[Guide] Fitting a steering wheel

I’ve been thinking about the flat bottom mod for a while so thought I’d write a how to for anyone else that is interested.

The reasons I like it are:

1. Vanity (Flat bottom steering wheels are cool)
  2. DSG paddles
  3. Fuel Economy (we’ll get to that later)
  4. It’s easier to turn a flat bottom and it fits past my fat legs!
Warning: if you don’t disconnect your battery then your airbag could go off when you disconnect the plug. Even worse than that, when you release the first airbag spring clip your horn will get stuck on and your neighbours will think you’re a bellend!

Some things to know:

• Not every VW flat bottom wheel will fit your van if you’re planning to reuse your original air bag. We’re looking for wheels with the 2 hooks that the airbag attaches to.
  • If you buy a wheel which includes an airbag (from a Polo for instance) you need to make sure that it has the same button layout or it won’t work
I currently have a highline MFSW without ACC. I bought a second hand VW Golf Mk7/ Passat B8 wheel which had covered 10,000 KM with ACC and when I received it, it is a brand new wheel. I paid £105 and the part number is: 5G0419091. Some people use Golf R and Golf GTI/GTD wheels but I wanted the OEM look, personal preference.

View attachment 96514

There are plenty of these wheels on ebay in excellent condition and don’t be put off by the ones without an airbag or without the buttons/surround because in this case we re-use them from your original wheel.

Tools
  • 10mm socket
  • Phone or inspection mirror
  • Flat head screwdriver
  • M10 spline
  • Chisel
  • Hammer
  • Trim tools

How to:

1. Turn on ignition and turn the wheel 90 degreesView attachment 96516
  2. Ignition off
  3. remove key
  4. 10mm socket> Disconnect the negative terminal of the batteryView attachment 96517
  5. Unlock the steering column
  6. Pull it towards you and up as far as you can
  7. Key back in the ignition to release the steering lockView attachment 96518
  8. Find hole on back of steering wheel with inspection mirror (I took this picture before I disconnect the battery)View attachment 96519
  9. Push the clip down until it clears the hook and the front of the horn pops outView attachment 96520
  10. Spin the wheel 90 degrees
  11. Repeat 8 &9
  12. The airbag has now been release and you need to unplug it. Pull the white clip towards you to release the plug and disconnectView attachment 96521
  13. Disconnect the plug from the airbag to the MFSW buttonsView attachment 96522
  14. Remove airbag and store in safe place
  15. Remove the centre nut with the m10 splineView attachment 96526View attachment 96527
  16. Mark the centre of the wheel with the chisel and hammerView attachment 96528
  17. Remove wheelView attachment 96529
  18. Remove the plastic trim and buttons using the trim tools working from the bottom up. Take your time, this will be the longest bit of the process. The trim is held in by barbs so just keep working them (Note the barb next to the button sticks out in to the wheel so be gentle)View attachment 96530View attachment 96531
  19. Give it a cleanView attachment 96532
  20. The DSG paddles work without any coding. Plug the plugs for the paddles in to the sockets on the back on the buttons and you’re good to go.
  21. Push your trim and buttons on to the new wheel and you’re good to go.View attachment 96533
  22. Back in the van, line the wheel up with the mark you madeView attachment 96534
  23. Tighten the wheel back up to 30nm
  24. Plug everything back in
  25. Push the airbag back in
  26. Remove the key
  27. Reconnect the battery
  28. Take it for a test drive
  29. Get yourself a beer, you deserve it!
View attachment 96535

Fuel Economy: My original Highline wheel weighs 600 Grams more than the flat bottom one, so the money that you save on fuel pays for the wheel! ;)

Highline wheel:

View attachment 96536

Flat bottom wheel:

View attachment 96537

I know that's sad but I noticed the difference in weight when I picked it up.

Kev
Excellent write up just done mine
You've made it easy for me many thanks
Mark

20210221_150149.jpg

I’ve been thinking about the flat bottom mod for a while so thought I’d write a how to for anyone else that is interested.

2. DSG paddles
Warning: if you don’t disconnect your battery then your airbag could go off when you disconnect the plug. Even worse than that, when you release the first airbag spring clip your horn will get stuck on and your neighbours will think you’re a bellend!

Some things to know:

• Not every VW flat bottom wheel will fit your van if you’re planning to reuse your original air bag. We’re looking for wheels with the 2 hooks that the airbag attaches to.
  • If you buy a wheel which includes an airbag (from a Polo for instance) you need to make sure that it has the same button layout or it won’t work
I currently have a highline MFSW without ACC. I bought a second hand VW Golf Mk7/ Passat B8 wheel which had covered 10,000 KM with ACC and when I received it, it is a brand new wheel. I paid £105 and the part number is: 5G0419091. Some people use Golf R and Golf GTI/GTD wheels but I wanted the OEM look, personal preference.

View attachment 96514

There are plenty of these wheels on ebay in excellent condition and don’t be put off by the ones without an airbag or without the buttons/surround because in this case we re-use them from your original wheel.

