Engine Smoking - Not Convinced Its A Regen

Dan M

Hi all,

I'm not convinced this is a re-gen but hopefully you kind people might be able to shed some light before I head off to the VW garage. Youtube video link at the below as its difficult to get a good photo

Would be good to know if this is what a regen looks like or if I have a problem.

Cheers,
Dan

Last edited:
Regens dont cause smoke from the engine it all goes out the exhaust
I would take it to your dealer

My Touareg used to do that, it was caused by water that had splashed up onto the hot radiator whist driving, you see it when you pull up.
So technically it is steam not smoke.

My Touareg used to do that, it was caused by water that had splashed up onto the hot radiator whist driving, you see it when you pull up.
So technically it is steam not smoke.

So did my Vivaro.
Took me ages to work out where it was coming from, but it was where water had been forced into the engine bay during wet weather and big puddles.

Technically, steam is actually invisible, it’s actually water vapour :whistle:

I would say it definitely has a smell to it but hard to say what it is. Its in for a service on Friday so I've mentioned for them to have a look - will update if they come to a conclusion..

Just an update for anyone who comes across something similar - the breather pipe at the back of the engine had come off and was dripping oil onto the hot exhaust causing the smoke. Never notice any oil on the driveway or any consumption that concerned me. Covered under warranty.

Cheers

Thanks for the update, Im having a similar issue with my 204 kombi I think, keep getting the smell of oil smoke coming through the air vents when sat in traffic. Any more info I can give to the dealer when mine goes in so I can convince them to check it out?

Thanks

Thanks for the update, Im having a similar issue with my 204 kombi I think, keep getting the smell of oil smoke coming through the air vents when sat in traffic. Any more info I can give to the dealer when mine goes in so I can convince them to check it out?

Thanks

Hi Krusty,

Not much more info to give, they initially tried saying it's probably a regen but I showed them the video and said it was doing it quite often not just during a regents - remember them saying it was a ball ache to access. Let us know how you get on

I have this a few times now and it was the exhaust slip ring which is tightened up by an alan key. The issue is it works itself loose. You need a long alan key or ratchet adaptor. You can only tighten this from under the van.

Back