Filling the wheel arch ....

IMG_6684.JPG Hi all sorry if this is a dumb question but despite the amazing info on this forum I gotta ask ...
So my T6 PV has been converted but still looks like a van around the wheel arches
I like the look of replacing the stock 16" Clayton alloys with some 18" s probably in black
Obviously this increases the diameter by2" but will that be negated by the lower profile tyres that I will need with a smaller sidewall therefore not really filling up the wheel arches much at all , or have I got that all wrong ?
Which leads to my next question ... would I need to lower as well . Can't really afford to do both so hoping the wheel change will do the trick
Any advice much appreciated....pic above if that helps
Xheeers
Mark

Hi Mark,
Nice van :thumbsup:
You are correct that when you increase the size of the wheels, you decrease the size of the rubber so that the overall tyre size is the same.
However, bigger wheels (and different wheel styles) do look different, and some seem to fill the arches more than others.

View attachment 13198 Hi all sorry if this is a dumb question but despite the amazing info on this forum I gotta ask ...
So my T6 PV has been converted but still looks like a van around the wheel arches
I like the look of replacing the stock 16" Clayton alloys with some 18" s probably in black
Obviously this increases the diameter by2" but will that be negated by the lower profile tyres that I will need with a smaller sidewall therefore not really filling up the wheel arches much at all , or have I got that all wrong ?
Which leads to my next question ... would I need to lower as well . Can't really afford to do both so hoping the wheel change will do the trick
Any advice much appreciated....pic above if that helps
Xheeers
Mark
I think many of us have had similar thoughts at one time or another; for what its worth
Upgrading your suspension to B14 would give you much more than just aesthetics; and you can lower it bit or a lot or in-between; or change your mind regularly
You might be able to sell your claytons, and buy some secondhand Devonports 17" or 18" sport line for a really good price
You could then go slightly bigger with your rubber 17" 235/55/17 to 235/60/17
18" to 235/55/18. Both about 3.5% bigger on rolling radius; go much bigger and you may notice the change to gearing. Infact you could do the same with 19", but it may cost you more.
For me, if you stick with 235 tyres and standard(ish) wheels, you need 25mm or so wheel spacers all round.......this makes a big big difference to the stance of the van.
Just my thoughts, but there are lots more ways to skin a cat.......

I think many of us have had similar thoughts at one time or another; for what its worth
Upgrading your suspension to B14 would give you much more than just aesthetics; and you can lower it bit or a lot or in-between; or change your mind regularly
You might be able to sell your claytons, and buy some secondhand Devonports 17" or 18" sport line for a really good price
You could then go slightly bigger with your rubber 17" 235/55/17 to 235/60/17
18" to 235/55/18. Both about 3.5% bigger on rolling radius; go much bigger and you may notice the change to gearing. Infact you could do the same with 19", but it may cost you more.
For me, if you stick with 235 tyres and standard(ish) wheels, you need 25mm or so wheel spacers all round.......this makes a big big difference to the stance of the van.
Just my thoughts, but there are lots more ways to skin a cat.......
so my choice is down 20mm on suspension, up 10mm on tyre radius. Net effect 30mm less gap on wheels arches; but only 10mm less ground clearance; add 25mm spacers; and with 235/60/17 a really good ride, and pothole proof(ish)

I'm still torn. I want to lower my van and from reading the many posts it seems B14's are the way to go. Now I see that @Walski has Airride. Is that adjustable from within the cab? if so what is the height or drop distances. Also does anyone have an idea on cost to retro fit.
I realise lowering isn't everyones cup of tea but I fancy dropping mine by around 40-50 mm, mainly to lose the boaty feel but also for better handling.
Any views and advice will be most welcome.
PS. I'm happy to keep my 17" Devonports.

Lowering will reduce the gap between the top of the tyre and the arch, wheel offset or spacers will affect the poke.

Also, be aware that lowering also tends to pull the wheels inwards, so ideally you need to lower and add spacers or get a different wheel offset / tyre combo.

I'm running B14's with 19 inch wheels, these have a greater offset and a slightly bigger rolling radius due to needing T32 load rated tyres.

I'm still torn. I want to lower my van and from reading the many posts it seems B14's are the way to go. Now I see that @Walski has Airride. Is that adjustable from within the cab? if so what is the height or drop distances. Also does anyone have an idea on cost to retro fit.
I realise lowering isn't everyones cup of tea but I fancy dropping mine by around 40-50 mm, mainly to lose the boaty feel but also for better handling.
Remember to look at the stiffer anti-roll bars, which have been well reviewed on this forum as well, "H&R"

Remember to look at the stiffer anti-roll bars, which have been well reviewed on this forum as well, "H&R"
Excuse my ignorance but thats where I get confused. I assume H&R will firm up the roll (boatyness) but doesn't lower it ?
In which case I need to do both ?

Yes mate fully adjustable from inside the van if you get a good management system. I've got a credit card sized controller on the dash that allows adjustment to 5 different preset heights or individual adjustment at each corner. Can also adjust from my phone via app either inside or outside the van. Cost.... mmmnnn £5k for a decent system fitted.

Yes mate fully adjustable from inside the van if you get a good management system. I've got a credit card sized controller on the dash that allows adjustment to 5 different preset heights or individual adjustment at each corner. Can also adjust from my phone via app either inside or outside the van. Cost.... mmmnnn £5k for a decent system fitted.
Sounds brilliant but at £5k it will have to wait. Maybe when the B14's expire.

How do air ride handle? I get they look crazy good when sat on its ass but how does it perform in comparison to b14s?

Pretty much the same as Bilstein I think..... to be fair the HPdrivetech set up I've got use Bilstein shocks so I guess they should.

Back