Flat battery been jumped started query

Jonni2rets

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all, the wife had a flat battery on the t6 after she finished work and one of her friends used jump leads to get her started but they used the negative on the battery. I was told not to use the negative terminal on the battery but she didn’t know any different, would this cause any damage or problems doin it this way? It’s due a new battery as its showing signs it’s on its way out.

Exactly as Pete said.

Not an issue for a quick jump start but don't connect your mains charger to it for 24-hours etc etc.

But I'd recommend getting your own jump pack in case you get caught out again.

That way you will be able to jump start yourself in seconds.

Indeed.

The gbx75 is the new model.

Screenshot_20230228_072150_Amazon Shopping.jpg

But, as you say it's £50 or £60 dearer. So in the example above I just listed the cheaper version but they are both awesome and will easily start T6 with ease.

(I have both versions, and the GB150, and now a GBX155 as well, and can vouch for them.)

I have the GB70 constantly in the van just in case.
Its been really handy and have used it loads of times, I actually used it last night on the wife’s car, the kids have used it to charge their phones when camping and we all used it to charge everything when we had a power cut.

I think I’ve needed it once for the van :)

Question should be, why was it flat? How old is the battery, was it cold etc.
It’s off a 2018 van, noticed lately it’s struggling to turn over when used and has a dash cam powered permanently. Time to replace the battery I think.

I had a flat battery last week didn't think about the negative side of the battery as I was so pi$$ed off it was flat. So just connected it to the batty terminal's. But since done my Sargent ec 160 power unit doesn't show the vehicle battery voltage on it.

This string started with an incorrectly fitted jump leads. My problem arose from similar but had a different result.
The leads were correctly fitted on my T6 but those on the other vehicle were both connected to the battery terminals.
This would have been ok but the T6 has stop/start (the earth on the donor vehicle should have been grounded to the bodywork) and though the engine started, all the safety features have been disabled. I hope this is no more than a blown fuse - but which one? Or have I actually done more damage?

This string started with an incorrectly fitted jump leads. My problem arose from similar but had a different result.
The leads were correctly fitted on my T6 but those on the other vehicle were both connected to the battery terminals.
This would have been ok but the T6 has stop/start (the earth on the donor vehicle should have been grounded to the bodywork) and though the engine started, all the safety features have been disabled. I hope this is no more than a blown fuse - but which one? Or have I actually done more damage?
T6.1?

Got a pic of the dash lights?

On a T6.1 after a flat battery you need to go for a drive to reset and recalibrate all the sensors.

Ie steering angle sensor etc.

Back