Tow Bar vs Tow Hitch

campz

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi All,

After a fair bit of research I'm considering installing a tow hitch with a detectable tow bar as an option, rather than just a detectable toe bar. Does anyone have experience of this, and recommendations? I'm convinced it will give me more options for storage and pulling.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited:
You may find more results in a search using Tow Bar/Tow Hitch.

What do you see as the difference between them?

Do you mean this type of combination hitch?
-combination-trailer-hitch-22099016.jpg

If you want to tow a trailer or fit a bike carrier, all types of tow bars will do the job. The choice is between a fixed flange (with the ball hitch bolted on), a fixed swan neck (a bit neater looking,) or a detachable swan neck. It's done to how neat you want it to look when not in use and how much you are happy to spend. Have a look at You are being redirected...

Also, if you do a search, you'll get better results spelling it TOW.

If you want to tow a trailer or fit a bike carrier, all types of tow bars will do the job. The choice is between a fixed flange (with the ball hitch bolted on), a fixed swan neck (a bit neater looking,) or a detachable swan neck. It's done to how neat you want it to look when not in use and how much you are happy to spend. Have a look at You are being redirected...

Also, if you do a search, you'll get better results spelling it TOW.
OMG, I’ve just seen that. I was on a works call when I posted this

I like the look of that. I had seen them, but hadn't realised that the swing out arm was a separate part. I had though that when closed, you'd tow with it, but seeing that it gets replaced with a 'fixed' ball hitch, I see how it works.

I like the look of that. I had seen them, but hadn't realised that the swing out arm was a separate part. I had though that when closed, you'd tow with it, but seeing that it gets replaced with a 'fixed' ball hitch, I see how it works.
Yeah, I like the idea as it gives options and of the receiver is a standard size you could possible use multiple storage options

I hope these "receiver hitches" become more common, would allow a much wider array of accessories to be securely fitted on such as those five bike vertical racks you can get in the US.

That is neat, as you say would be neater if items could mount to it more directly as trying to clamp something that should solid (bike rack or box) onto something that is designed to allow full articulation is always an interesting engineering issue.

Back