Advice on Head units / Rev. camera setup

Selyah

Hi everyone - just about to come back to a van again, looking to buy either a 2016 Transporter or Caravelle this week (need 7 seats), the transporter has been made into a Caravelle type van with all the bells and whistles.
However the Caravelle is the Exec version with 204bhp and 4motion. Would prefer the Caravelle, but my main worry on top of the purchase price, is it has the base head unit and no reversing camera or sat nav. I am waiting on confirmation, but I dont even think it streams bluetooth music, just calls. I could get a wireless camera system for not too much money with a sepearate screen or rearview mirror, but if the head unit doesnt stream music am I in for a new Head unit that can take a rev. camera, will display the senors info and streams music from my phone?
I guess I can use waze / google on my phone as a nav system, but its not the best option - Looking online incl fitting it would be best part of a grand to get this swapped over to what I need. Would love some advice, I also have a Scirocco R so I am very used to DiscoveryMedia systems and coding required to get extras working, again another reason to look at aftermarket?.

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 10.39.35.png

I got a Kenwood 7190 with inbuilt garmin satnav and a kenwood reversing camera from Absolut5 - on this forum - check them out Absolut5 Website

I also upgraded to Focal IS200 and under seat sub to compliment the setup. Cost around £1400 all in but I think the head unit, camera, facia plate came to less around £900 ish ??

It will stream music, I have that unit and stream a Spotify playlist when DAB reception is dodgy.

No idea on the reverse camera though.

If it is the Composition Colour (I'm fairly sure it is) then I'm certain it can be made to work with a reversing camera. There are several threads regarding this although depending on the exact model it can be an expensive way to do it. Have a look through this thread for some additional information.

Looks the same as my Composition Colour which streams music via bluetooth but doesn't take a reversing camera. For the sort of money you will be spending, I'm not sure that the stereo should really be the deciding factor.

That’s the same head unit I’ve got, you would need to buy an interface at about £400 to make it take a reverse camera input. I put a separate 5” monitor on the dash which was a cheap solution while I work out if I want to replace the head unit. Most people upgrade the head unit, which will work out to around £700/£800 depending on what you go for.

FA2B4D8A-D520-43EB-9A82-B4E8F93B1145.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi everyone - just about to come back to a van again, looking to buy either a 2016 Transporter or Caravelle this week (need 7 seats), the transporter has been made into a Caravelle type van with all the bells and whistles.
However the Caravelle is the Exec version with 204bhp and 4motion. Would prefer the Caravelle, but my main worry on top of the purchase price, is it has the base head unit and no reversing camera or sat nav. I am waiting on confirmation, but I dont even think it streams bluetooth music, just calls. I could get a wireless camera system for not too much money with a sepearate screen or rearview mirror, but if the head unit doesnt stream music am I in for a new Head unit that can take a rev. camera, will display the senors info and streams music from my phone?
I guess I can use waze / google on my phone as a nav system, but its not the best option - Looking online incl fitting it would be best part of a grand to get this swapped over to what I need. Would love some advice, I also have a Scirocco R so I am very used to DiscoveryMedia systems and coding required to get extras working, again another reason to look at aftermarket?.

View attachment 111642

Hi

it will stream music , but the usb will not play music from the phone, only a stick

i suggest dropping in a Kenwood dmx8020dabs, it will display the reverse sensors. Climate display, Wireless Apple CarPlay/Wireless android auto, so you can use apps like google maps and Waze directly from your phone, twin usb, dab, capactive screen, dash cam control and reverse cam input .

if you like more info drop Us a pm or call 01980 624740

It will stream music, I have that unit and stream a Spotify playlist when DAB reception is dodgy.

No idea on the reverse camera though.
thanks, they confirmed to today it can stream music via bluetooth, but as it lack sat nav and no camera, I think only an aftermarket HU will work for me

Reactions: CAB
Hi

it will stream music , but the usb will not play music from the phone, only a stick

i suggest dropping in a Kenwood dmx8020dabs, it will display the reverse sensors. Climate display, Wireless Apple CarPlay/Wireless android auto, so you can use apps like google maps and Waze directly from your phone, twin usb, dab, capactive screen, dash cam control and reverse cam input .

if you like more info drop Us a pm or call 01980 624740
thanks will give you a call, I think I will go with the caravelle and change the HU, how long is the camera cable, I am guessing it will stretch the length of the van?

Looks the same as my Composition Colour which streams music via bluetooth but doesn't take a reversing camera. For the sort of money you will be spending, I'm not sure that the stereo should really be the deciding factor.
I hear what you are saying, the transporter is 2 grand less than the caravelle, but the £35K for the carvelle is at my limit, adding another £8-900 for a HU is pushing it past my comfort zone, but its the best option I think.

Yeah that head unit can stream media via bluetooth.
Do you have a rearview mirror and glass in rear door(s)? if not I highly recommend the autovox v5 available on Amazon for a digital rearview. Works a treat.

thanks will give you a call, I think I will go with the caravelle and change the HU, how long is the camera cable, I am guessing it will stretch the length of the van?
A pioneer or Kenwood reverse camera has more than enough cable to reach the length of the vehicle

I hear what you are saying, the transporter is 2 grand less than the caravelle, but the £35K for the carvelle is at my limit, adding another £8-900 for a HU is pushing it past my comfort zone, but its the best option I think.
I would go with the caravelle for a few reasons aside from head unit. I have a van with the caravelle seating in, which is really good. BUT the better ventilation in the back from the air con system in the Exec will keep rear passengers happy, and I must say I find insurance a pain with the added seats and all the other mods, whereas insuring a caravelle would be so much easier.

Yeah that head unit can stream media via bluetooth.
Do you have a rearview mirror and glass in rear door(s)? if not I highly recommend the autovox v5 available on Amazon for a digital rearview. Works a treat.

Thanks, it does have rear windows, but they are heavily tinted as so far back, like my old van I relied on wingmirrors more than the rearview. Looks like a good short term idea if I decide to hang off on the HU upgrade, thanks.

@Geordman. I'm at the research (ie. dithering) stage for a reversing camera as well so am following this with interest. Do you have tinted rear windows? Like Selyah, mine are quite dark with the 'standard camper van tint' and I wonder how well the rear view on that Autovox would work through it. Also it it just a rear view camera or does it have parking lines as well? Cheers.

@Geordman. I'm at the research (ie. dithering) stage for a reversing camera as well so am following this with interest. Do you have tinted rear windows? Like Selyah, mine are quite dark with the 'standard camper van tint' and I wonder how well the rear view on that Autovox would work through it. Also it it just a rear view camera or does it have parking lines as well? Cheers.
I have no rear windows. The camera is mounted above the license plate on the back. You can wire a reverse mode in using a reversing light signal this puts lines on the screen however i don’t use this, I leave it on rear view mode permanently without the lines, the lines can be adjusted but I find they aren’t much use.

I have no rear windows. The camera is mounted above the license plate on the back. You can wire a reverse mode in using a reversing light signal this puts lines on the screen however i don’t use this, I leave it on rear view mode permanently without the lines, the lines can be adjusted but I find they aren’t much use.
Now that is a good idea, permanently on, I like that!

Back