Head Unit Owner Opinions wanted - Sony XAV-AX100 or JVC offerings?

adibell

I'm looking at head units. I want Carplay, but can't really justify spending £500+ on the head unit, so I'm looking at cheaper alternatives to the Kenwood 8019 that every-man-and-his-dog on this forum seems to have!

I'd been considering the Pioneer sph da130dab, but went to Halfords the other day, and it really stood out that the display on the Pioneer units all feel 'soft' - like it's got a cheap film over the front - right through to the more expensive units. It was also fairly laggy, which isn't ideal.

However, I also saw the Sony XAV-AX100. There's another unit which is cheaper, but the USB port is on the front - rubbish! It had a resistive screen, but actually it felt and reacted much better than the Pioneer. I like the chunky volume dial, and I think it looks the smartest UI of all the head units - most others look flashy with loads of icons and jagged lines. The Sony looks refined - simple - elegant in comparison. I have heard that the start-up time is fairly long. Other than that, does anyone have this particular unit and have any thoughts?

Alternatively, there's two units from JVC - the KW-M745DBT and the newer KW-M560BT - does anyone have either of these units and able to shed any thoughts? I saw a youtube of the 745, and it looked fairly sluggish.

Both that particular Sony and the JVC units seem to be more reasonably priced, but there's a whole lot less info on them than the Kenwoods. Would be very appreciative of opinions on those ones.

Thanks

Does anyone have the Sony XAV AX100?

I’d like to know if it works with the MFD, and if anyone has any particular insights?

Does anyone have the Sony XAV AX100?

I’d like to know if it works with the MFD, and if anyone has any particular insights?

the new pioneer SPH da250dab is a good unit and fast compared to their older brothers, capacitive screen,

the JVC 745 is not a bad unit but already discontinued , we have 1 left

However it’s all the parts that push the cost up for best integration, Especially if you have factory parking sensors and audio controls on the steering

Ok thanks, is the JVC unit considerably laggier? It looked fairly slow to respond to touch etc in a Youtube video I watched. I'm potentially interested - how much are you selling the JVC unit for please?

Sold it today .however it is not slow compared to most others,

Do you have factory parking sensors?

ah, that's a shame. Do you know if the JVC works with the MFD at all? My other cosideration is the Sony AX1005 (as I realised the AX100 doesn't have DAB). My only gripe is that I can't stand that the USB comes out of the front but not the rear, hence still considering the JVC. Found the Pioneer screens look quite stlylish and are fairly reasonably priced, but feel 'cheap' to the touch and the Kenwoods are much pricier and a bit ugly with the big chin IMO

I do have the sensors on the rear, but considering a simple reversing camera so I wouldn;t be too bothered if the unit doesnt display the sensor graphic but still makes the beeps

You will only get basic info at best on the mfd and thats down to the interface,

i would go for the SPH DA250DAB, if you don’t like the Kenwood chin, however the chin is for the bigger 7” screen over a 6.5-6.8” plus you don’t have to reach so far to use the controls

Hi Adibell,
Just wondering what you went with in the end? I have rear parking sensors that I want to maintain funtion of but also I like the idea of a volume know as well. Thanks!

Back