Fuel tank capacity

Briston

T6 Pro
Hello folks
Now,I am not the brightest but....when my van is showing nearly empty & I have 20/30 miles range left,why does it only take 50 ltrs or so to fill the 70 ltrs tank. I assume that the gauge is reading wrong or have I somehow got one with a smaller tank. The mpg is around 29 on average so far,only done 1200 miles but strange it is so far out.???

Reading others comments when totally empty 0 miles showing plenty of people have said they can only get circa 60 litres in (a 70 litre tank) which would indicate to me a 10 litre reserve beyond empty, dont know anyone thats been brave enough to try it out but someone did mention going a fair bit beyond 0 to reach a petrol station without problem

Thinking about it i once filled from empty (absolutely empty following my wife putting petrol in and having to get it all sucked out) so if i can dig out the receipt for that would be interesting to see how much it took in comparison to when i fill up from the normal empty of <50 miles range ??

I was caught out late at night coming back to Cornwall, A30 diversion took me all over north Cornwall an extra 50 miles or so. I would have had enough had it not been for the @@@£&?:// diversion! Late on a Sunday no garages open and the T6 slowly counting down the miles till empty 30... 20...10...--...--... with still 15 miles or so till the nearest 24 hr garage. I was looking for places to pull over and fend off the beast of Bodmin moor should she run out! However she made it without a stutter and on filling up I worked out there was still about 4 litres ( almost a gallon) left.

So I am a little more confident on low fuel levels now! I average about 38/40 around locally and did get 48mpg a few weeks ago in France (though I was following a shed dragger back to the ferry!)

Never had courage to run down to 0 range. The “best” one was range remaining 25 km (15 miles) and then it took 69,2 liters :eek:(70 liter tank)! If I had known that when driving… Obviously sometimes what we don’t know won’t hurt us… :speechless:
I get warning light when about 120-140 km range remaining and then it definitely needs more than 60 liters to fill it up.

Dont forget all euro 5 vans have an 80 litre tank capacity as standard then euro 6 vans get a 70 as standard with an upgrade option to 80 litre

Dont forget all euro 5 vans have an 80 litre tank capacity as standard then euro 6 vans get a 70 as standard with an upgrade option to 80 litre
Never knew that. I was wondering why my van costs so much to fill even from 1/4.
I test drove my van with the fuel light on and the garage seem to be happy it had a big enough reserve tank. That's the only time I've ever seen my red light on.

About the only thing I miss in my T5.1 but it was so much thirstier that I think fuel range is similar. And 80L tank with a 204 would be great.

So it would appear I am not going bonkers then
I won't be trying to go past what the dash is telling me in the short term,it's the fact that I only have a 400 mile range that's annoying,was hoping for nearer 600 tbh.

Hi, previous year in Poland on dual carriageway motorway (autobahn) driving in speeds between 150 - 120 km/h (74-93 mph) we got situation when dashboard showing still 20km range ended up engine stopping and stucking us on a motorway sidelines for a HUGE while, as you can't start it up even by getting tank filled with hardly got diesel in the middle of motorway where closest station is in many tens of miles (luckily we managed to stope where junction of animal crossing bridge is and some locals across the fence brought us a small tank of diesel). You can start it up ( 2014 and up models) just in service center (you could imagine a hassle cause it was Sunday evening), luckily again we had still some program called "mobility guarantee" , which brought us and the minibus to closest city with dealership service center. Thus we drained whole day off of our vacation. This models 2014 T5 Multivan has 80l tank.

Hi All!

I've placed an order for what will be my new van. I'm just debating if I made a mistake by not upgrading the fuel tank for £75ish from 70L to 80L. How many of you upgraded at order stage?

I forgot ! LoL ..... I wish I had. Can there even be a downside to more range ?? If you're not doing long trips then maybe not so noticeable but for £75, as a minimum, it's just something else to make the van more attractive at re-sale time

As far as I know VW removed the option for a larger fuel tank from the end of last year. (something to do with the extra Adblue tank)
Personally it would of been the first box i'd of ticked, but when I was told it wasn't available anymore, I didn't really think much of it, but I only really get around 400 miles per tank, against 500 miles on my previous van, so if a larger tank is something I miss.

I get around 600 miles from my 80L tank and it has ad-blue so I don’t know why VW would remove the option but who knows with those guys

The 80 L is still available from the factory - so pretty much everywhere else can order it - it's just that the 'UK importer' has decided that its customers are too stupid to choose through a long option list and decided to shrink it .....hence the options list shrinking !!!

I'm glad I've got one as I struggle to get 500 miles in mine ,a 204 , although running pretty full with tools and equipment etc.

I would have gone 80L but my van should of been a euro 5 but got upgrade to euro 6 ,I didn't know there was an option till a lot later .

The 80L tank is still an option on the configurator on the VW Commercial vehicles website, it £78 plus vat.

The 80L tank is still an option on the configurator on the VW Commercial vehicles website, it £78 plus vat.

It was an option when I ordered mine in October, but my salesman said it's no longer available.
If it transpires that it actually is available, i'm not going to be overly chuffed.

Thats because the configurator is German based, just translated for uk - If you look at the UK pricelist it's missing along with a few others.

Back