my resistor due to a blown thermal fuse. It's lasted since 2018 (5 years) but I'll definitely keep an eye on it.
I've put a little video together to help folk diagnose a blown resistor and replace them in their T6:
Thanks for this. Made locating and replacing the resistor easy. This is the one I used

Both valid points. The problem with replacing the thermal fuses is that you need a spot solder rather than a heat solder. A normal soldering iron tip is about 380-420 degrees C and requires prolonged contact with the metals to ensure the tin flows in and makes a good contact. If that heat reaches the thermal fuse then the fuse will blow as it's attached. So I agree the replacement fuses are cheap, but the trade-off is that you need a little bit more skill/equipment to replace these fuses. Secondly, I wonder where people would stand with warranty issues if they fixed their own resistors and then had an issue. That said I've already ordered replacement fuses for the resistor so I can "Fix" it and have it ready as a spare.
I've got to be honest and say that the amount of corrosion on my 5 year old resister meant I was quite happy to swap the whole resistor out. Corrosion on electrical units is never a good thing... poor design and metal choices, probably to keep the costs down.
The point you made about never using setting one is excellent :thumbsup:. Basically saying the slowest fan speed equals the highest resistance and therefore the most heat produced by the resistor pack. Great observations. Thanks for sharing

I just used multi-core solder, nothing special. I used a small strip of lead as a heat sink to prevent damage to the thermal fuse.

Resistor replaced @39k. A bit fiddly but all done inside 20 mins. The 5.5mm spanner was a god send, along with a 5.5mm socket.
Thanks to those who shared the YouTube guides!

Hi anyone know where I can get a replacement resistor? I’ve tried auto doc, tried vanstyle , googled and found other suppliers, but when I look up my reg plate or the van model none are in stock,

Thanks for any pointers, it’s getting frustrating with only having loud 4.

What about TPS or local VW place?

I think all T6 ones are the same.... Not sure if T6.1 are also same number

I think it’s the same as the T5 one too.
I actually have a spare one, and I am selling our T6 soon, so if you get desperate …..

Pete

thanks
I think it’s the same as the T5 one too.
I actually have a spare one, and I am selling our T6 soon, so if you get desperate …..

Pete
umm not sure, so the Vanstyle one said for T5 only, i contacted them this morning and they said no T6 as well, then after i placed order they got back to me apologising but they made a mistake. let me see, maybe i should remove it an check the product code (assuming still legible) but it's such a tight space, only fancy doing it the once. Are you sure your spare fits the T6?

What about TPS or local VW place?

I think all T6 ones are the same.... Not sure if T6.1 are also same number
hi not according to Vansyle this morning, they first said it was the same, (they only have one marked for T5, up to 2015, so i checked first. then after i order they got back to me apologising and said it wasn't right. thanks

thanks

umm not sure, so the Vanstyle one said for T5 only, i contacted them this morning and they said no T6 as well, then after i placed order they got back to me apologising but they made a mistake. let me see, maybe i should remove it an check the product code (assuming still legible) but it's such a tight space, only fancy doing it the once. Are you sure your spare fits the T6?

I will check, but it won’t be until Friday when I get the van from the storage yard.

Pete

Hi anyone know where I can get a replacement resistor? I’ve tried auto doc, tried vanstyle , googled and found other suppliers, but when I look up my reg plate or the van model none are in stock,

Thanks for any pointers, it’s getting frustrating with only having loud 4.

What part number do you think you need ?

Pete

I will check, but it won’t be until Friday when I get the van from the storage yard.

Pete
thanks, friday fine. not sure re part number, i've been using links and websites where i can either search by the part or use my Registration number it checks for me, and just says no stock for the van, it's 2019 T6 Kombi. i found great video on youTube, guy explained it so well , but any of links take me to websites where i get the same response . May have to be a dealer trip and be charged the earth !thanks again

Back