French Speeding Fine

In France at the moment. Not easy sticking to their 70 and 50 km limits. Let alone the 90 and 110.

And then you have the decision on rain and whether the 130 should be reduced to 110.

Trying to drive within the limits is not easy

Cruise control?

I recently read as well that local authorities have been given the autonomy to make their own decisions on the 80/90 kmh speed limits on A & B roads. So some maybe 80kmh while others are 90kmh further adding further confusion to the speed limit lottery!

We’ve recently returned from our 3 week French trip, to be greeted with a speeding fine already waiting for us!
Luckily it’s only €45 (as long as it is paid within a set period).
Has anyone else been unfortunate enough to get one, and more importantly does it have to be paid? I wondered if it more of a warning/threat, or does it have any legal obligation?

On a more positive note we had an amazing time touring. Having the van made it a totally different experience.
Out of curiosity, is the ticket from the French government or is it from a private debt collection agency?

Yes mate. Lovely site for that close to Calais.
I got flashed by the speed camera just down the road from there coming form the motorway to the site. I asked the lads from the site and they told me to ignore it as the police aren’t interested. Fair play they never perused me and I’ve been back 4 times since then:thumbsup:

I got flashed by the speed camera just down the road from there coming form the motorway to the site. I asked the lads from the site and they told me to ignore it as the police aren’t interested. Fair play they never perused me and I’ve been back 4 times since then:thumbsup:

Sounds like the same camera hopefully.

In Italy I didn’t what know to do at the motorway tolls - so I panicked and drove on through. When I got home I felt the guilt and suspected there would be photo evidence so I contacted the authorities, came clean & paid my tolls. No penalties either.

Had a
In Italy I didn’t what know to do at the motorway tolls - so I panicked and drove on through. When I got home I felt the guilt and suspected there would be photo evidence so I contacted the authorities, came clean & paid my tolls. No penalties either.

My Italian tolls tale (not a tall tale) was when I put my ticket in, the machine took it but did nothing as if it still wanted my ticket.

I couldn’t do anything as the barrier was down and I didn’t have a ticket as I had already put it into the machine. Eventually a lady came over in high viz and explained that I should put my ticket in the slot (like I was stupid)

She didn’t believe that I had put a ticket in so eventually we agreed that I should clear the toll and we could sort it out ‘over there’, this was when she made the mistake of opening the barrier to allow me to move the 50 or so yards.

I left at very high speed, much to the amusement of my friends who were waiting for me at the lay-bye just past the toll booth.

I was on a bike and decided that it would be best to stay away from Italy on that particular machine.

It's not enforceable, cross border agreement is for crime prevention. Speeding offences come under transport. Plus, the liability is driver not owner in France.

Back