Genuine vw rear bike rack

anyone gone for the thule towbar mounted bike rack? and can confirm whether the tailgate opens on a t6 when the rack is tilted. the thule dealer was unable to confirm and said to bring it down and try a few out
I think you can get one that slides out and then tilts giving a bit more room.

I have a Thule towbar mounted one, it's tilts but does not give clearance for the tailgate to open.

Can someone with the VW rack check the maximum wheelbase that it will take. I found out this morning that the my Thule will not take my new bike with a wheelbase of 1153mm, 27.5 wheels.

My bike has a 1193mm wheelbase and fits the T6 rack fine.

If you're after a towbar rack which allows the tailgate to open, the Atera DL3 is well regarded.

I have a Thule towbar mounted one, it's tilts but does not give clearance for the tailgate to open.

Can someone with the VW rack check the maximum wheelbase that it will take. I found out this morning that the my Thule will not take my new bike with a wheelbase of 1153mm, 27.5 wheels.
Oh darn; can you return it?!

I have just been looking at the Atera DL 3 and it looks perfect. Just about to go ahead and buy it and then i saw the wheelbase issue on the other carrier. I need to check the space available on the DL3 as i have an Extra Large full suspension MTB!

@steve i have a Thule 3 bike carrier (with the option of the extension to carry a 4th) and it folds with bikes on and allows the tailgate to open fine.
Not 100% but think its called a 939

@steve i have a Thule 3 bike carrier (with the option of the extension to carry a 4th) and it folds with bikes on and allows the tailgate to open fine.
Not 100% but think its called a 939

Thanks Pauly I looked at that one today and the Thule dealer said he wasn't 100% sure and we could try it out when I take delivery of the van next week. Nice bit of kit though! Thanks for the info

I have regarded a tow bar as a bumper protector over the years, a muppet nudge parking will do more damage to their bumper than to my tow bar. I have a Maxxraxx tow bar mounted rack which has a 5 bike model....£243, 2 bikes £174 from a quick Google search (other thingy search engines are available apparently!)

Anyone mount bikes on the roof??

I saw some lads at the tunnel last summer with bikes on the roof of their t5's.

I've got a rear tailgate spoiler so cant go do the tailgate rack, and i dont really want the hassle and expense it costs to put a towbar on and buy to a rack to mount on it, plus towbars aint pretty!!!

I only need to carry the bikes a couple of times a year as normally they just go in the back of the van, i just need one when i have the tent and everything else the wife requires when we go away for a fortnight :D:rofl:

I don't carry bikes on the roof but have seen rails that pull out sideways to help loading.

Last edited:
image.png image.png

This is what I was thinking of. It still won't be easy on a van but less chance of damaging the van

I put surfboards on our roof when away and even that's tricky; no way I'd try and put bikes up there despite having carriers that would fit the bars; I'd do far more damage dropping bikes than anything a rear carrier might cause;

The VW one is very well made and thought out; they provide helicopter tape to protect contact points; I can't see them damaging the van or they wouldn't be so popular; plus I'm a bit of a cleaning/detailing geek; I wouldn't use one if I thought it would damage the van.

@Polzeylad - I've finally bought a genuine T6 bike rack and am looking to buy some new pistons for the tailgate before I fit it. Looking to fit Cali ones, but what is the California tailgate like to close without the rack on? Can Mrs Polzeylad close the tailgate easily?

Back