Fuel problem

D

Deleted member

Hi, wonder if anyone can help as I’m a little worried. My two year old T6 recently broke down. I got recovered to the dealers who to cut a long story short said they were not doing any investigation until they got a fuel sample back. When it came back they said it contained water and I would be looking at £4000-£7000 as it wasn’t under warranty for contaminated fuel and they needed the go ahead from myself to do a two hour inspection to see the extent of the damage . I of course said no and that I would get the van recovered from them, however instead of recovery I decided to bring in a fuel fixer man who drained it flushed it and the van started all good stuff, it cost £320.
However here is the thing, when the fuel fixer guy popped the bonnet to our shock the vw garage had left the engine incomplete .....as in all the pipes were hanging off and things not put back together !!, I went into the workshop told them and they were of course embarrassed got it straight on the Ramps and within 30 mins we were ok to start our fuel cleaning.
The worry my husband has is that the pipe that connects air to the turbo was left off!. There was no protective bag over the end and we are now worried that if any dust or dirt got in it will therefore Knacker the turbo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯‍♀️Should I be worried ??.
Any help appreciated
Jacqui

Was the engine started with the pipes off ?
If not, I wouldn’t worry.

Pete

Hi, wonder if anyone can help as I’m a little worried. My two year old T6 recently broke down. I got recovered to the dealers who to cut a long story short said they were not doing any investigation until they got a fuel sample back. When it came back they said it contained water and I would be looking at £4000-£7000 as it wasn’t under warranty for contaminated fuel and they needed the go ahead from myself to do a two hour inspection to see the extent of the damage . I of course said no and that I would get the van recovered from them, however instead of recovery I decided to bring in a fuel fixer man who drained it flushed it and the van started all good stuff, it cost £320.
However here is the thing, when the fuel fixer guy popped the bonnet to our shock the vw garage had left the engine incomplete .....as in all the pipes were hanging off and things not put back together !!, I went into the workshop told them and they were of course embarrassed got it straight on the Ramps and within 30 mins we were ok to start our fuel cleaning.
The worry my husband has is that the pipe that connects air to the turbo was left off!. There was no protective bag over the end and we are now worried that if any dust or dirt got in it will therefore Knacker the turbo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯‍♀️Should I be worried ??.
Any help appreciated
Jacqui

Out of interest, why would VW be checking your fuel for contamination?

Any help appreciated
Jacqui

Are you using bio diesel? That you had water in the fuel

I'm not the only one itching to know how water got in the fuel and why the dealers tested the fuel for water contamination.
I know I'm not. It's a proper cliff hanger, like when JR Ewing got shot in Dallas and we had to wait to find out whodunnit.

I think it's a logical question, this is an interesting thread, I hope it turns out well for the OP, or at least as well as it can.

To try and avoid a warranty repair ?
That’s what I was thinking. A van comes in on a breakdown and the first thing they test is fuel contamination, it seems an odd place to start. Just my opinion of course, maybe there was more discussion with the garage before they thought this was the best thing to check first.

From my experience with Diesel and water contamination the water would be in the bottom of the tank and therefore highly unlikely to be picked up in the fuel line unless you had just filled up with water?
If there is water contamination over a period of time it’s highly likely that there is also microbe growth in the fuel tank.
I don’t know the circumstances and the reason VW did a water test but it sounds very suspicious.
As for disconnected pipes / apertures being left open and unprotected that’s very bad practice. As a apprentice trained mechanical fitter & turner I would expect an arse kicking for doing stuff like that.

Thank you

I post this with the greatest respect, and I genuinely mean that.
You've come on here and asked a question as a new member, and other members have been kind enough to help you out with replies. I'm not sure if there is a reason you are being cagey about the water in the fuel question that several members have asked about, or if you just don't know why, but through years of experience on here, most will only be asking incase it's something the rest of us should be aware of, or can help you with. It's not unheard of for fuel to get contaminated at a fuel station, maybe it would be good to know which one if that's the case.

To most people, your initial explanation seems a little odd, hence why you have several question about the water in the fuel.
Why VW would jump straight onto testing fuel for contamination, then to hit you with an insane quote that you'd of potentially be paying, just isn't what we'd normally read on here, and certainly sounds a bit suspicious without the rest of the back-story.

If the 'cut a long story short' is just something you don't want to divulge, that's totally fine, but the likelihood is the same question will keep getting asked on this thread until you as the original poster explains in a little more detail.
Most of us are on here to help members or get help from members, and new issues are a fantastic way to add to peoples knowledge.

Last edited:
I've just had a similar problem, no warning lights, lost power, broke down, got recovered. Roadside assist suspect turbo had collapsed but Dealer said not under warranty (67 plate still in 3 year warranty) as got water in fuel. I went and got a sample and had it tested to find density is spot on, no water present but it is cloudy, looks like scrumpy with sediment in it. Had tank drained and new filter but still won't start. Anyone any advice? They said must be contaminated fuel. Been in touch with shell garage where I last filled up, 4 days before broke down, used 1/4 tank but no other reports.

You'll need VCDS or similar scan tool to bleed out the system and run the fuel pumps to re-prime the system.

possibly flush the system through . . .

you can then check the Rail pressure against the spec.

you can then try to start the engine, watching the PIDs and engine scan data & any fault codes.

possible issues could be HPFP,injectors - blocked or danged

fuel pumps, blocked filter etc etc etc . . . .

Back