Has anyone figured out how to use Android Auto AND listen to audio from their phone?

My Touareg was the other way around, full integration only worked on Android, not Apple. Even though it was a well known issue it never got resolved, annoyingly the Audi head unit which was similar got the update.

VW are pretty crap at smart phone integration, I can’t believe I wasted over £1000 on the Disco nav unit, without doubt the biggest waste of money ever.

I think all cars are pretty crap at technology generally. Tesla seem to have capitalised on that.

I bought a £80k Range Rover and the navigation was shocking. I spent the whole time driving with my phone shoved in a cup holder instead.

I've had a reply from VW.

"Having checked on the compatibility list the unit is currently compatible with V7 software.
The technical department say there is not an update available as yet and no time-scale as to when this will happen."

By version 7, I'm assuming he means Android 7 which is 4 years old and no longer supported by Google.

They've also put USB-C connectors in the van knowing it doesn't work with any phone that natively supports USB-C. The iPhone uses Lightning and any Android phone running version 7 or lower would use mini- or micro-USB. So everyone would need to buy a different cable or use an adaptor.

This is disgusting. They've released a brand new van which is advertised as working with Android Auto, but only for people who have 4-year-old operating systems.

Last edited:
Seems strange, it'll be the same unit as in all the other VWs so I just can't imagine that?

You must have a faulty USB port or something?

Seems strange, it'll be the same unit as in all the other VWs so I just can't imagine that?

You must have a faulty USB port or something?

This is what surprises me - why just the T6.1 when the unit must go into other vehicles? I wonder if the unit has slightly different software when it's in a 6.1 (not sure why it would) and that software has this bug.

Everything else works, so it's not a USB fault. If there was a fault, Android Auto just wouldn't work at all.

Seeing my local dealer on Friday. If they admit the fault and admit there's no fix, I might see if they'll install the upgraded wireless system (assuming that's possible).

Last edited:
You're not. I bought a 128 Gb SD card and copied all my music onto that to get round it. I update it every month or so, depending upon how many times I've purchased, which can be a pain in the arse but it works.
I've got a T6.1 with the standard touchscreen infotainment system.

View attachment 67911

When I plug in my phone to use Android Auto (AA), the van won't then allow me to listen to music from my phone. I can select "Radio" and listen to the radio, but if I select "BT Audio" the unit tells me my phone is already connected via Android Auto. But I can't select "USB" as a media option as it's greyed out. So I can't figure out how I can listen to the audio being output by my phone/AA.

View attachment 67909
View attachment 67908

Within AA, I can choose to listen to music via Google Music (of which I am a subscriber). I can select a track and see that it's playing, but can't find any way of actually getting the music to come out of the van's speakers - there's no input option to select. If I turn the volume knob, the volume bar appears and will move down, but not up.

View attachment 67910

Anyone with a T6.1 have this same issue? Any solutions?!

I have this same issue with a brand new van, did you find a solution?

I have this same issue,

I can listen to music via Bluetooth, I can link to USB via AA, I can hear Google assist, hear Google maps, play radio, I can see spotify and Google music playing but with no sound and no control over volume,

I've tried all settings, different cables and different phones.

I have tried all the advisory measures, the only thing I found in another forum was changing the USB port and updating software but not even sure its the same issue.

Did anyone here find a solution to this,

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

I have the same problem, still can't get my 3 week old one to play audio from Spotify and other apps apart from maps.

Messaged VW and they asked the dealer to contact me that was nearly 3 weeks ago and I still haven't been called .

Maybe we should all get together and do something about this as its a complete joke.

I have the same problem, still can't get my 3 week old one to play audio from Spotify and other apps apart from maps.

Messaged VW and they asked the dealer to contact me that was nearly 3 weeks ago and I still haven't been called .

Maybe we should all get together and do something about this as its a complete joke.

They clearly know there is an issue, the comments for VW android auto are disabled on YouTube due to all the complaints they had.

70 plate van, I either get lost with music or navigate in silence, so frustrating for a 25k vehicle

Solved guys, It is not a permanent fix but if you put a USB stick with music on into one of the two USB C ports, you will need a USB C to USB jack, play music direct from your USB, then open google maps and ask google to play music, it then switches to spotify and it works.

FOr the last 3 days, it has worked and fixed the bug,

Solved guys, It is not a permanent fix but if you put a USB stick with music on into one of the two USB C ports, you will need a USB C to USB jack, play music direct from your USB, then open google maps and ask google to play music, it then switches to spotify and it works.

FOr the last 3 days, it has worked and fixed the bug,
Apparently, you can use an SD card in the same manner to do the same, although I've not tried it out.

Apparently, you can use an SD card in the same manner to do the same, although I've not tried it out.
Yes thats correct, I didn't have an SD so just put a USB stick onto my Samsung USB c to USB 3 jack, works the same,

Odd thing is I only had to trick the stereo once, now it automatically plays spotify as long as the USB stick is plugged in,

When I get in the vehicle it plays the USB stick for 5 seconds then auto flips to spotify

It's worth mentioning (I think I said it in another thread) but I picked up my T6.1 at the weekend and Android Auto works fine... I can play music and adjust volume up and down etc.

Might be a good idea to check in with your dealers again and see if there's now a software update available.

Hopefully going back to my dealer on Saturday to show them the problem. Spoke with VW on the phone and the guy said he hasn't heard of anyone with this problem and they've had no complaints lol yeah right. I told him to look on Google then as there must be loads of us

Well apparently they've changed their mind and I can't just rock up on Saturday and show someone the app connect not working. I've now had to book it in for 2 weeks time (earliest available) and they will keep it 2 days just to look at it.

Back