Dfds Ferry From Dover To Dunkirk - Vehicle Type?

MikeMc88

2018 Highline
T6 Pro
I am looking at prices for the ferry from Dover to Dunkirk and not sure what to class my van as.

I am not sure whether to book it as a Car (Under 2.2m x 6m) or Private Van (>4m x 6m)
It is a t6 highline panel van with a rear window.

The price difference is £140 for car and £240 for van.

Have any of you booked this crossing before? if so what did you put down for vehicle type?

I have booked both over the years, panel van was more. Now I have a Caravelle and that is classed as a high car as it has glass all round

@Eli1264 I have just been reading through a few posts regarding this and some people have put them down as car under 2.2m and had no problems. I have read 1 post where they were stopped and had to pay the extra cost plus they had to wait 4 hours for the next ferry.

mate of mine has a T5 and always says book as a car as some of the 4x4's are as long or even longer and they book as cars too!

Taken 2 different defenders on P and O, Smyrl Line and last year Brittany Ferries, one was a 110 panel van and other a 110 utility both booked as cars of the correct length and no issues, just made sure we were within the height restriction. T6 is booked on P and O and Colorline this year and just done the same.

I just booked with DFDS from Newhaven to Dieppe. I enquired which vehicle type to book, here’s the DFDS response after I told them I had a VW Transporter:

“If your vehicle is closed at the back with only 3 seats in the front it has to be booked as a Private Van (the smallest category which is up to 4 x 6m)
If it has seats and windows at the back (like a people carrier) then it must be booked as a car (up to 2.2 x 6m according to your measurements)”

I just booked with DFDS from Newhaven to Dieppe. I enquired which vehicle type to book, here’s the DFDS response after I told them I had a VW Transporter:

“If your vehicle is closed at the back with only 3 seats in the front it has to be booked as a Private Van (the smallest category which is up to 4 x 6m)
If it has seats and windows at the back (like a people carrier) then it must be booked as a car (up to 2.2 x 6m according to your measurements)”

I also booked a crossing with Brittany Ferries and that is a ‘Van’, so no standard across the different companies.

Back