[Guide] [T6_modified] T6 Speedo Adjustment with VCDS

Hi all, just got my hands on a RossTech unit so coding everything I possibly can. Recently upgraded my factory 16" steels to Springfield OEM 18's (obviously these have a larger wheel circumference). The IDE numbers verify the 16" coding but is there any mechanical reason why you'd code the circumference change into VCDS? At the moment my Speedo over reads e.g 70mph Speedo when GPS states 67 which I quite like (should never get caught speeding) and wouldn't necessarily change. I've seen references to MPG reporting and the odometer being out but again I can live with this. I'm thinking more along the lines of weather this affects indirect TPMS or AbS?

Reactions: mmi
Despite lots of searching, I never did find anyone who'd documented this on a T6.1 (or at least posted about it). So I got brave (or foolish) one evening and decided to try it regardless and finally... success! So thought I'd come back here and post my results in the hope it helps somebody else out.

So as a reminder, my conversion was based on a 22-plate T6.1 Startline (T30 150 DSG) with optional business pack. So the OEM wheels were 16 inch steels with 205/65 R16 tyres. As posted previously, the K-number (IDE00842) doesn't seem to exist on the T6.1 and instead there's just two different IDE00845 values, one for trip distance (2066mm) and one for speed (2149mm).

View attachment 159451

When I looked at the long coding helper I could see my wheel circumference was set to variant 1 - makes sense given the 16" steels are probably the smallest wheels fitted to the T6.1 out of the factory.

2022-04-12_091110.jpg

So with my 275/40/20's fitted, the speedo is reading ~4mph low at 70mph (speedo = 66mph, measured GPS speed = 70mph) which is pretty much in line with what willtheyfit.com tells me.

View attachment 159452

Now the scary part. There's plenty of evidence on various forums and in this thread that changing the wheel variant on the new T6.1 platform is a one-way street. i.e. you can increase the variant but not go backwards. So my approach was to increment the variant one step at a time, hoping they scaled in a relatively linear fashion.

Step 1 - set to variant 2. Coding was rejected (Request out of range).

View attachment 159453

Step 2 - set to variant 3. This time coding was accepted, and my IDE00845 values were increased to 2111mm / 2195mm respectively.

View attachment 159455

A quick test drive confirmed my speedo error was reduced to about 2-3 mph.

Step 4 - set to variant 4. Coding was rejected (Request out of range).

Step 5 - set to variant 5. Coding was rejected (Request out of range).

Step 6 - set to variant 6. Coding was accepted, and my IDE00845 values were increased to 2195mm / 2294 mm.

View attachment 159456

Another test drive and now my speedo is pretty much bang on. At this stage I was very happy to call it quits. Whilst I could have tweaked it higher so that the speedo reads a little higher than actual (as is common practise), I wasn't willing to risk a large leap in circumference knowing that I couldn't revert back. Incidentally I did try going backwards just to verify, and can confirm you get 'Coding Rejected Error 22' which prevents you from doing so.

Thanks to everyone who chipped in with advice, particularly 'AudiGit' on the Ross-Tech forums (where there's a similar thread to this) who gave me sufficient confidence to go for it!

I hope this helps out anyone looking to do a similar tweak.
This is an excellent write-up. I'm hoping that every T6.1 has the same variant circumferences, as all I can do is follow the same process.

This is the Tyre change I need to do:

1670999342578.png
Though I think I read somewhere that some people have changed to a similar wheel and tyre size without needing to change the speedo, I wonder what wheel size they started on?

I finally was able to find some time to start this Speedo Calibration.

I've set it to Variant 3. Variant 2 didn't work just as stated before in this thread.

I took it for a test drive. But the traffic was pretty bad around here and I couldn't get a steady run anywhere at a decent speed. I'll be taking a long trip up the coast tomorrow so I'll be able to do a proper test then, to see how far out the Speedo is now. Though with the small test I did, it does seem to be still over by around 1-3km/h.

I did also find that when I stopped at the Servo for a few minutes, I did get an error light showing up on the dash that seemed to be related to the Adaptive Cruise Control. I'm assuming it's just getting used to the new wheel circumference settings. I did another Auto Scan when I got home and saved it. Then I just cleared all the errors. Hopefully, it won't have any issues tomorrow when I start my long drive.

I'm not 100% sure but I have a feeling the other error messages may be also related to the battery level at the time. I hadn't driven the van in about a week and I think the Dashcam had almost drained the battery. In Hindsight, I probably should have taken it for a drive and charged the battery up a bit before I made the Variant change but I didn't realise at the time it was so low.

Update:
After driving on Variant 3 for a while I found that my speedo was out by 2km/h. Speedo = 100km/h, GPS=102km/h.
So I decided to continue to the next variants. Just like @JimmyAK Variant 4 and 5 didn't work. Variant 6 worked.
Now the Speedo is reading 2km/h the other way. ie. Speedo = 100km/h, GPS = 98km/h.

This is now legal so I'm happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,
Anybody noticed after changing the wheel circumference option via VCDS on a T6 (to suit 17's with 235/65/17 tyres) that the MFD display, gear indicator, now shows that the van is in 6th gear when actually in 5th and also shows 6 when in 6th. 1 through 4 gears, are showing as normal values.
Haven't had a chance to test cruise control in 5/6th yet.
I made this change a while ago but it is possible I never noticed this till now so I'm wondering is it a symptom of the above or something different.
UPDATE: cruise control works fine but… the +/- buttons seem to be increasing/ decreasing by 10kmh. Reading elsewhere it seems short press changes the speed by 5mph so maybe it’s just that, a bit strange though, all other vehicles cruise controls increase / decrease by 2kmh usually.

