Healthy 180 CFCA owners?

Oh no, what do I need to worry about? I've got a 180bitdi 2016 euro 5 on 90k. What should I be looking out for/ doing ?

Oh no, what do I need to worry about? I've got a 180bitdi 2016 euro 5 on 90k. What should I be looking out for/ doing ?
compression test, oil analysis to find out if you have issues coming, and make sure the dpf is working and is not blocked, after you have checked the dpf, is it burning oil?

If you get past all this get the egr blocked and mapped out

Thanks I'll look into sorting this
Are you using oil? If not excessively or at all then don’t panic.
Oil analysis is a good first stop. Go to Millers Oils and buy their kit, extract some oil and send off. This will tell you if aluminium is present in the oil and what level and that will help for next actions.
After that, as discussed here, a Tafmet kit may be helpful in ensuring when the cooler starts to corrode, then none of that aluminium oxide will enter the engine. Or replacing the cooler.

Are you using oil? If not excessively or at all then don’t panic.
Oil analysis is a good first stop. Go to Millers Oils and buy their kit, extract some oil and send off. This will tell you if aluminium is present in the oil and what level and that will help for next actions.
After that, as discussed here, a Tafmet kit may be helpful in ensuring when the cooler starts to corrode, then none of that aluminium oxide will enter the engine. Or replacing the cooler.
you have to make sure the dpf is functioning correctly before you worry about the oil consumption. Known issue (and my van was doing this) is dpf is blocked and the unspent fuel was topping up the oil = no oil consumption on the dip-stick, reality is the oil is being diluted by fuel and causing more wear. New dpf fitted and then you can see the oil consumption instantly.

Oil also smells funny. If you are in the South Retro Resus are amazing. If the dpf is blocked you also have the risk of more engine damage as it heats the dpf up to mad temperatures and it just sits there (850 degrees c)

Get the oil analysis done first (£50), if the results are poor you are looking at major expense and you’ll need to make some decisions on how much it’s worth.
There is no point in making big purchases if you decide not to follow through with them all.

It would bean interesting add-on to this thread if folks could give us the revision letter (end of part number) of their EGR and any history of it being changed etc. I don't have a CFCA engined vehicle any more but have a good friend who has just had the usual catastrophe with one.

The one that I once owned had the early electrical fault on the EGR valve and it was changed to a C variant (latest available at the time) under warranty and as far as I know it's still going OK.

It would bean interesting add-on to this thread if folks could give us the revision letter (end of part number) of their EGR and any history of it being changed etc. I don't have a CFCA engined vehicle any more but have a good friend who has just had the usual catastrophe with one.

The one that I once owned had the early electrical fault on the EGR valve and it was changed to a C variant (latest available at the time) under warranty and as far as I know it's still going OK.
Rev C and D coolers have been known to fail. They are like having a WWII hand grenade with a rusty pin under your bonnet. It’ll go off, just don’t know when.

Rev C and D coolers have been known to fail. They are like having a WWII hand grenade with a rusty pin under your bonnet. It’ll go off, just don’t know when.
That is what I assumed.
I like your analogy to a rusting pin, I've often wondered if there is a correlation between the oil make/type even if it's always within the VW specification that causes the aluminium degradation not as though anyone will ever admit it!

Engine exhaust contains sulphur dioxide even with low sulphur fuel. Sulphur dioxide creates sulphuric acid which reacts with aluminuim.
The design was a disaster waiting to happen from day 1.

Just had the latest analysis report back, very low contamination and viscosity very good, no recorded fuel dilution.
18 ppm Fe, 11ppm Al and 0.2% soot after 4772 miles on the oil.

I wouldn’t mess about with mapping and Darksides DPF removal. The Tafmet solution is less than an hours work and the cost of a tank of Diesel.

I have for sale the Darkside Developments blanking plates. They can also map out.
Yeh but they also suggest taking off dpf and cleaning then welding back up… sounds ropey to me. Can’t afford to be failing mots messing with dpf. They say they do several of these a week.

Yeh but they also suggest taking off dpf and cleaning then welding back up… sounds ropey to me. Can’t afford to be failing mots messing with dpf. They say they do several of these a week.
Plenty with EGR coolers blanked off and DPF left in place doing its thing. I can see mine continuing to work fine via Carista.

Back