Engine code CXHA and CXFA

Unimog

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I understand from reading the VW Self Study Program 564 document, that the 150hp engine is available in two models. The CXHA and the CXFA, the difference being the FA is fitted with a pair of balance shafts designed to iron out bad harmonics. Does anybody know why there are two different models. Could it be the the FA is fitted to non box van models such as Combi and California as the balance shaft may make the engine quieter, or is the FA designed to match DSG.

Is it acceptable to re map the HA version without balance shafts, as the increase in power may produce damaging harmonics ( high pitch vibration). Although I also read Vw has experienced balance shaft bearing.

The VW Self Study Program 564 suggested that CXFA would have been paired with DSG.
However, this far 17 VCDS scans of T6 and T6.1 vans with CXFA engines can be found

15 are class M1 vehicles (Caravelle, Multivan, California)​
- 14 of them have DSG, of which 2 are 4Motion​
- 1 with manual gearbox FWD + a California

1 class N1 van DSG with 4Motion​
1 class N1 van with manual gearbox FWD​

Evidently I am the lucky owner of such a engine ;)

20211017_204439.jpg

• Love
Reactions: mmi
I've just bought a 2021 CXHA 150 with DSG, ie without balancer shafts and I'm finding it very noisy and harsh when driving hard in the low gears, and in reverse, compared to my (now written off) 2.5 5cyl T5. It does drive smoothly at higher speeds, and when driving gently.
I recently test drove a CXEB 204 DSG with balancer shafts, and it was very smooth, so they do work well, and are probably an improvement on the old CFCA 180 type of balancer shafts, which are a bolt on component underneath the block incorporating the oil pump.

1639612640133.png

Back