Heads up - Port of Dover delays

One of the reasons that I gave up ferries in favour of the tunnel years ago (even before Brexit mad it worse still). That said, I heard on the radio this morning that the tunnel is not without it's problems today either.

Interesting isn’t it. I now avoid the tunnel after a 5 hr delay out of season, and also discovering that people can just turn up to go in it. Plus the proximity to Dover.

I now prefer ferries from Portsmouth etc, as the ferry companies know how many vehicles are going to turn up.

Back to the subject, we went to France a few weeks ago (on the ferry), and had not realised that France (and no doubt other countries) inspect your passport far more closely, and stamp it. This is bound to add extra time to the process.

#no politics

Pete

Don't know how true it is, but I read that Dover authorities were blaming delays on a lack of staffing on the French side. As @Pete C says, passport stamping and more scrutiny will not help with throughput.

I'm coming back to UK on Sunday via the tunnel, so hope it's not as bad in the reverse direction.
Reminds me of December 20 when Macron closed the border at short notice and everyone scrambled to get across before the door shut. Waited 4 hours for a ferry crossing that day at Dover.

We are coming back on the tunnel tomorrow, so hopefully we'll be OK that way.

Ayjay stops himself from mentioning the 'B word' thus starting another row on T6F!
The only 'B word' with this is the French Buggering about, deliberately under-staffing their ports. This then allows some to conveniently blame the 'B word' that shall not be mentioned!

The only 'B word' with this is the French Buggering about, deliberately under-staffing their ports. This then allows some to conveniently blame the 'B word' that shall not be mentioned!
That’s only what the media want us to believe to avoid us blaming it on Brexit…

My mate just said he sailed through the French customs and said the queues are continuing beyond that.

I’m off to the Eurotunnel now, fingers crossed it’s not too bad!

That’s only what the media want us to believe to avoid us blaming it on Brexit…

My mate just said he sailed through the French customs and said the queues are continuing beyond that.

I’m off to the Eurotunnel now, fingers crossed it’s not too bad!
FWIW, the report quoted Port of Dover Authorities, though, frankly the truth is irrelevant - the "debate" (haha) is so polarised that both sides will only believe their own side's BS.

Eurotunnel unaffected apparently, but good luck anyway.

Last I heard, on R2 30 mins ago was the tunnel has up to 4 hours of delays.

We travelled to Europe via the Newcastle ferry because I didn't want the long drive to France through England and the tunnel/Dover ferries. In the end, due to costs and no return ferries from Ijmuden to Newcastle the week we returned (Tuesday) and the prices, we returned via is Dieppe to Newhaven.

We didn't use the Hull P&O ferry company out of principle.

Last I heard, on R2 30 mins ago was the tunnel has up to 4 hours of delays.

We travelled to Europe via the Newcastle ferry because I didn't want the long drive to France through England and the tunnel/Dover ferries. In the end, due to costs and no return ferries from Ijmuden to Newcastle the week we returned (Tuesday) and the prices, we returned via is Dieppe to Newhaven.

We didn't use the Hull P&O ferry company out of principle.
Re P&O - you do right to stick to your principles. Too many have short memories and will use them if they're the cheapest/most convenient.

Interesting isn’t it. I now avoid the tunnel after a 5 hr delay out of season, and also discovering that people can just turn up to go in it. Plus the proximity to Dover.

I now prefer ferries from Portsmouth etc, as the ferry companies know how many vehicles are going to turn up.

Back to the subject, we went to France a few weeks ago (on the ferry), and had not realised that France (and no doubt other countries) inspect your passport far more closely, and stamp it. This is bound to add extra time to the process.

#no politics

Pete
I’m the same as you Pete, I’ve had a really bad experience coming back through the tunnel for the last 2-3 years, we normally cross twice per year. The queues have been so bad that it is normal to miss your allotted train despite turning up 2 hours before departure. so this time we’ve booked to go by ferry.

Last edited:
@Bav. I've got no particular axe to grind on either side of the B debate as I came to terms with it a long time ago but you have to acknowledge that it's not really the 'French buggering around' as you so eloquently put it - rather it's more that we have all now got to accept that a UK passport holder is no longer any different to an Egyptian, Nicaraguan, New Zealand or Pakistani passport holder so far as French border controls are concerned. As such, we will all have to get used to these delays during peak travel periods - that is a direct consequence of Brexit no ifs buts or maybes and a price we pay for our freedom.

The problems today were definitely caused by a problem in France and its nothing to do with the UK.

Back