Gloss black grilles - paint or buy?

Personally I brought all the gloss black inserts.. grill, middle bit with radar and side parts in gloss. just watch the THQ video on changing the headlights that will show you how to remove the bumper. I went as far as changing the fog light surrounds to gloss that wasn’t easy.

Don’t do what I did changed all of the gloss uppers then realise under the sportsline that there was more non gloss hiding!!

I've had wing mirrors, indicator bezels, scuttle panel, engine covers all three of them, front grill upper and all the sportline grills with fog lights basically every piece of matt black plastic was sprayed gloss black and I've not had a problem with stone chips 2 years on

20190905_170015.jpg

20200726_080127.jpg

Paint the originals the fit is much better.
I've done mine through a professional body shop. However not black I've colour coded it in the starlight blue.

I’m about to fit my travelinlite ones this weekend (hopefully). Be aware that if you buy these and have front parking sensors then you need to drill the hole in the grill yourself.

Question for those that have fitted the gloss black lower grill and have parking sensors; did you paint the sensors gloss to match?

I think it will mess with my OCD if I don’t.

Knowing now that I have to drill the holes and paint the sensors I would rethink the decision and just get the original grill painted gloss along with the sensor at the same time that my sportline bumper was being sprayed....ho hum :whistle:

Paint the originals the fit is much better.
I've done mine through a professional body shop. However not black I've colour coded it in the starlight blue.
“Fit is much better” - very important factor in the considerations

We remove and paint all of our grilles. As long as they are keyed, primed and painted correctly it will be as durable as all the other paint in the vehicle.

Makes a massive difference to the look too

The T6 one is set back a bit, so less noticeable. Just never painted it.

The T6.1 is part of the grille, and would look odd if not painted.

The T6 one is set back a bit, so less noticeable. Just never painted it.

The T6.1 is part of the grille, and would look odd if not painted.
Ah! That’s understandable. Glad to hear it is still “paintable”!

Mine are the Travelinlite ones. They seem cheaper than OEM but in their defence have seen some miles and look as good as new.

For me, the pain of prepping, primer and paint isn't worth the hassle but it would probably be just as durable.

20201128_202217.jpg

Mine are the Travelinlite ones. They seem cheaper than OEM but in their defence have seen some miles and look as good as new.

For me, the pain of prepping, primer and paint isn't worth the hassle but it would probably be just as durable.

View attachment 93364
Good looking van!

Back