Fill out arches on unlowered van with 20’s

LoganB

Hello all I'm just after some advice around replacing the tyres on my t28.

It's currently on 245/45 R20's but they don't seem to fill the arch as much as I'd like. I'm not wanting to have it lowered yet and was wondering what the best tyre would be to try and fill more of the arch without losing an element of the low profile.

I'm seeing a lot of comments about 275/35's or 255/40's. If I'm I'm honest I'm a bit lost on the subject now! Makes me wonder whether I just need to commit to Eibach 30mm lowering springs?!

Any above is appreciated.

Hello all I'm just after some advice around replacing the tyres on my t28.

It's currently on 245/45 R20's but they don't seem to fill the arch as much as I'd like. I'm not wanting to have it lowered yet and was wondering what the best tyre would be to try and fill more of the arch without losing an element of the low profile.

I'm seeing a lot of comments about 275/35's or 255/40's. If I'm I'm honest I'm a bit lost on the subject now! Makes me wonder whether I just need to commit to Eibach 30mm lowering springs?!

Any above is appreciated.
The tyre and wheel combo you have are slightly larger than a standard vw wheel setup the 275/35 and 255/40 are smaller still to give you the look you want you need to lower the van.

Could it be the offset of the wheels or the fact that it’s not lowered.
I’ve got 245/45/20 on the front of mine and they fill the arches nicely. I have 275/40/20 on the rear and they fit just fine.
I think 245 on the rear wouldn’t look quite as good.
I had 275 at the front and they looked too wide and were heavy on the steering.

Could it be the offset of the wheels or the fact that it’s not lowered.
I’ve got 245/45/20 on the front of mine and they fill the arches nicely. I have 275/40/20 on the rear and they fit just fine.
I think 245 on the rear wouldn’t look quite as good.
I had 275 at the front and they looked too wide and were heavy on the steering.
But have you lowered your van and if so how much i have 245/40 and lowered 65mm

Thanks for the advice so far. I'm thinking on the back of it then that maybe a 30mm drop and and 255/50 or 55 may be a decent trade off to get the fuller arch. I'm trying to keep to a budget because as you can imagine I paid over the odds for the van this time of year and there's plenty of other things on the list that I'd like to do ready for spring.

The previous owner put the 20's on I would have been more inclined to put an 18 or 19 on but they're here and they're sound enough.

I suppose its probably for another thread but has anyone got any opinions on the Eibach 30mm lowering springs as a cheaper way to drop the van? Can't stretch the B14's yet. I've read that the sport line is actually factory fitted with the 30mm Eibach's so surely worries about stressing drive shafts don't exist and with such a relatively small drop the existing suspension would take them and the ride comfort doesn't alter much?

Thanks for the advice so far. I'm thinking on the back of it then that maybe a 30mm drop and and 255/50 or 55 may be a decent trade off to get the fuller arch. I'm trying to keep to a budget because as you can imagine I paid over the odds for the van this time of year and there's plenty of other things on the list that I'd like to do ready for spring.

The previous owner put the 20's on I would have been more inclined to put an 18 or 19 on but they're here and they're sound enough.

I suppose its probably for another thread but has anyone got any opinions on the Eibach 30mm lowering springs as a cheaper way to drop the van? Can't stretch the B14's yet. I've read that the sport line is actually factory fitted with the 30mm Eibach's so surely worries about stressing drive shafts don't exist and with such a relatively small drop the existing suspension would take them and the ride comfort doesn't alter much?
I would imagine that most people on here started out trying to stick to a budget and very quickly blew it. it seems most eventually end up with coilovers or air having been through various wallet emptying suspension variants along the way. I know i did.

I would imagine that most people on here started out trying to stick to a budget and very quickly blew it. it seems most eventually end up with coilovers or air having been through various wallet emptying suspension variants along the way. I know i did.
Still considering the H & R 40mm springs know I'll regret it but its like telling a kid not to touch something hot.. they're compelled!

Using shorter springs still leaves you with the stock VW shock absorbers which are 5hite and now have even less travel to absorb any see sawing through corners or camber changes.
Price wise a used set of B14s take some beating but Steve @CRS Performance can advise on replacement fixed shorter springs and decent shocks to suit the reduced travel.

IMHO you will not achieve what you want. You will need to fit balloon tyres that will look silly, probably rub as the arch width is smaller that the arch gap height you are trying to fill, and performance will suck.
The 245/45/20 are already as big as I’d want to go as they are bigger than stock for rolling diameter.

The only way to do it is lower the van. Again, IMHO you are wasting your time with just springs. Coilovers are the way to go, but they will give your budget a kicking.
I’d avoid B14’s if I were you. Really crap springs that are mostly coil bound and break often (they are not bilstein either) and single tube shocks primarily designed for the track. Bilstein do not endorse this kit either. Check their website.
If you want looks, comfort with 20’s, and to be able to set the height to how you want it to look, then talk to Steve at CRS but put £1500 aside to achieve it.

Back