[Resolved] Delayed Engine starting when turning the key - out of fuel.

So, AA man couldn't get it started, so it ended up on a trailer and being taken to a garage (local VAG independent). They reckon the fuel gauge is playing up....it was showing c1/4 of a tank initially for them (and me), but later showed empty. They put fuel in and it worked.....really odd as the AA man also put some fuel in but could not get it started.....garage will do some more investigations next week.....

So it was out of fuel all along.... :thumbsup:

Refulling procedure after running the tank dry requires VCDS or other to drive the two lift pumps to purge the air out the lines and get good fuel back up to the HPFP.

I got caught out by this on my old T5..... And they haven't changed the setup since. ( To stop the van burning out the fuel pumps on a dry tank..... So you need to re fuel.... Then run the pumps with diagnostic)

Glad your running again.

Keep us posted about the incorrect fuel gauge reading.

what was the solution to the OP issue ? . . . i didn't see a definite answer?

at least we know that @EegsT6 was fuel related.

Have the T6 back at last, with new battery ( and cambelt/waterpump). Garage did not resolve the fuel gauge issue. I've just put £100 of fuel in (just over 50 litres ). With what the digital read out said was 75 miles of range before refueling I reckoned that equated to c60 litres. The tank is 80 litres. The digital range now says 395 miles, the tank says it is brimmed. It should say over 500 (optimistic, I know). By my reckoning this means the analogue gauge is overstating fuel remaining by c15-20 litres. This would explain non starting issue with tank saying 1/4 full, parked on a sloping drive. I can live with this, but will still need to resolve at some point.....

Back