Gloss black, satin or matte alloys?

andy greenwood

VIP Member
T6 Guru
We are getting our diamond cut alloys powder coated on monday. Our campervan is white so we decided on gloss black. I am slightly undecided though as im drawn to satin black too.
Whats peoples though on this...which would look best on a white van..gloss / satin or matt ?

I have gloss black alloys on a silver van and I was just saying on another thread that given the choice I would have gone for satin or possibly Matt because the gloss are difficult to keep looking clean. They do look amazing when cleaned though and would look great in a white van too IMO. I have gone with gloss black detailing all over the van and I think it’s a look that would very much suit a white van

With gloss, your tyres really need to be super black all of the time.

I've got gloss black wheels on a white Tig. Most of the time the brake dust makes them satin anyway, which looks OK with dull tyres.

With gloss, your tyres really need to be super black all of the time.

I've got gloss black wheels on a white Tig. Most of the time the brake dust makes them satin anyway, which looks OK with dull tyres.
No chance of keeping the tyres clean on our unadopted road. Sounds like satin could be the one to go for

Colour, style, finish, are all down to personal taste and fashion of the moment. One man's meat is another man,s poison. I am sure that there are other sayings to reinforce or contradict. At least you can change things again, if you do not like the finished article. I have a liking for gun metal or anthracite. This is because it is similar to brake dust. Less cleaning required and looks much the same, most of the time regardless. I am not sure if mat or a polished, varnished, finish would be the most practical.

I tend to have practical reasoning for many things. Form follows function and so on, often this works out visually also. It is very nice when people compliment us on visual things or our choices, of course but what really matters in the end,:grin bounce: is what you and you other half or those sharing your adventure think.

Another vote for satin here...
Satin all day everyday! I’ve had some finishes in black alloys and I’ve found satin to be the best.

Back