Problems with aftermarket reverse camera...

Steve1978

T6 Guru
hi,

Just install a reversing camera which seems to work fine when the ignition is off or switch on the position and the vehicle is in reverse.

When the engine is running in reverse the camera does not come on.

I have wired the pioneer F88Dab and pioneer reversing camera as follows...

Red to the red on original loom
Black to Black on the original loom.
Green and black in passenger side pillar to the white and purple in the back of the head unit.

Bit baffled as to why it doesn't seem to work when engine is running but when it isn't it seems to operate as expected...

Maybe @Absolut5 or another forum guru could help?

Did you power the camera from the reverse light? I done that initially and had exactly the same issue. Once I changed the supply that issue went away (I have a separate issue now though).

No mate, took the red and Black from the head unit loom, Green/black is the reverse wire (in the passenger b pillar), and the purple/white is reverse input on the Pioneer, so the Pioneer will flip the screen to show image....

Pics are a bit crap, the blue thing are wire taps, the brown wire is the one I used to get the reverse flip to work

IMG_2020.JPG

IMG_2015.JPG

IMG_2019.JPG

Ah ok gotcha now. Weird it's the same issue though. You could try a piggy back fuse holder and take a feed from the fuse box under the gear stick area, that's what I plan on doing soon as although mine now works it goes a little funny every so often as if it's not getting enough power.

You need to fit a relay if using the reverse light supply. The other alternative is to connect to an ignition supply instead. Try F55. (fifth one down on right hand column)

The camera has a red a black and an brown cable. The brown is the video jack.

In the ISO connector there is a red and a black. I have wired the camera straight to these (effectively always live) the stereo has a purple and white which is the auto switch over, this is connected to the green and black in B column. It sometimes works and other times it doesn't

I don't think there is any power draw from the reverse light at all. It's just to tell the stereo to switch the channel over

Read my thread here Reverse light live cable

My issue was because tye live feed I used used PWS and the camera didn't like it. You have used a different supply but it may also be using PWS. To avoid it you need to take a live feed (ignition live) directly from the fuse box

PS I'm not an auto electrician so this could be nonsense but it seems to be what's happening to mine

Thanks pal. I think the major difference is my head unit has a reverse signal input so I have an extra cable. Done this little diagram.

image.jpg

Same as mine except I connected the reverse signal input to the reverse signal wire that was part of my wiring harness.

To be clear is the issue with the trigger to make it switch to camera or is it with power? I.e the camera screen comes on but there's no image

Well strangly enough it seems to be working fine now.... which is even more confusing.

The issue was with the trigger. putting it in reverse wih the engine running didnt trigger the camera. (but now it does...ODD!)

Try not to use those types of connections, as they are not great for low power applications.

Also if you have a CanBus interface behind the Pioneer radio, this may not be powerful enough to drive bother the radio and camera..

What wiring interface is it?

Try not to use those types of connections, as they are not great for low power applications.

Also if you have a CanBus interface behind the Pioneer radio, this may not be powerful enough to drive bother the radio and camera..

What wiring interface is it?

I will swap it over and just use a touch of solder. interestingly I have a canbus box which came with the kit from @Absolut5 but the vehicle didn't have anything to plug in to it. wasnt too sure what to do about that tbh

I will swap it over and just use a touch of solder. interestingly I have a canbus box which came with the kit from @Absolut5 but the vehicle didn't have anything to plug in to it. wasnt too sure what to do about that tbh

Is there not a purple wire coming out of the black CanBus box.....? This is the reverse wire

Hmm. I think I may need to post some pics.

In the kit I got from you @Absolut5 it. Had a small black box which I believe is for the canbus. But the vehicle just had the standard radio ISO block connector. Nothing else.

Well strangly enough it seems to be working fine now.... which is even more confusing.

The issue was with the trigger. putting it in reverse wih the engine running didnt trigger the camera. (but now it does...ODD!)
hi guys i had the same problem ,found reverse trigger was only 9vdc not enough to switch cameras on my system, even installed a opto isolator relay still no go.thinks out put card is looking at the resistance of the circuit for bulbs that have blown,suggest get a voltmeter and look for 12vdc that only swtches on when reverse is selected and before the volts get to the output card thats what i will be trying next.cheers jk

Hmm. I think I may need to post some pics.

In the kit I got from you @Absolut5 it. Had a small black box which I believe is for the canbus. But the vehicle just had the standard radio ISO block connector. Nothing else.

there should be a Purple wire coming out of the black box..for reverse

Post some pics up

hi guys i had the same problem ,found reverse trigger was only 9vdc not enough to switch cameras on my system, even installed a opto isolator relay still no go.thinks out put card is looking at the resistance of the circuit for bulbs that have blown,suggest get a voltmeter and look for 12vdc that only swtches on when reverse is selected and before the volts get to the output card thats what i will be trying next.cheers jk

The correct CanBus interface behind the headunit will sort this....

Back