French Speeding Fine

T6 Owl

T6 Pro
We’ve recently returned from our 3 week French trip, to be greeted with a speeding fine already waiting for us!
Luckily it’s only €45 (as long as it is paid within a set period).
Has anyone else been unfortunate enough to get one, and more importantly does it have to be paid? I wondered if it more of a warning/threat, or does it have any legal obligation?

On a more positive note we had an amazing time touring. Having the van made it a totally different experience.

Yes you need to pay it. They will pursue it if unpaid. This is a recent agreement, between the uk and france.

I don't know about traffic fees, but I had a 26 Euro Hospital bill. They would only accept payment in Euros, so I had to ask a friend of a friend that lives in France to pay it as I couldn't do a bank transfer from any of my UK accounts.

If you don’t pay it then it will remain on record and next time you are over monsieur gendarmes will have great pleasure in inflicting as much pain as possible.
And it will be a lot more than 45. I would suggest you bite the bullet and pay it.

thought as much.
Just thought I would check, as I know until recently anyone from outside France were never pursued as far as speeding fines went.
Thought it might be just a scare tactic on the back of Brexit!!

BE990742-0496-48FE-AA3A-3BADBE44E926.jpeg
thought as much.
Just thought I would check, as I know until recently anyone from outside France were never pursued as far as speeding fines went.
Thought it might be just a scare tactic on the back of Brexit!!
Unfortunately no. They probably won’t bother to pursue you through the U.K. courts but your reg number will be on their database just waiting for you to return.........

you probably got caught by one of these

High-tech!!

I’ll pay up then, don’t suppose it’s worth any hassle for the sake of €45.
Just hope no more fall through the letterbox from the rest of the trip :unsure:

High-tech!!

I’ll pay up then, don’t suppose it’s worth any hassle for the sake of €45.
Just hope no more fall through the letterbox from the rest of the trip :unsure:
I collected 3 in one trip Last year and I didn’t think I was speeding at any time we were just meandering along.
We off again on Sunday for another trip and will be using Waze this time!

I collected 3 in one trip Last year and I didn’t think I was speeding at any time we were just meandering along.
I thought I was being cautious with regards to speed limits, plus we never in any rush to get anywhere! not cautious enough obviously!

Be careful with that one. Having the speed camera warning settings switched on when using Waze or similar, is illegal in France and some other countries on the continent.

If you don't pay the fine, the next time you cross the Channel your vehicle may be impounded.
They're pretty hot with speeding UK drivers at the moment.

I got home from France on Sunday, and on the way out of the last site near Calais, I got flashed in my Motorhome.
I've not heard anything as yet, but I wouldn't ignore it if I do get one.

I also returned from two weeks in Brittany on Sunday .

1st speeding ticket on the mat this morning from my 1st day there, 14th August!
118kmh in a 110 kmh .

I have a feeling there will be more !!

Never saw a single flash !

My last trip over they were pulling hgv’s and vans on Belgian border, monsieur gendarme asked politely to check if sat nav had speed camera alerts turned on and if I had any unpaid speeding fines. They seem to be red hot on all non french plated vehicles at the minute.
Defo pay its not worth the hassle next time

I got home from France on Sunday, and on the way out of the last site near Calais, I got flashed in my Motorhome.
I've not heard anything as yet, but I wouldn't ignore it if I do get one.
Did you go to Chateau du Granspette?

In France at the moment. Not easy sticking to their 70 and 50 km limits. Let alone the 90 and 110.

And then you have the decision on rain and whether the 130 should be reduced to 110.

Trying to drive within the limits is not easy

Last edited:
Back