Heater outlet position, floor, drivers seat or b pillar?

Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Trying to come decide on the best place for the night heater outlet.

1. Under the seat and out through the seat base back.
2. Straight up through the floor behind the seat/in front of the units.
3. OEM b pillar outlet.

Would be particularly interested to see pics of the ones vertically up through the floor, as well as your thoughts plusses / minuses of each.

Even more so if you have a higher floor due to California/Caravelle rails etc.

Mine comes up under the seat base and out through the seat base back.
The negatives I’ve found are;
It makes it slightly more of a challenge to fit equipment under the seat in and around the ducting.
The factory GND stud under the seat stud was removed as it was right in the way of the ducting entering from under the vehicle.

Mine comes up under the seat base and out through the seat base back.
The negatives I’ve found are;
It makes it slightly more of a challenge to fit equipment under the seat in and around the ducting.
The factory GND stud under the seat stud was removed as it was right in the way of the ducting entering from under the vehicle.
Thanks. The reason why I am considering other options is I have a sub under the drivers seat.
A bit surprised there are not more opinions on this.

I brought mine up at the back of the seat base adjacent to the B pillar as it suits my layout and was an easy option.
View attachment 218376
Thanks, your floor looks reasonably level with the rubber mat. Mine is quite a bit higher, with the added complication of that metal strip. Wonder if this would work.
Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 10.57.10.png

I went under the seat for the outlet but the intake in the OEM position.

I didn't like the idea of taking strength out of the B pillar without beveling the edge like the OEM hole does to put rigidity back in.

Mat

I've fitted mine to the B Pillar standard factory parts, however, If you're thinking of fitting a typical camper furniture setup with the fridge behind the drivers seat it may cause issues as the majority of the heat will get blown onto the cabinet side that the fridge it fitted to! Just my 2 cents :)

with the floor opening fitting (post 4) isn't there a risk dust and other bits fall into the pipework?

Reactions: CAB
with the floor opening fitting (post 4) isn't there a risk dust and other bits fall into the pipework?
It’s been there for 3 years and I’ve not dropped anything down it so far and I run it monthly so dust does not have much chance to settle :)

Trying to come decide on the best place for the night heater outlet.

1. Under the seat and out through the seat base back.
2. Straight up through the floor behind the seat/in front of the units.
3. OEM b pillar outlet.

Would be particularly interested to see pics of the ones vertically up through the floor, as well as your thoughts plusses / minuses of each.

Even more so if you have a higher floor due to California/Caravelle rails etc.
Here’s one we’ve done with the outlet in the floor. It’s positioned between the front seats. It just happens to be in a ply floor too. The floor isn’t raised like yours, but as the outlet is entirely in the ply, rather than straddling the ply/cab rubber, it could work for you.

IMG_4024.jpegIMG_4025.jpeg

Ours is in the side of the drivers seat base, in front of the handbrake. Something we'd never even thought of and it's how the converters fit it. It means the space behind the drivers seat / the end of the furniture is available for the windscreen cover and the simple flysheet awning we use.

Reactions: CAB
I went under the seat for the outlet but the intake in the OEM position.

I didn't like the idea of taking strength out of the B pillar without beveling the edge like the OEM hole does to put rigidity back in.

Mat
Thanks, I don’t think that bevelled edge adds strength, more to help locate the plastics.
But I could be wrong.

Ours is in the side of the drivers seat base, in front of the handbrake. Something we'd never even thought of and it's how the converters fit it. It means the space behind the drivers seat / the end of the furniture is available for the windscreen cover and the simple flysheet awning we use.
Thanks. That was suggested to me earlier today. I hadn’t really thought of that although now you mention it I did see one before somewhere. I’m starting to think it’s the best option. But I would have to put sub under passenger’s seat.

Have you got any pics please? Has the handbrake plastics or passenger seat been affected by the heat?

Thanks all for all the replies.

Back