Front Tow Bar

sam.spoons

Has anybody found/fitted a tow ball on the front of their T6, I will be using the van to launch a boat and past experience tells me that having a ball on the front makes the job very much easier?

Not sure that you could take the van on a public road with a font tow hitch

I think it would be ok (doesn't fall foul of any C&U regs I can think of) but I would want a detachable anyway purely for the aesthetics. They are easy enough to find fo the likes of my old Shogun but nothing comes up on Google for the T6.

Last edited:
Try watling engineers they do one for t5 which is removable and will build bespoke for similar price. Same as for manoeuvring caravans as well as boats

Has anybody found/fitted a tow ball on the front of their T6, I will be using the van to launch a boat and past experience tells me that having a ball on the front makes the job very much easier?
No, sorry, I don't understand.
Easier in what way?

Launching a boat down the slip is a fair bit easier if the trailer is on the front, partly because visibility is much better and partly because your steering is much closer to it. I'm pretty good at reversing a trailer, been doing it 50 years, but it's much less hassle with the hook on the front.

Thanks airhoguk, will give them a call.

I used to have a removable hitch on the front of my discovery for launching a large rib.

you could fabricate one that utilises the single towing eye. If you are boat launching it can more useful if the hitch is offset as you can see better down the side of the trailer.

I used to have a removable hitch on the front of my discovery for launching a large rib.

you could fabricate one that utilises the single towing eye. If you are boat launching it can more useful if the hitch is offset as you can see better down the side of the trailer.
Just out of interest, @Loz , is there a documented load limit for that towing eye in front? If it is a towing eye, it should be pretty high anyways.

Just out of interest, @Loz , is there a documented load limit for that towing eye in front? If it is a towing eye, it should be pretty high anyways.
It'll be rated for the weight of the van I would have thought, but you won't be towing with it so I don't see the issue.

Launching a boat down the slip is a fair bit easier if the trailer is on the front, partly because visibility is much better and partly because your steering is much closer to it. I'm pretty good at reversing a trailer, been doing it 50 years, but it's much less hassle with the hook on the front.

Thanks airhoguk, will give them a call.
Another vote for Watling Engineers. I had one of their detachable tow hooks on the front of my Toyota Landcruiser. I opted for a dual fitting which allowed the hitch to be fitted to the centre or offset for a better view down the side. Easy to fit because no electrics involved and you couldn't see it when the hitch was removed.

Watling Engineering have replied to an email enquiry and their T5 FTB fits the latest vans so all good there (they haven't updated the price list so I emailed to ask).

Watling Engineering have replied to an email enquiry and their T5 FTB fits the latest vans so all good there (they haven't updated the price list so I emailed to ask).
That's good news. I found that the front tow bar was great for getting trailers into very tight spaces and could do with one on the T6. I've still got the one that was on the Landcruiser, I may as well sell it and put the funds towards one for the T6.

The guy from Watling did say that getting the front bumper off a T6 is a right royal PIA and most people get them to fit it, which at £338.40 fitted seems a bargain. That said it's only £145 to buy which is even more of a bargain :)

The guy from Watling did say that getting the front bumper off a T6 is a right royal PIA and most people get them to fit it, which at £338.40 fitted seems a bargain. That said it's only £145 to buy which is even more of a bargain :)
Getting the bumper off is 10-15mins work, there'll be plenty on here, myself included who could do it blindfolded!

Front bumper is easy enough to remove, I’d be interested to see how it attaches and how ‘visible’ it is when not in use.

Back