UPDATE : --------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Factory K-Number = 5 | Byte0 = 15 - Factory wheel/tyre = 205/65/16
Wheels changed to 235/65/17
First Change - K-Number = 2 | IDE00842 = 21100 | IDE80045 = wheel circ 2275mm | Byte0 = 12
With the above the Speedo was overreading by 3Kmh(100kmh GPS = 103kmh Speedo), I was fine with this as a buffer but the above problem of the current gear indicator on MFD display was showing as 6 when running in gear 5 or 6
First Change - K-Number = 3 | IDE00842 = 21868 | IDE80045 = wheel circ 2195mm | Byte0 = ? 13(from memory)
With the above the Speedo and GPS are in parity, < than 1kmh apart and now MFD current gear indicator is showing as expected, displaying 5 when in fifth gear and 6 in sixth with the proper prompt to change from 5 to 6 so all working as it should.

Hope this helps somebody out in the future.

Last edited:
Hi All,
Anybody noticed after changing the wheel circumference option via VCDS on a T6 (to suit 17's with 235/65/17 tyres) that the MFD display, gear indicator, now shows that the van is in 6th gear when actually in 5th and also shows 6 when in 6th. 1 through 4 gears, are showing as normal values.
I made this change a while ago but it is possible I never noticed this till now so I'm wondering is it a symptom of the above or something different.
UPDATE: cruise control works fine but… the +/- buttons seem to be increasing/ decreasing by 10kmh. Reading elsewhere it seems short press changes the speed by 5mph so maybe it’s just that, a bit strange though, all other vehicles cruise controls increase / decrease by 2kmh usually.
Had the chance to do a long solo drive at the weekend and pay attention to the gear indication. All seems normal in my van, albeit it's a T6.1 and not a T6.

Hi All,

Yes, this will happen with certain K number settings. Ultimately it depends on the cluster and software version but it’s known to happen as the cluster is looking for gear info for a different vehicle type. You’ll need to select a different K number to resolve it.

As long as it’s not a T6.1, you can change the settings without issue.

Reactions: mmi
Had the chance to do a long solo drive at the weekend and pay attention to the gear indication. All seems normal in my van, albeit it's a T6.1 and not a T6.
@JimmyAK - Thanks for the feedback..

Yes, this will happen with certain K number settings. Ultimately it depends on the cluster and software version but it’s known to happen as the cluster is looking for gear info for a different vehicle type. You’ll need to select a different K number to resolve it.

As long as it’s not a T6.1, you can change the settings without issue.
@Lightrofit - thanks for the input, figured it was something like that but great to get some confirmation, I’ll try some different K-Number settings and report back to the thread when I get a chance. Cheers…

I know this thread is T6 specific (certainly not for T6.1), but will this work for a T5.1?
I've struggled to find a better guide. I will be using VCDS.

What I have read from other posts is that T6 and T5.1 is the PQ25 platform, and T6.1 is MQB platform.

Wondering if anyone has done this on their T5.1.

Last edited:
I know this thread is T6 specific (certainly not for T6.1), but will this work for a T5.1?
I've struggled to find a better guide. I will be using VCDS.

What I have read from other posts is that T6 and T5.1 is the PQ25 platform, and T6.1 is MQB platform.

Wondering if anyone has done this on their T5.1.

Yes, it will work also for T5.1.

Actually, the origin was a tweak for T5.1 (MY14) - as mentioned in post#1 (copied below)
This tweak is an adaptation from Speedometer Calibration - Page 3

Could anyone help recalibrate my speedo around the Essex area? Just had 245/65/17 fitted today and speedo reading 70mph but gps saying 74/75mph! Don’t mind the discrepancy being the other way around but I’ll likely end up with speeding tickets if I keep it like this .
Happy to travel and pay.
Cheers!

Hi All,

UPDATE : --------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Factory K-Number = 5 | Byte0 = 15 - Factory wheel/tyre = 205/65/16
Wheels changed to 235/65/17
First Change - K-Number = 2 | IDE00842 = 21100 | IDE80045 = wheel circ 2275mm | Byte0 = 12
With the above the Speedo was overreading by 3Kmh(100kmh GPS = 103kmh Speedo), I was fine with this as a buffer but the above problem of the current gear indicator on MFD display was showing as 6 when running in gear 5 or 6
First Change - K-Number = 3 | IDE00842 = 21868 | IDE80045 = wheel circ 2195mm | Byte0 = ? 13(from memory)
With the above the Speedo and GPS are in parity, < than 1kmh apart and now MFD current gear indicator is showing as expected, displaying 5 when in fifth gear and 6 in sixth with the proper prompt to change from 5 to 6 so all working as it should.

Hope this helps somebody out in the future.
Did you ever manage to resolve this? I unfortunately didn't read this far in the thread and changed my T6 to match the 245 65 17 tyres. It's now showing 5th and 6th both as 6th gears as you said. Changing it back to the original setting does not resolve it either. I haven't tried any other options as the one I have selected has resolved speedo.

Did you ever manage to resolve this? I unfortunately didn't read this far in the thread and changed my T6 to match the 245 65 17 tyres. It's now showing 5th and 6th both as 6th gears as you said. Changing it back to the original setting does not resolve it either. I haven't tried any other options as the one I have selected has resolved speedo.
@ShaneMitchinson - Yes, you will need to try different K-Number Settings. Have a look below. @Glenn Board
1707987393817.png

Back