Tools
  • 10mm socket
  • Flat head screwdriver
  • M10 spline
  • Chisel
  • Hammer
  • Trim tools

How to:

2. Ignition off
  3. remove key
  4. 10mm socket> Disconnect the negative terminal of the batteryView attachment 96517
  8. Find hole on back of steering wheel with inspection mirror (I took this picture before I disconnect the battery)View attachment 96519
  9. Push the clip down until it clears the hook and the front of the horn pops outView attachment 96520
  11. Repeat 8 &9
  12. The airbag has now been release and you need to unplug it. Pull the white clip towards you to release the plug and disconnectView attachment 96521
  13. Disconnect the plug from the airbag to the MFSW buttonsView attachment 96522
  15. Remove the centre nut with the m10 splineView attachment 96526View attachment 96527
  16. Mark the centre of the wheel with the chisel and hammerView attachment 96528
  18. Remove the plastic trim and buttons using the trim tools working from the bottom up. Take your time, this will be the longest bit of the process. The trim is held in by barbs so just keep working them (Note the barb next to the button sticks out in to the wheel so be gentle)View attachment 96530View attachment 96531
  20. The DSG paddles work without any coding. Plug the plugs for the paddles in to the sockets on the back on the buttons and you’re good to go.
  21. Push your trim and buttons on to the new wheel and you’re good to go.View attachment 96533
  22. Back in the van, line the wheel up with the mark you madeView attachment 96534
  26. Remove the key
View attachment 96535

Fuel Economy: My original Highline wheel weighs 600 Grams more than the flat bottom one, so the money that you save on fuel pays for the wheel! ;)

Highline wheel:

View attachment 96536

Flat bottom wheel:

View attachment 96537

Kev

Hi Kev,

Just wanted to say a big thank you for this as I too have done this mod, and it works a treat on my 2018 T6 Highline-equivalent (french van).

I found the same steering wheel on ebay in Germany for about 130 euros, and it arrived today. Took me about an hour and a half to do (mainly because I struggled to remove the plastic trim).

I pulled too hard on the trim and pulled the wires out from one of the white button plugs, but thankfully i was able to just pop them back in (phew). If anyone else is doing this mod, make sure you take care when removing the trim because of this.

One thing to note is that my van needed a M12 spline to remove the centre bolt, you state you used M10. Don't know if thats a typo, of it they changed it?

Anyway thanks again!

2. DSG paddles

Some things to know:

View attachment 96514

Tools
  • 10mm socket
  • Flat head screwdriver
  • M10 spline
  • Chisel
  • Hammer
  • Trim tools

How to:

2. Ignition off
  3. remove key
  11. Repeat 8 &9
  26. Remove the key
View attachment 96535

Highline wheel:

View attachment 96536

Flat bottom wheel:

View attachment 96537

Kev
Great write up @Kev_! Might be using this tutorial sometime soon myself! :thumbsup:

0FCAD78D-0A56-4DE4-869F-EFD07E1FEAC1.jpeg
just fitted this thanks for the how to. Great help couldn’t have done it without the info.
all fitted but paddles for the DSG don’t work. I spoke to Leighton’s before purchasing and they said yep they’re all plug and play but sadly mine is not and they don’t know why. On a previous wheel change on another van which HazzyDayz fitted I’m sure the added another wire under the steering column
anyone have any ideas.
van is 67 plate sportline kombi
cheers

Sorry just plugged in and dsg worked
I know it might sound like ball ache but remove the wheel and double check all wires are connected

Sorry just plugged in and dsg worked
I know it might sound like ball ache but remove the wheel and double check all wires are connected
Yeah that’s the next thing I think. What age is yours mines 11/17 plate

Thanks for this guide. The part number made it easy to find a compatible wheel and it's a bonus having the dsg paddles.

i am looking to replace the standard wheel on my shuttle (wheel in the picture) for a flat bottom mfsw. does anyone know if the airbag on my wheel is the right one to fit straight on to one of these wheels?
i take it i will need additional wiring looms to get the sterring wheels buttons working too?

IMG_1470.jpg

Just received this today from David @ customise_steering_wheel_ on Instagram! Absolutely lovely wheel that was made to my spec.

Upgrading from my plastic Startline/Trendline wheel, so hopefully with the help of this thread from @Kev_ all goes well with the fitting tomorrow. David also supplied the wiring loom, so we’ll see how it goes.... I’ll post a before and after picture fitted tomorrow! :thumbsup:

B45FB001-1BB7-4D69-B834-4A3D10513A13.jpeg

This is a great guide!

I found the hardest part was working out the technique you need to remove the button trim off the wheel. Once you've used your trim tools to get a small gap in-between the wheel & trim (working from the bottom up), use the tools to push the trim off the wheel from behind rather than attempting to crowbar it off using the wheel as leverage. The wheel itself is too spongy, so you have to give it a little bit of careful force from behind (as it were).

As Kev said, take your time & be prepared for blisters!

If anyone else is looking to do this, this YouTube vid is also helpful.

Back