Headlights upgrade choice(again!)

pabloz

Morning,

I know this has been done to death but I can`t quite find the exact answers when searching ......

Had another terrible journey driving at night with the H4s in the rain for 7 hours and had achey eyes from trying to keep them wide open!
I live in a wild area with deer and boar running around on twisty roads so need something better on dipped beam!

questions are:
Is the dipped beam in the H7 caravelle style twin reflector unit enough to make driving safe? (not sure I want to go down the route of the Transporter HQ lights as a bit blingy and heard mixed reviews of the dip beam and expensive!)

Has anyone used non oem twin H7 lights such as these....

Another option seems to be these from Diederichs- are these H7 projectors like THQ s??(not keen on the look but just want something safe!!)

Thanks for any input!!!

H7s are far better than H4s on dipped as the separate reflectors are designed to do one job each. They are the cheapest option too.

The advantage of the THQ lights is that you can go better still because you can can fit LED or HID bulbs in the dipped beam projectors. Some do, but you really shouldn't fit anything other than halogen bulbs into H7 headlights.

THQ headlights setup properly with LED bulbs and alignment done, once tweaked are better than the H7 in our experience

Lots of detail in the following thread - H4 to H7 Upgrade

H7s are a lot better than H4 on dipped and main beam for the reasons mentioned by Dubber36. In my opinion they are perfectly acceptable and that’s in comparison to the all singing and dancing twin LED on my Passat. They are also much, much cheaper than THQ if you get a secondhand set (<£100 vs >£600). THQ (and other projector lights) need LED bulbs otherwise they will be worse than your H4s!

No idea about the linked lights. Just make sure they are for RHD (assuming that’s what you need).

Another vote for THQ lights from me, worth paying (for me) a local professional Mr @Dav-Tec (in my case) to fit them, huge difference over the stock candles, especially during these murky nights. On road 'presence' is massively betterer too, saferer and betterer in every wayerer.

Thanks for the feedback and help so far everyone
Ginkster- my lights are LHD as I spend much of the year in France and don`t seem to blind anyone in the uk when I lower the lenses (probably because they are so bad!)

Looks like the H7s will do for me as would prefer a stock look and not to spend too much more than I have so far!! Also LHD THQs are not in stock.....

Might just risk buying the aftermarket caravelle copies and hope they work ok...............

Thanks for the feedback and help so far everyone
Ginkster- my lights are LHD as I spend much of the year in France and don`t seem to blind anyone in the uk when I lower the lenses (probably because they are so bad!)

Looks like the H7s will do for me as would prefer a stock look and not to spend too much more than I have so far!! Also LHD THQs are not in stock.....

Might just risk buying the aftermarket caravelle copies and hope they work ok...............
If you retrofit Caravelle (or Shuttle) H7 headlights, you should also get the lighting coded so that the dipped lamp remains illuminated when main beam is selected. This can be done with Carista, OBDeleven, or VCDS

Just to update,
Bought Depo H7 light units (one arrived broken:rolleyes:) and fitted with osram 200 percent bulbs, bought Carista and with Beta version coded so main and dip stay on. Sooo much better and nice to be not scared to drive at night. :cool:

I've done a forum search for Vanstyle lights but can't find anything useful.... Has anyone fitted these and got any feedback on them?

Back