Gloss black grilles - paint or buy?

T6Micky88

Has anyone had their Front Grilles painted gloss black? If so, have they been marked by stone chips much?
Also, for those that have, if you were to do it again would you paint again or but gloss black plastic?
I want to do mine but undecided on which option...if the painted option looks messy once marked then i will opt for plastic new.
Cheers

Hi and welcome to the forum. I had mine sprayed gloss black about 18 months ago and they look as good now as the day they were done. For me i weighed up the cost between paint and new and paint was cheaper.

I'm getting mine re-done in gloss back spray, i was slightly concerned about stone chips etc.. I'm also having the door mirror plastic done and some additional Indium Grey detail added.

That's good to hear @fezza68 !

I'm getting mine re-done in gloss back spray, i was slightly concerned about stone chips etc.. I'm also having the door mirror plastic done and some additional Indium Grey detail added.

That's good to hear @fezza68 !
Nice! The option i am going for is the door mirror plastic too plus the lower front end bit between the fog lights. Im not sure if that piece can be bought in gloss black or not?

Nice! The option i am going for is the door mirror plastic too plus the lower front end bit between the fog lights. Im not sure if that piece can be bought in gloss black or not?

Yeah I haven't seen it either.. Yep, that's on the painting plan too!

Is painting the grilles in gloss black a DIY job, I wouldn't know what paint / primer to use.

Is painting the grilles in gloss black a DIY job, I wouldn't know what paint / primer to use.
Yes, it can be! Just make sure that it is completely clean before cleaning. I am a fan of using an etch primer on plastics or non-ferrous metals. (It contains a mild acid to help bind the primer to the surface. Then paint as normal afterwards. Just remember, less is more! Multiple light coats are better than one or two “heavy” ones and reduces the risk of runs.

Yes, it can be! Just make sure that it is completely clean before cleaning. I am a fan of using an etch primer on plastics or non-ferrous metals. (It contains a mild acid to help bind the primer to the surface. Then paint as normal afterwards. Just remember, less is more! Multiple light coats are better than one or two “heavy” ones and reduces the risk of runs.
Also you add to what @JOG has said, but more than you think you will need. I can say this from experience, wouldn’t you agree @JOG

Also you add to what @JOG has said, but more than you think you will need. I can say this from experience, wouldn’t you agree @JOG
Ah, yes! I didn't factor "addicted to the smell of paint/solvents" into my advice. Some, like @Texxaco, adopt an "if it stays still long enough, I will paint it" approach. Then again, I know one non-commercial painter who is on the Xmas card list of some paint suppliers. Do you, @Texxaco?!!

Ah, yes! I didn't factor "addicted to the smell of paint/solvents" into my advice. Some, like @Texxaco, adopt an "if it stays still long enough, I will paint it" approach. Then again, I know one non-commercial painter who is on the Xmas card list of some paint suppliers. Do you, @Texxaco?!!
Ha ha @JOG that will be me I guess with my Buzzweld addiction.

Iv got a black plastic front grill & badge. Thought I’d show you a pic

View attachment 93237
Iv got a black plastic front grill & badge. Thought I’d show you a pic

View attachment 93237
Thats some lovely paint work right there. Im a bit of a Paint detailing spotter myself.....all be it very amateur!
Looks great with the blacked out badge, looks like your top grill is similar to mine and the middle grill would have to be gloss on mine as the van is grey so would stand out a little more...if we had black van, which we very nearly went for, id probably not be too fussed as it blends in anyway.
i think i will just go down the paint route. That ways its all done in one job, including the fog lights surround, and wing mirror base and A pillar attachment.

Has anyone had their Front Grilles painted gloss black? If so, have they been marked by stone chips much?
Also, for those that have, if you were to do it again would you paint again or but gloss black plastic?
I want to do mine but undecided on which option...if the painted option looks messy once marked then i will opt for plastic new.
Cheers
You know Travellin-Lite sell gloss-black engine and fog grilles?

Back