Fridge power requirements

A 15 A fuse will not blow immediately if your appliance draws more than 15A, yes the fridge may had a higher inrush current as it kicks in but the fuse will be fine.

Hi Folks

After some clarification on cable sizing...

I've just got a Dometic CRX50 compressor fridge and getting stuff together for the install.

When it comes to cable sizing, the tech specs for the fridge state 40w consumption and rated 5A.

Screenshot_20210203-200241_Drive.jpg

So on that basis, I've bought this cable from 12v planet. It's rated for 16.5A so my assumption was more than enough.

Screenshot_20210203-201834_Chrome.jpg

So the fridge arrived and the manual suggests a 10amp fuse which id expect, but a much thicker cable (4mm2).

Screenshot_20210203-200303_Drive.jpg

I read @Dellmassive's useful guide on cable sizing and 4mm2 cable is good for 39A which seems way over the top...

Screenshot_20210203-202853_Chrome.jpg

Where am I going wrong here, the fridge manual suggests I'd need the below cable from12v planet??

I get the idea of belt and braces and over rating the cable etc but if the draw is really closer to 5A for the fridge isn't that way OTT??

Sure I'm missing something stupid here, can someone please set me straight?

Screenshot_20210203-202623_Chrome.jpg

Cable has volt drop, a 6m run of 1sqmm cable pulling 4A will drop about 1V
If the fridge has a low voltage cutoff (to protect the battery), 12V at the battery will give 11V at the fridge, this may cause the fridge to cut out.
On switch on the fridge may pull much more than 4A for a short time (inrush), this make the situation even worse.
A 6m run of 4sqmm cable will only drop about 0.25A

Of course your installation may be a really short run of cable, and you may be ok with 1sqmm, do you want to do the maths, or just use 4sqmm? :)

Hope this helps

Fit the thicker cable. There have been instances when the higher current on start up has caused a greater voltage drop, and the fridge would not start. This is particularly true if the leisure battery is a bit depleted.

Pete

Cable has volt drop, a 6m run of 1sqmm cable pulling 4A will drop about 1V
If the fridge has a low voltage cutoff (to protect the battery), 12V at the battery will give 11V at the fridge, this may cause the fridge to cut out.
On switch on the fridge may pull much more than 4A for a short time (inrush), this make the situation even worse.
A 6m run of 4sqmm cable will only drop about 0.25A

Of course your installation may be a really short run of cable, and you may be ok with 1sqmm, do you want to do the maths, or just use 4sqmm? :)

Hope this helps
So the leisure battery is under the driver's seat and the fridge is going directly behind that so the cable run will be about 2m max. If I've got a 1mm2 cable that's rated to 16.5A is that likely to be fine??

Their 4.5mmsq is out of stock but I can get the 3mm which is good to 33A, that's surely got to cover it right?

The fridge manufacturer is telling you to fit 4mm2 wire. Not sure why you would ignore that, given you will have to rip all the wire out if the fridge doesn’t work.

Pete

PS Loads of cable on EBay

Last edited:
So the leisure battery is under the driver's seat and the fridge is going directly behind that so the cable run will be about 2m max. If I've got a 1mm2 cable that's rated to 16.5A is that likely to be fine??

Their 4.5mmsq is out of stock but I can get the 3mm which is good to 33A, that's surely got to cover it right?
Listen to Pete.

2m of 1sqmm drawing 4A will drop about 0.3Volts.
At inrush it may draw 16A, volts will drop by 1.2V then, will your fridge cope?

Want cold beer next summer on a hot day? Fit 4sqmm.

My fridge/fusebox are in the same places yours are, I used 4sqmm.

Thanks Pete makes sense, will try and find some 4mm somewhere. Just wanted to understand where the maths fall down, technically the thinner cable should be sufficient but assuming the startup Amps must be much higher than 5A hence the need for the thicker cable.
Out of interest, the maths does not fall down, 1sqmm will carry 16A continously, as you say, it would also cope with any inrush a fridge may cause. The current rating is NOT the issue.

The issue is VOLT DROP. In a house with 240V, we don't care if a 1mm cable drops 2/3/4 Volts, your house fridge will be fine with 236V. In a van we are starting with only 12V, we don't want to even lose 0.5V if we can help it.

@travelvolts does pre-prepared cables for this - that’s what I used.

Pete
Have bought quite a few bits from Travelvolts and the stuff is great but the shipping costs are nuts.

£15 for the cable but another £10 for shipping??

Edit: I've gone for the Travelvolts one but that website isn't half annoying. Everything is listed ex VAT, so what's listed as a £15 cable set actually costs £30 at the final stage of checkout after shipping and VAT!

Last edited:
Thanks Pete makes sense, will try and find some 4mm somewhere. Just wanted to understand where the maths fall down, technically the thinner cable should be sufficient but assuming the startup Amps must be much higher than 5A hence the need for the thicker cable.
Get some 4mm tri rated from ebay.

Have bought quite a few bits from Travelvolts and the stuff is great but the shipping costs are nuts.

£15 for the cable but another £10 for shipping??

Edit: I've gone for the Travelvolts one but that website isn't half annoying. Everything is listed ex VAT, so what's listed as a £15 cable set actually costs £30 at the final stage of checkout after shipping and VAT!
Yes, I thought when selling to public prices displayed should include vat.

They do at checkout before you pay.
It's about annoying to get all the way to the final page before you see the actual price. Just comes as a bit of a shock when the price for the item doubles with shipping at final stage.

Most sites that sell direct to consumer display prices including VAT at the first instance.

Not knocking them, they've been a great help throughout my build but I wish they'd get a better website!

Back