Fuel problem

I've just had a similar problem, no warning lights, lost power, broke down, got recovered. Roadside assist suspect turbo had collapsed but Dealer said not under warranty (67 plate still in 3 year warranty) as got water in fuel. I went and got a sample and had it tested to find density is spot on, no water present but it is cloudy, looks like scrumpy with sediment in it. Had tank drained and new filter but still won't start. Anyone any advice? They said must be contaminated fuel. Been in touch with shell garage where I last filled up, 4 days before broke down, used 1/4 tank but no other reports.
I can’t determine why it won‘t start but I wouldn’t recommend trying to start it before it’s been professionally purged and accessed for damage.
Water contaminated fuel will damage the HP fuel pump and injectors, debris from these contaminated components will then spread causing further damage.

I can’t determine why it won‘t start but I wouldn’t recommend trying to start it before it’s been professionally purged and accessed for damage.
Water contaminated fuel will damage the HP fuel pump and injectors, debris from these contaminated components will then spread causing further damage.
Its the dealer that has drained it and tried to start with 'clean' fuel. They not done any other investigations apart from the usual plug in as far as I'm aware

Its the dealer that has drained it and tried to start with 'clean' fuel. They not done any other investigations apart from the usual plug in as far as I'm aware
There is a procedure to follow for an engine that has run with ‘incorrect’ fuel, just draining the fuel tank is not enough.
Diesel lubricates the fuel pump and injectors, water contaminated Diesel does not have the same lubrication properties. If you used a 1/4 tank of contaminated fuel it doesn't sound good.
T6 Forum VIP membership gives you access to the manuals.

There is a procedure to follow for an engine that has run with ‘incorrect’ fuel, just draining the fuel tank is not enough.
Diesel lubricates the fuel pump and injectors, water contaminated Diesel does not have the same lubrication properties. If you used a 1/4 tank of contaminated fuel it doesn't sound good.
T6 Forum VIP membership gives you access to the manuals.

Anyone heard of fuel filters being faulty? The amount of bits in the fuel samples taken is pretty worrying

Also does anyone know what is in the fuel filters as they are a sealed canister type unit? Gonna get the fuel sent off and tested in a lab

get a sample of the diesel . . . . put it in a clear plastic sandwich bag . . .

then use a magnet to see if there are any metal particals that move to the magnet at the bottom of the bag . . . .

they are so small you cant see them . . . but with the magnet you will see a fine grey graphite powder/slug.

if its metal the the HPFP and injectors may need to be replaced.

(this is what happened to my mate last year with a ford derv engine - needed hpfp, 4x injectors and a full flush and refill)

is it magnetic? / ferrous?
can you strain some out an put it on a white kitchen towel for a better look . . .

thats a LOT of contamination !!!!!

has someone filled your tank up with mud?

The fuel filter installed on a T6 won’t remove water. The water contaminated fuel has probably destroyed the HP fuel pump and then gone on to damage the injectors and possibly the pressure regulating valve. As far as I’m aware the pressure regulating valve passes excess fuel back to the tank.
The debris in the tank may then be pumped by the lift pump through the fuel filter, clogging the filter.
Cranking the engine without fuel in HP fuel pump for any thing but a short period will also damage the HP fuel pump. I’d be hoping that after VW drained the tank they went through the correct process of priming the system.
I’ve never heard of a faulty fuel filter In any system other than canister filter bursting due to being incompatible with fuel pressure (not a car/van).
There are filters available that do remove water, installed in marine functions, never on vehicles.
Regarding the filling station I’d be surprised if the holding tank or pump does not have a water sensing monitor / alarm system, it’s very cheap so why wouldn’t they?
Yours certainly wouldn’t be the only engine affected if the filling station is pumping contaminated fuel, it might be worth ringing around local garages to see if they’ve seen a spike in cases.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.
No obvious sign of metal in the fuel.
VW still saying contaminated fuel is the cause. An independent reckons a failed fuel pump could of caused the contamination. VW repair starting at £3K but been warned if injectors need replacing £7K plus.
Only had the van 12 months its just under 3 years old and only done 30k...Gutted

Thanks for the replies.
VW still saying contaminated fuel is the cause. An independent reckons a failed fuel pump could of caused the contamination. VW repair starting at £3K but been warned if injectors need replacing £7K plus.
Only had the van 12 months its just under 3 years old and only done 30k...Gutted
Blood hell, I'm gutted for you!!
Of course VW are still saying contaminated fuel is the cause, looking at the picture you posted on saturday it would be hard to disagree!!
I just can't see how a failed fuel pump caused that contamination, just my humble opinion. Have you any idea how the fuel could have been contaminated? I'm curious because you say that after filling up with fuel you used a quarter of a tank before encountering any problems, that might suggest that that fill up was not the cause of the contamination.
All that crap in the container didn't get there on its own, it's worrying that you are the second person to post such a similar account, which is ruinously expensive for you.
Surely you can't rest until you find out what caused this??

Thanks for the replies.
7K!!!!
I just had a quick look on Autodoc and the injectors are less than 300 quid each.
Might be worth getting an independent quote or even voiding the VW warranty for that much.

Sent the fuel away to get tested, otherwise its just a guessing game. VW now going to try a sensor / solenoid on the injector rail before trying a new hpfp. Hopefully this does the trick?

This is gonna drag on....the sensor they were going to try didn't fit so presumably was not the right one. Not sure if they are going to try the right one or not or whether they cant be replaced? See what tomorrow brings

Interesting thread given my beloved velle had to go into the garage this week. Had a bumpy ride back from Southampton on Monday and Tuesday morning on start up it was running like a warm petrol engine on full choke (best way I can describe it) and the exhaust fumes were dreadful (No smoke or visual just a strong stink). After leaving it running for 15-20 minutes it ran a little smoother but taking it for a test drive it was not happy.
Just had a call from the garage - all 4 injectors failed the pressure test and hence need replacement. Technician had checked the fuel supply for swarf from the pump but clear. He could say what has caused these to fail.
Costs? - £2500.08

Worse than the price was having no van for 5 weeks. As a one man band working out of a van it has been a nightmare. Had a courtesy van for 2 days until deemed not warranty work then left to sort myself

Back