Floor lashings - Aircraft style rails

Nige_g

Retired
T6 Guru
My van has a Reimo variotech rear seat and has what I believe are called aircraft style rails. I want to fix lashing points to the rails and also a forty winks bike station. Having looked on the reimo website/Amazon/E bay, lashing fixings are available that slot into the holes. All well and good, but my floor rail only has holes in the relevant places where the seat can be positioned and not a rail with evenly spaced holes. At the rear of the van there is just the slot without holes so items such as this wouldn't work, 4 x 250 kg 5 m Cam buckle straps with End fitting for lashing rail Clamp lock lashing straps for airline rails 2 parts: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike as the securing area is between the 2 holes which I don't have. I have also seen the T bar style of fitting which seem to be designed for other rail designs such as the caravelle ones but may well work OK on my system.

As I am also looking to secure one of the bike stations I also need one that needs to be a threaded bolt as opposed to one of the spring loaded ones as per the Amazon link above.

Has anyone got any fixings that they have used that hasn't damaged the rails and more importantly haven't broken, as you never know what sort of crap you could end up with from E bay etc?

Thanks

Just drill new cut outs circles at your required points for the spring clip type.

For the bike station I would drill and thread a hole in the base of the rail as they are normally quite thick though im used to the real aircraft rails and not the aftermarket domestic use versions.

The T bar fixing won't work in the aircraft rails unless its a special design with teeth inside the rail for the T to go into.

Just drill new cut outs circles at your required points for the spring clip type.

For the bike station I would drill and thread a hole in the base of the rail as they are normally quite thick though im used to the real aircraft rails and not the aftermarket domestic use versions.

The T bar fixing won't work in the aircraft rails unless its a special design with teeth inside the rail for the T to go into.
Drilling holes in the top part of the rail was going to be an option but I was seeing if there were alternatives. The internal width of the rail is 30mm and some of the T bars I have seen are 40mm width so would need to be angled in or cut down (unless I find 30mm ones) The Twowinds ones on Amazon do not give item measurements unfortunately.

The ones that Ali G uses then, you wouldn't recommend? If they are turned tightly, do they really need the teeth in the rail if it is just for securing light loads (such as camping stuff to stop it sliding around) or even securing the bike just with straps and not the bike station?

@Ali-G are your rails the same?

rails.jpg

Last edited:
I'll give them a go, cheers.
Nice looking interior you have there.

I have e mailed Fortywinks to see if they offer attachments for this type of rail rather than bodge my own (and with my skills it would be a bodge!)

Last edited:
I mainly use mine to secure the dogs crate, but I have used them to secure wheels and large items of furniture for the tip.

3A6CBCDE-4B82-41D8-BCB3-0AF66AF4DD4F.jpeg4466E00C-3FF2-47C6-8ADB-6CE346D1BC56.jpeg

DrillingThe internal width of the rail is 30mm and some of the T bars I have seen are 40mm width so would need to be angled in or cut down (unless I find 30mm ones) The Twowinds ones on Amazon do not give item measurements unfortunately.

Those measurements are okay Nige. If the tee was 30mm it would just spin in the rail when you tried to tighten it.

For the benefit of our dear readers who might be interested in securing rails.
As an alternative to those shown, you can purchase raised or flush mounted rails that go by the trade names of Unwin rails or L track.
Various fittings are available to secure loads/pedal cycles/ motorcycles.

1C6427EF-B2ED-4A3F-BAB5-779DA54AFCF0.jpeg

Back