Garmin Bc30 Reversing Camera Q

Oldrat

Senior Crafter
T6 Legend
Hi folks
Thinking of fitting one of these as I already have a suitable sat nag.

Linky

According to the fitting instructions, it suggests using a switched live taken from the reversing light.

My Q is will this work on my T6 or will the cambus go all wobbly on me.

Cheers

Thanks mmi :thumbsup:
Those posts stirred some brain cells, thanks

I think I read those threads when first posted maybe the cause of my Q.

I’m getting less optimistic about tapping into the reversing light. My van has a full camper conversion so running a line to the front is not really a decent option.

I’d welcome insight about fitting a relay, and where to pick power up from.

The Garmin camera uses Bluetooth to link up with a Garmin Sat Nag.

Any thoughts welcomed guys

Not sure what was the root cause for the difficulties in those threads. I have seen a few of those Garmin Reversing Cameras installed without any problems, however not on a T6.

Also my thought is that taking the feed from reversing light should be fine.

You called for ANY ideas, so here's one to "smooth" the electricity for the camera (instead of a relay+separate feed):
A capacitor to make a reservoir for the camera in case there are any interference riding on voltage from reversing lights. The diode prevents the reversing bulb to drain the capacitor. The size of the capacitor probably needs some experimenting - my guess is that 100uF should suffice.
upload_2019-2-5_22-45-7.png
Anyways, relatively easy to try, and not a big loss even if doesn't help.​

Hi folks
Thinking of fitting one of these as I already have a suitable sat nag.

Linky

According to the fitting instructions, it suggests using a switched live taken from the reversing light.

My Q is will this work on my T6 or will the cambus go all wobbly on me.

Cheers
I have one installed on my 2016 T6, it works fine without any errors. Have also added an additional LED reversing light to the original reversing light feed, again no problems.

I have connected to the reversing lamp feed by removing the reversing light (in my case nearside only.
Cut back the insulation tape on the wiring loom going to the lamp unit to allow the rubber grommet in the body to slide toward the loose lamp unit.
The connection can then be made to the +ve feed on the ‘dry’ side of the body grommet, it is also easy to access at a later stage as just two screws to remove.
The new BC30 camera feed can then be run up the rear of the van, through the rubber ‘boot’ at the tailgate hinge and then through the tailgate. You’ll need to be very patient, getting the cable through the tailgate is real pain in the arse. It is possibly easier on a barn door van.
The BC30 works extremely well, I can imagine why any camera is hardwired these days.

Oldrat, I forgot to mention that I took both wires not just the +ve feed for the BC30 from the connection behind the tail lamp. I guess you could run just the +ve wire with a local earth but I haven’t tried that.

Oldrat, I forgot to mention that I took both wires not just the +ve feed for the BC30 from the connection behind the tail lamp. I guess you could run just the +ve wire with a local earth but I haven’t tried that.

Thanks for clarifying the wiring setup. We recently changed our Peugeot van for a VW California Ocean and want to fit a Garmin BC 30, which we have used before. I am interested to know where on the VW you installed the camera and Bluetooth transmitter as I am not keen on the number plate option.
I would appreciate your advice.
Many thanks.

Back