General grabber any better than Goodrich? Pretty disappointed with bf Goodrich

From Blackcircles for BF General Grabber AT3: all 72dB, low ratings in rain and fuel economy.
Whatever your preference or beliefs these are the ratings.
View attachment 127547

Decent comparison of some all season tyres with a summer tyre and general grabber AT3 here:

Noise results look like an anomaly given they’re trying to measure differences of a couple of db in a non-controlled environment. Actual handling results are pretty clear though, the AT tyres are heavily compromised on road vs dedicated all season tyres as you’d expect with performance in the wet especially concerning.

Wow, yeah that’s what I was expecting with the wet braking performance, pretty bad. I’m giving the Scorpions a try so fingers crossed !

For me they slipped more than stock while pulling away and luckily I have not put the braking performance to the test in the wet !
the noise at 40 mph though was pretty annoying and I could feel them on certain road surfaces through the van . ( at about 40 - 45 psi )
They look great though but just niggled away at me too much to keep when everything else on the van is so good
you must be driving your van hard getting wheel slip pulling away even in the wet

i fitted BFGs as i got stuck on a grass verge very happy with them not finding noisy on most roads... i just turn the music up

full fuel and loaded up im getting about 500 miles a tank

reminder driving round with a full tank of fuel weighs about 10 stone = 150 lb, ish then all the kit i have a heavy ply bed and 2 cabinets leisure battery, then all that sound deadening bet im lugging near 30 + stone everywhere i go 40 stone with the wife
on board .
carrying water its 1 kg per litre 10 kg = 22 lb plus beer and cider another stone and all the other bits

lugging about 800 LB with me in there too every where we go so not a bad fuel consumption on them i think

i wont blame the Tyres using up a bit

you must be driving your van hard getting wheel slip pulling away even in the wet

i fitted BFGs as i got stuck on a grass verge very happy with them not finding noisy on most roads... i just turn the music up

full fuel and loaded up im getting about 500 miles a tank

reminder driving round with a full tank of fuel weighs about 10 stone = 150 lb, ish then all the kit i have a heavy ply bed and 2 cabinets leisure battery, then all that sound deadening bet im lugging near 30 + stone everywhere i go 40 stone with the wife
on board .
carrying water its 1 kg per litre 10 kg = 22 lb plus beer and cider another stone and all the other bits

lugging about 800 LB with me in there too every where we go so not a bad fuel consumption on them i think

i wont blame the Tyres using up a bit
I would say Im probably one of the gentlest drivers about , and I’m not talking about wheelspin, more if it’s rained, pulling out from a junction , up a hill you feel the wheels start to struggle to grip rather than spin, you can feel it before it happens. With the continental 4 seasons on it does not do it.
So a combination of that, and the actual facts and figures of pretty diabolical performance on wet roads was enough for me to chance my mind! I would rather not have to turn my sterio up to drown out the noise from them as well ( I’m not sure the standard sterio could manage to go loud enough !) My van has hardly any load in it too with just the Kombi rear seat.

I use my 4Motion van on farms and in forestry in summer and winter, although 90% of my mileage is on road. An all terrain tyre with a focus on off road ability would on some occasions be very useful to me, but I just can't fit tyres with such compromised on road performance.
I often drive farm pick ups with BFG's and other AT tyres and the on road performance that I experience is the reason I won't put them on my T6. These pick ups spend a lot of time off road carrying out essential tasks and a road biased tyre would not allow that, but they're a compromise too far for me personally, mainly in the wet braking scenario.

its each to their own ideals, needs and wants .. is how this thread started... i park on a lot of fields so it gives me a bit of confidence that i wont get stuck again and driving off road is more about technique and keeping forward momentum and not just having chunky Tyres
also i like having reinforced Tyres too when you look at the weights we carry when you add all the stuff that we carry together it mounts up... plus there is less aqua planning risk too ....
Nothing wrong with my standard Stereo and Speakers.. its what you play through them that matters..... i don't want to hear my injectors ticking lol and u ll hear me coming in to your town ha ha ha my van is extreme insulated too so that might make a difference... till you get on the Concrete Surrey section South M25

Sounds like they work perfectly for you then mud digger, they were just not for me and thank you loz for pointing me in the right direction. Quite excited to see how the pirelli ones compare .

till you get on the Concrete Surrey section South M25
Not often I pass through the SE outback but when I do I have to admire their dedication and driving skills getting the kids to school on those treacherous roads.
No wonder they need the monster 4WDs jammed up on pavements around the school gates:whistle:

For anyone that’s interested, I just put on the Pirelli Scorpion AT plus and am incredibly impressed. I have not tested them off road , but on road so far they are so much quieter. Just what I was after . And thy look fantastic!

For anyone that’s interested, I just put on the Pirelli Scorpion AT plus and am incredibly impressed. I have not tested them off road , but on road so far they are so much quieter. Just what I was after . And thy look fantastic!
What size you go for bunty? Show us a photo

Back