Fridge install and compressor location

Andysmee

Previously the last of the TSI's
VIP Member
T6 Legend
So... if I read the advice right, the difference between a cabinet fridge and a top loading fridge is that the compressor is mounted appropriately upright in each configuration; on the back of a cabinet fridge upright and on the bottom of a top loading fridge upright, so that the oil in the compressor drains to the sump in both cases.

Hence, you can't use a cabinet fridge as a top loading fridge simply by laying it on its back, because the compressor would be on its side.

Except... if the compressor can be removed up to 1m away from the box, and orientated upright, then the fridge box can be in any orientation, right?

So...for example, I could use an Isotherm CR42 as a top loader now and as a cabinet later, so long as the compressor is always upright when in use (and for some time to settle when it's ever inverted for some reason)

Behold, the "really useful" top loading and later to be installed in the van as a cabinet, fridge:

Requires:
  1. Webasto CR42 or similar fridge with compressor that can be removed (up to 1.5m away)
  2. 84L really useful box and matching really useful crate (from The Works online)
  3. Lithium all-in-one "solar generator" battery pack
  4. Solar panels for charge

PXL_20210826_141650198.MP.jpg

PXL_20210826_141150080.jpg

PXL_20210826_141206202.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
I like your style! I’ve been considering a remote compressor fridge, as it gets a 75l fridge in a small space. Thinking about mounting compressor under the driver’s seat in a future van. Point the exhaust to the back, and it’s an extra fan heater.

How noisy is the exposed unit? I was considering building a box around it with some Dodo noise deadening mat.

Something like this

We had it in the awning, so can't tell how noisy it is, but quiet for sure

I like your style! I’ve been considering a remote compressor fridge, as it gets a 75l fridge in a small space. Thinking about mounting compressor under the driver’s seat in a future van. Point the exhaust to the back, and it’s an extra fan heater.

How noisy is the exposed unit? I was considering building a box around it with some Dodo noise deadening mat.

Something like this
You may need a filter gauze as the footwell gets dirty.

Just added a voltage meter to the top loading "really useful" fridge setup for another season's camping.

PXL_20220526_101919968.jpg

There's a guy called Julian Ilett on YouTube who did a tear down of my PowerOak power pack and noted that the 3A outputs (jack sockets) are not boosted, so the voltage drops with battery discharge, so hooked it up to that. The cig lighter socket is boosted and stays at 13.3V (
).

I left it too late to get a Bluetooth voltage logger, but have a temperature logger on the way.

Reactions: CAB
Hi guys, this looks like a old thread, but has anyone mounted the separate fridge compressor from Webasto, under the van in the protective box with ventilation?

Interesting. Not heard of that mod before.

Hi guys, this looks like a old thread, but has anyone mounted the separate fridge compressor from Webasto, under the van in the protective box with ventilation?
Presumably you would need to exhaust and collect the gas, disconnect the pipe, thread it through the floor, and regas the fridge? Or make a compressor sized hole in the floor?

Theoretically possible, maybe an aircon engineer would have the equipment to do it safely?

Sounds a bit over the top. It would need a fair bit of protection under the van. In other news, we're still using the fridge in the really useful box in the awning third season in! We have a pop top in but still not moved to furniture and electrics :rolleyes:

I think any gain from a lower ambient temperature would be negated by matrix contamination from road crud.
In addition in a reasonable UK summer the external temperature is higher than the inside of the van when on the road.

Behold, the "really useful" top loading and later to be installed in the van as a cabinet, fridge:

Requires:
  1. Webasto CR42 or similar fridge with compressor that can be removed (up to 1.5m away)
  2. 84L really useful box and matching really useful crate (from The Works online)
  3. Lithium all-in-one "solar generator" battery pack
  4. Solar panels for charge

View attachment 128403

View attachment 128404

View attachment 128405
Hi I'm thinking of doing this with an Apicool AD50 to run it as a chest top loading fridge in a side unit. - is there enough flex in the compressor connections when you disconnect it from its mounts and turn the unit on its side?

Hi I'm thinking of doing this with an Apicool AD50 to run it as a chest top loading fridge in a side unit. - is there enough flex in the compressor connections when you disconnect it from its mounts and turn the unit on its side?
On this particular model, yes, as it's designed to have the compressor up to a metre away, but if you are detaching a built-in compressor all bets are off.

Remember compressors do need to be the right way up as the refrigerant has to drain to the sump, but the fridge box can be any orientation you like, supposing the pipes can handle it

Ah I see didn't realise your model was designed to have the compressor detached - so i'll bin that idea - thanks for the speedy reply

Back