Fuel problem

Worse than the price was having no van for 5 weeks. As a one man band working out of a van it has been a nightmare. Had a courtesy van for 2 days until deemed not warranty work then left to sort myself
Ouch, nightmare.
Did you determine what the cause was ? Was it the fuel or pump ?

Fuel test showed it had more water in it than what is considered normal / acceptable. Didnt determine what the dirt, discolouring was. The shell garage tests where i filled up last came back clear so no comeback with them.

Got my van back yesterday after 7 weeks in the dealership. Final outcome - new engine, fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors and I got them to replace the water pump and cam belt at the same time.
just soooooo glad to get him back, now I can get on with the leisure battery upgrade.:waving:

Got my van back yesterday after 7 weeks in the dealership. Final outcome - new engine, fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors and I got them to replace the water pump and cam belt at the same time.
just soooooo glad to get him back, now I can get on with the leisure battery upgrade.:waving:
So your van went from needing new injectors to needing new everything! :eek:
You say they replaced the engine and you got them to replace the cam belt too, I hope you didn't pay extra for that as the new engine would have had a cam belt fitted.
Any idea what caused this catastrophic failure?

Reactions: DXX
To be fair the dealership looked after me well. They put it down to a failure of the fuel pump which VW replaced foc. The rest was put through as consequential damage. New engine came with new injectors but not a new cam belt or water pump. I’m well happy with the result given I’ve got a new engine, fp and injectors foc.

To be fair the dealership looked after me well. They put it down to a failure of the fuel pump which VW replaced foc. The rest was put through as consequential damage. New engine came with new injectors but not a new cam belt or water pump. I’m well happy with the result given I’ve got a new engine, fp and injectors foc.
You say ‘foc’, I guess you mean it was a warranty repair and free of charge? What was the cause of the failure?
I guess if you didn’t get the belt and pump with the ‘new engine’ it was a new block and head assembly not the complete engine?

You say ‘foc’, I guess you mean it was a warranty repair and free of charge? What was the cause of the failure?
I guess if you didn’t get the belt and pump with the ‘new engine’ it was a new block and head assembly not the complete engine?
Yep new block and head. No - warranty ran out last October. According to the technician the fuel pump was the cause.

Yep new block and head. No - warranty ran out last October. According to the technician the fuel pump was the cause.
Which fuel pump?
The lift pump in the tank or the HPFP (High-pressure fuel pump) that is driven by the cambelt?

Which fuel pump?
The lift pump in the tank or the HPFP (High-pressure fuel pump) that is driven by the cambelt?
HHP knackered the injectors which squirted liquid fuel into the cylinders causing two bent conrods causing piston slap which scored the bores.

Reactions: DXX
HHP knackered the injectors which squirted liquid fuel into the cylinders causing two bent conrods causing piston slap which scored the bores.
got ya, when it fails, very fine filings can get forced into the injectors and they don't close properly...

What was the milage on the engine and did you get a dash warning when the HP pump failed?

4 year old, 40k on the clock, no warnings whatsoever
If I've understood this right you've only paid for the new cambelt / waterpump which you were due to replace anyway at 4 years old.
If that's right then it's great to hear of a dealer looking after a customer this way, as you were out of warranty. :thumbsup:

Hi I gotta problem with my t6 2016 starts up drives and then after parking up when it’s off won’t start back up again but only could be started through computer primering the fuel tank any else had this ball ache

Finally got my van back today, new fuel pump and injectors, over £5k in total. £2k labour.
Looking forward to getting my next none vw van!
WTF wow these vans are overrated

Back