Electrical conduit? Split sleeving?

Sniggib

Hi all,

Do you all use conduit in your vans for wiring or just run direct / with wiring loom tape.

I've seen lots of videos using miles of conduit, and whilst I can see the benefit in some situations in a T6 it seems to perhaps be overkill?

I was planning on using some conduit ti run all cables to the back of the van, but then just using wiring loom tape to keep things together as the wires spread out to their destinations.

Appreciate your thoughts / experiences.

Cheers,

In my current job I've got lots of solutions available to me (Aircraft Wiring systems) I haven't got any previous experience with automotive wiring protection but I would always protect wiring from chafing if i had the chance.

ETFE Spiral Wrap / Nomex braiding sleeve, also a retro-fit wrap-around variant are used a lot in avionics, Let me know if you want any information but it's probably a bit overkill.

I use conduit whenever I do any wiring on my boat because it’s neater, and because it’s a requirement of the boat safety scheme, but I only use the corrugated type, either split or non-split from ebay suppliers, or the likes of 12volt planet. Personally I would use it on my van as it protects from chafing. The very least I’d do is thoroughly wrap the cables with insulating tape.

It’s cheap so why not use it?
You may well want to pull additional / replace cables at a later date, without conduit it will be difficult.

Thanks all.

Yes was thinking of using for main 'trunks' and also to protect chafing areas etc.

Just noticed that the factory fit looms don't tend to use conduit.

Cheers

Thanks all.

Yes was thinking of using for main 'trunks' and also to protect chafing areas etc.

Just noticed that the factory fit looms don't tend to use conduit.

Cheers
If VW can reduce the build cost by 30 quid on a million vans it’s 30M in the bank.

If you can ensure there is going to be no chafing then conduit not needed, however where going through holes use grommets, bushes etc or if through voids where you don’t know what sharp edges there are then use conduit to protect cables. Externally we always use conduit in a closed run to protect against mechanical damage and a road dirt. Also support all cables and conduits at relevant intervals. I Always treat vehicles as vibratuon machines so woulld protect cables slightly different to fixed installations

Cheers,

Ian

I use conduit if it would be very difficult to remove everything to get a new wire through, otherwise I use the split sleeving as others have mentioned (get the little plastic tool, I found it much qucker with it).

Back