Fridges & Cold Beer -- How I Done It --

So I've read quite a lot / most of this thread, but I'm a bit confused over the battery usage as the battery capacities mentioned in the thread are quoted as AmpHour

I have a portable power unit with a 1024 Wh capacity. So in my head that should run a 60 Watt coolbox/fridge for 17 hours (1024 / 60)

Or have I got that all wrong?
Yep. Correct.

If it's TE or absorption it will be a constant power draw. Ie 60w/wh.

But if it's a compressor fridge or will cycle on off giving you more run time as @Howzat mentioned above.

also for reference a 100ah lithium will have about 1200wh power.

A 100ah AGM will have about 600wh (50% dod)

100AH x 12 Vdc = 1200 Watt-Hours Therefore a 12Vdc 100AH battery has 1200 Watt-Hours of capacity. The Watt-Hour capacity of a battery bank is the sum of all the batteries connected in the system.

Last edited:

Alpicool X50 50L Coolbox Style Compressor Fridge, Cools to -20c - Van Camping​

Just out of interest, I found these on Ebay for £275 quids, though it looked okay. I'm also aware of a few Chinese companies knocking this kind of thing out by the truck load, for others to put their moniker on, so there's a good chance that these turn up wearing different liveries.

Has anyone tried these new 3" insulation cool boxes like the Yeti's?
I wonder how long they really last?
They claim ice up to 5 days but would like to hear from someone with one?

s-l1600-134.jpgs-l1600-133.jpg

Has anyone tried these new 3" insulation cool boxes like the Yeti's?
I wonder how long they really last?
They claim ice up to 5 days but would like to hear from someone with one?

View attachment 200457View attachment 200458
There is only one way to find out.... Lol. If the cooler boxes are anything like the mugs and flasks they will be pretty damn good. Interested to hear as well @dopeytree . When I looked at them there's the boxes then the price packs. Fairly adds up....

We have one, I suspect the 5 days is in perfect conditions and never opened. We took ours to Croatia last year as a drinks chiller - kept in the shade at all times - and found we were having to top up with ice every day to keep things cold - fortunately we carry an ice machine so it wasn't too onerous. A recent trip to Norfolk using the two ice packs as above, and they had both defrosted by the time we got home around 8 hours later, although the drinks themselves remained cold all day

50L for £224 !!!!

you aint getting cheaper than that !!!

20% off - HOT20

View attachment 164615

View attachment 164614

View attachment 164613

A year on this is £270.

@Samiguel have you tried this yet? Its only £50 off currently but tempted.
Not in the wild, but have used it for BBQ in the back garden. Really good so far, the dual zone feature is brilliant and is really spacious. It's well insulated as well; even after I turned it off, beers were still pretty chilled after a couple of days.

Alpicool x30
anyone got one ? Just over £200 at the moment
the only difference I can see is that it doesn’t have wheels,, but that’s not a problem..

just had a couple of nights away using a outwell cool box and it drove me mad.

want to try to keep the price under £300 if anyone can suggest a better unit
thanks
Panch

@Panch we have the just kampers own brand 45lt which for us has been perfect and never missed a beat BUT the alpicool cf45 looks identical to the JK one but £60 cheaper

@Panch we have the just kampers own brand 45lt which for us has been perfect and never missed a beat BUT the alpicool cf45 looks identical to the JK one but £60 cheaper

Thanks for the link
I think a 45ltr may be a bit too big for just 2 of us for 2 to 3 nights . But the alpicool cf35 might fit us better
It will need to sit behind the driver’s seat in our kombi

@Panch the 45lt can be used as a freezer and a refrigerator both at the same time as it has 2 compartments the smaller sizes in the same range have 2 separate compartments as well

Has anyone done any testing on fridge covers?

Saw an interesting youtube vid/test -

summary - cover was good when fridge was off but not so much when it's running

I was thinking of making one but now not so sure

Back