H4 headlamps with LED bulbs

With the headlights stuffed full of gubbins, does the height adjuster still work? I've heard of some installations not allowing the reflectors to move up or down.
Mine were fine, worth checking though like you say!

Haven't had a problem our selves yet but if i did i could move things around i suppose. Thanks for the heads up.
So happy with the way his lights are now.
My friend didn't expect to pay so much for a vehicle for the headlights to function like a MK1 Golf from the stone age.
Instantly now he wants to do the indicators as well. Which are H11's (expensive again) approx £80 for 20 20's
Im going to post some decent night time photos but the DRL's look really nice in real life063CCA01-46D0-4A18-8103-9A9920688492.jpeg

09E3BC02-BD7D-41B4-9240-2B348A10FB88.jpeg

image.png

"or alternitavely some people with no brain cells just botch a big hole
into the big seal/cover and concede to having wet lights with the condensation because they cant stand the amount of brain
power it takes to come up with a viable solution."

@Todd T6 Great that you've got your lamps in without having to take the route above, what on earth were they thinking?

Hopefully your mate will be happy with the brightness of his Twenty20 H4 lamps but it's worth noting that if he feels he wants the higher light output still that some LED lamps produce eg. Morimoto 2Stroke, GTR 2, S-V.4 etc. or even heaven forbid my humble Novisight Retina Scorchers then he/you won't be able to mount the mahoosive arse mounted fan that comes as part of these lamp types within the headlight shell and hard plastic lamp access cover depth, these bad boys stick out roughly 15mm further than the outside surface of the access cap.

I'm not saying you couldn't mount the Twenty20 H4 lamps within the headlight unit, you have and it looks tidy but I am saying you can't mount an higher output lamp within the headlight shell and cap void, whether you can mount the ballast and Canbus defeat box tidily inside the headlight shell is largely irrelevant if the access cap won't fit over the lamp and cooling fan combo.

Why struggle and try to put in an oversize lamp then? After watching a few of the Headlight Revolution videos on Youtube you start to get the idea that there still might be no substitute for cubes, in this case, more light out though equals more heat to get rid of.

Last edited:
I've made a slightly longer video of the LEDs lighting my merry way, I say slightly but if I'm honest it's a bit longer than I intended, on the plus side you get to see urban and rural views lit up albeit briefly!

Sorry it's in SD and the mirror blocked part of the right side of the view.

Yours look really good as well mate nice to see that your van is good and safe in the country like his now:).
His did fit in and if they didn't i wouldn't have fitted them so if anyone wants to know what fits the ones i used do,
you don't have to tie them down i just thought it would be best and put some sealant over tiny holes i made i like my
stuff to be as standard as possible and did one corder with a tie to test it and one without both seem ok also put a dab
of sealant over the tiny holes made on one.

I think one one hand people care about that sort of stuff and others don't but i wasn't going to have him complain about
his lights being filled with water as i did the the job for someone else in first place and said they would be ok couldn't just
leave all the electrical wires and stuff open.
I've heard stories of people who just start cutting holes in the cover and then the lights get wet if you know what i mean.
Also like you're saying some of them don't even fit under the cover at all haha.
Looking at the brands you've mentioned i don't think they would fit in so they would have been useless to me and getting
a refund out of eBay would be a hassle i reckon.

Anybody who knows about vans and condensation knows how bad it can be having slept in vans with no vapour barriers
and woke up like before thinking i was laying in the shower hahaha!
The 20 20 H4's look just like the ones in the video you've put up there but the p21w DRL's are a Different shape to
the chip style sticks of the h4's and they are so so good work very well together. Love my DRL's also.

Only trouble is the fog lamps are H11's didn't realise that might cost a bit to change wish i had done em at same time
but got naffed off with it all and just ordered what i really neaded at the time o well.. they can be done without taking the
bumper off anyway.
Also yes you probably can do it without taking off the bumper but its a joke trying to unscrew tiny
screws and things with your head and a torch stuck in the engine bay so its comparing apples and banannas
either or i suppose but don't expect them all to fit and the T6 is just one model of vehicle.

All worked out in the end phew got what he wanted ill be ordering the same again for mine at some point.
definitely worth it in the end tho feels allot less spooky in the the night now that he can actually see what he's
doing. If I'm honest his actually look better than most high end cars with similar nice icy white lights so cant complain
quiet jealous myself hahaha...........

I've just put on the slightly better ones with a fan. Don't actually know if they're better than those ones but the ones we just installed
are putting out 6000k of white light and a genuinely decent useable light pattern the main beam is really really good though.
They actually look a tiny tint blue like an icy white.

Well this thread died didn't it............

..... any more feedback on bulbs folks? looking to pick some up this pay day but don't fancy the 400 quid per bulb ones :eek: :rofl:

I went down the route of 50W NOVSIGHT LED's, as described by StayFrosty. I have to say, they are very good, bright and white but with a decent beam pattern which does not dazzle oncoming motorists. I have verified this by being an oncoming motorist while my mate drove my van toward me as I sat in his car. There was less glare than from many other vehicles that passed me. The cost was £63 plus £13 for the ballasts that stopped the flickering, so very reasonable. I'm happy with them. Fitting was a bit time consuming and fiddly, but I copied the method described very well on this thread by StayFrosty (Thank you!) and I now have a van that can be driven safely at night, at a reasonable cost.

F195E18B-BE2C-4156-994A-FE98E784285D.jpeg

Fitted these on Friday, great beam pattern, had to cut out rear of cover & extend it about 10mm to clear fan.
Also had to fit ballast to stop slight flicker.
490852BE-7AD4-4572-B07C-3D6A16C709D4.jpeg

Well worth the effort.
Cheers

Get the 63 quid ones, they are definitely better! :thumbsup:

Is the resistor definitely needed? Or is it dependant on the van throwing errors?

Have any of you got away with not fitting the resistors?

:)

Last edited:
Hi, I know lots has been written about the poor headlights ( most too complicated/ expensive ) but I would really like a simple answer to my question.....Which replacement bulb is the best? I know the improvement is not amazing but any improvement would help.....thank you so much

In my experience they will make night driving slightly easier, but they won't put out enough light to make you happy once you are used to the small improvement.

I have Philips race vision in mine and for less than£20 are a must if you still have the standard bulb fitted. I would say it makes the van safe to drive at night. I have read they only last a year so pop a new set in at the start of the winter .

Thank you...I just don’t know what to do about this issue. I drove the van at dusk in the rain and was actually scared because I could hardly see anything.

We are all in the same boat with h4s . The upgraded bulbs will help but they will never be fun to drive at night. Vw should help as they could Offer a upgrade at cost but then they would need to agree these are unsafe. It’s hard to see how they got through test driving at night when designing the van. I only use mine for work so winter driving is over for me as I now go and come home in the light until next year.

read the threads but does anybody have any reviews on these?
View attachment 68162
They do a review of the Osram on Youtube by Headlight Revolution from memory, also from memory these are a 20w led lamp so with the best will in the world not the brightest.

The limiting factors with tweaking the H4 headlight are the beam pattern produced by the reflector and the fact that the same single H4 lamp can only produce one light source at a time ie dip or main beam so you're not going to be able to drive around on main beam and dip.

The Novisight lamp shown in the thread pumps out enough light to show the limitations of VWs single reflector headlight compared to the neater beam pattern produced by their projector LED headlight and the THQ headlight however neither of those options come in as a sub £100 option and realistically if you're van isn't a daily driver that £500 upwards spend could put your kids through Uni, pay for Grandmas care home or, much more likely as it's not 1930, go towards a set of Judds.:thumbsup:

Back