H4 to H7 Headlights?

@Alan Walsh Have you fitted these yet? Any photos and most importantly how do they perform in the dark?

**Edit, Just spotted you may still be away from your previous post, sorry for my impatience!**

@Alan Walsh Have you fitted these yet? Any photos and most importantly how do they perform in the dark?

**Edit, Just spotted you may still be away from your previous post, sorry for my impatience!**
I now have them in my shed and they look fantastic in the flesh, I am hoping to fit them this Saturday, weather and time permitting. I shall post pictures/video of everything working asap.

More pictures for you! Apparently all tested and working on every age and model :). There are two colours, black and silver. The lights on the right are black or silver left.

View attachment 12560 View attachment 12562 View attachment 12561 View attachment 12564

View attachment 12563
Sorry to be the party pooper but I am not a fan! Look cheap compared to real thing. Each to their own though, but genuine VW for me. Now everyone will have these so going to keep my std ones to look different lol!

I have started to fit them, I just have to wire in the rgb demon eyes into the side light cct, the question I have before I fire up the laptop is can the indicator and high beam fault monitoring be turned off to save fitting a resistor?. BTW they look fantastic, the sweeping indicators are awesome fun my opinion and the headlights are so bright I could see them on the next door neighbours bush, (the outdoor green type!) in daylight:thumbsup:

Is there a code that need changing from H4 to h7 headlights? if so does anyone happen to know the code?

I think it should know its a separate lamp for high beam and need coding accordingly, but I stand to be corrected. I know its the same plug but should be internally different.

AFAIK the only difference is in operation, H7 setup will leave dip light on when main is on but H4 does not
I did have a brief play at busfest with VCDS on a van swapped to H7s but it didn't work and didn't have time to go any further

@Alan Walsh When I spoke to EM Tuning I thought that they were going to make up a harness to overcome this issue if using the H7 units rather than the H4, have you spoken to them?

I guess it's to do with a dual bulb (H7) set-up rather than a dual filament bulb (H4), ie the power is cut to the low beam when high beam is engaged in the H4 but the H7 would need both the low and high beam to be live, ie a revised harness would somehow allow for the high beam feed to be split to power both H7 bulbs? (of course I may be completely wrong!)

PS, Do you have any pictures of the light output in the dark?...

Both wires/bulbs are fed independently from the BCM and are wired into the same terminals regardless if it left the factory with H4 or H7 so coding should sort it we just need to figure it out ?

@Alan Walsh When I spoke to EM Tuning I thought that they were going to make up a harness to overcome this issue if using the H7 units rather than the H4, have you spoken to them?

I guess it's to do with a dual bulb (H7) set-up rather than a dual filament bulb (H4), ie the power is cut to the low beam when high beam is engaged in the H4 but the H7 would need both the low and high beam to be live, ie a revised harness would somehow allow for the high beam feed to be split to power both H7 bulbs? (of course I may be completely wrong!)

PS, Do you have any pictures of the light output in the dark?...
I will do pictures once I have had the headlights aligned properly ( not for another couple of weeks due to work!) but the difference is literally night and day. I am having a couple of issues but it is to be expected with what I have asked for and being a new build for a new vehicle. EMTuning i.e. Trups have been fantastic through the whole process and complete support, the only reason I am having issues is I was unable to get to him to let him fit them, should you have the time and be able to get to Trups for him to fit them then I am 100% sure you would leave completely enlightened.

Both wires/bulbs are fed independently from the BCM and are wired into the same terminals regardless if it left the factory with H4 or H7 so coding should sort it we just need to figure it out ?
I am sure between all the clever people on here (myself excluded! ) an answer will avail itself.:thumbsup:

@Alan Walsh did you get any further with your headlight conversion?
They are in and mostly working. I am going to EMtuning on Wednesday to sort the last couple of bugs out. I can however confirm the difference is quite literally night and day. They are amazingly bright and would be surprised if the LED's are brighter. They also look amazing (obviously subjective,, but I love them). I will post a couple of pictures up later next week.

@Alan Walsh what do you think this has cost you all in??,
How long did EMtuning take to turn them around??
Also if you hadn't gone with indicators how much would you have saved
sorry for all the questions but interested in doing something similar myself.
cheers

@Alan Walsh what do you think this has cost you all in??,
How long did EMtuning take to turn them around??
Also if you hadn't gone with indicators how much would you have saved
sorry for all the questions but interested in doing something similar myself.
cheers
I had the cost of the H7 headlights (from forum shop sent direct to emtuning) so if you use your original headlights you are already £300/400 to the good. If you fit them yourself you will save again, You can have as little or as much as you want done, if all you want is better headlights and unlike me don't get carried away its defiantly cheaper than the LED route and easily as bright if not brighter. It took a while to make them due to the amount of work/equipment I had. A basic setup would be turned around quite quick I believe. The best thing to do is contact Trups at EMtuning, he is a great bloke and will talk you though whats available for the budget you have in mind, trust me you won't regret it.
Regards Alan.

Back